the Yukk drink | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

the Yukk drink the Yukk drink

Unread 06-05-2005, 05:43 AM
the Yukk drink

I need help I have to drink 2 bottle of that mag. citrate. I have had this before but it makes me gag and vomit. Any suggestions on how to take it to make it go down I am on a liquid diet that day so if I vomit it will be all liquid. Somebody told me to mix it with ginger ale. Has any body done this? What if I can't keep it down then what do I do> Please help ladies!
Thanks

Kathleen

______________-
June 9th TAH,BSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2005, 06:27 AM
the yucky stuff

I too had to drink that lovely stuff. I only had to drink one bottle. Why do you have to do two? If I can ask. I was told not to mix it but to get it cold that would help it taste like 7 up. I tried it. To me it still tasted gross. I don't think that anything can help that stuff. I would ask your dr if you can mix it. Maybe I was told wrong? Good luck.
Unread 06-05-2005, 06:40 AM
the Yukk drink

My surgery is Tuesday - having same thing done as you. I have to drink one bottle and then later do a Fleet's - yikes. I gag on cough medicine, so like you, I'm not looking forward to that. Especially with having the preop jidders. I was told to get it very cold and then drink as fast as you can. I hope we can keep it down

I've been cleaning like a maniac. Now time to go stock up at the grocery store. Best wishes for your yucky drink and surgery.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2005, 08:00 AM
the Yukk drink

I just finished mine last night and still am enjoying the delightful results today. I found cherry flavor and got it very cold. I like you have trouble with gag reflux. I drank as fast as I could and quickly chased it with *very* cold ice water. Towards the end of the bottle when even looking at it is difficult I held my nose together and drank it and again follwed it with water. The was a suggestion by one of the hostessess to hold a lavendar sachet under your nose to help. The hold my nose helped alot and so did the cold water. Someone else suggested using a straw. I just tried to guzzle as much as I could at once then chased it with the water so the taste wasn't stuck in my mouth. I didn't get sick this time. The enema i waited until my stomach was settled. And here I go again tonight! Good luck to you I will be thinking of you as I perform the sacred cleansing of the bowel ritual myself. Lemon drops help too! but I don't think they are a clear liquidgood luck, Marg
Marg
Unread 06-05-2005, 09:33 AM
the Yukk drink

Be glad you don't have to drink the gallon of Colyte! I think that was one of the worst parts of the whole thing for me. I don't think I will EVER be able to do that again! My brother in law said the cherry mag citrate was the best, he said it tasted like a jolly rancher! I know I tried gulping the colyte, but ended up throwing up some, so I just took large swigs and deep breathed in between each gulp which seems to help. Good luck to all of you doing the bowel prep! Tiffany
Unread 06-05-2005, 10:27 AM
the Yukk drink

Kathleen, I would for sure check with the DR. to see if you need to drink both. I was sent home with 2 bottles and called in a panic to find out. I was told the second bottle was just a backup in case i threw up the first. Yes it tastes bad, I like many others gulped and chased with ice water.
. Yes it was hard to swallow and the bottle seemed like it contained 40 ounces of this vile liquid. My point is that once I got through that I felt like I could take on a "little" surgery with no problem.
. You CAN do this and you ARE a strong woman who perserveres in times of trouble. We are all behind you and holding you up from our recovery beds and our mini-vans. Feel our support and let go of the reins.
. We love you...........
Unread 06-05-2005, 10:34 AM
the Yukk drink

HI there!
I am enjoying my first cocktail of golytely at this very moment!

Another sister had suggested using a straw, as you can get it past most of your taste buds that way. So far that is working A-OK for me. I also have a little glass of clear kool-aid sitting here that I am chasing each LONG drink down with.

Also, remember, mind over matter. Don't think about it. I'm trying to read posts while I put this first glass down so I am not thinking about it so much.
Good luck!!

jo
Unread 06-05-2005, 10:41 AM
the Yukk drink

I asked my doctor about bowel prep, and he said I didn't need to do that. Makes me wonder how I will be afterwards. Good luck to all of you who have to do that. I will be eating light 2 days before....on my own for that direction, I don't want to have a lot in me, because I fear needing to go to the bathroom so soon after surgery. The things we worry about....lol

hugs, Kathleen
Unread 06-05-2005, 10:51 AM
the Yukk drink

Hi there,
The day before my surgery I had to drink both the Magnesium Citrate and also do the Fleet enemas. Not fun.

As for the drinking part. I did a chaser with Sprite Remix right after. My doc had me drink half the bottle at noon and then the other half at 5pm. The Sprite remix helped take the yucky taste away.

I wish you a smooth surgery and safe and fast recovery.
s to you,
Kristi
Unread 06-05-2005, 11:36 AM
the Yukk drink

Oh ladies, this all sounds so yucky! I remember drinking that syrupy slop for the pregnancy diabetes checks and nearly threw up with those. I am hoping I don't have to do bowel prep for my surgery on the 15th. Nausea is my biggest fear; even more so than the pain. I'll do ANYTHING to avoid nausea/upset stomach! I never even drink anything with any sugar in it at all; not even juices with their natural sugars of any kind. I can't stand sweet drinks!!! Best wishes to all of you and keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have to "go there."

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register