5 weeks from today and counting! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weeks from today and counting! 5 weeks from today and counting!

Unread 09-08-2010, 01:55 PM
5 weeks from today and counting!

I'm scheduled for my Da Vinci surgery 5 weeks from today and I'm looking forward to it. I'm having my uterus removed only, possibly my left ovary due to endometriosis. I have one period left and I'm looking forward to that too.

I'm scheduled for my pre-op and pre-admission appointments the week prior. Mom's coming down from DC to take care of me for a few days. And, my loving husband will be taking off for about a week to take care of me too. I already have planned in my head what to take to the hospital, a pillow for the ride home, and what movies I'm going to want to watch while recovering at home. I'm also planning on getting a pedi the day before so I my feet will look pretty while in the hospital.

What am I missing? I don't seemed to be worried about anything. Should I be or am I taking this too lightly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Re: 5 weeks from today and counting!

hi ltbrown!

I don't think that you are taking it too lightly because honestly, I cannot wait until I have my surgery, pain or not. Surgery pain is better than the painful agony and embarrassment (getting sick at work every month like clockwork) that these fibroids are doing to my body.

I was looking through the thread and a lot of the ladies have real good suggestions. I am definitely going to have a mani, pedi, legs and pits waxed and my hair done. I want to look like a little princess and maybe that will make me feel better.

I have been nesting just like when I had my kids. Cleaning, getting my affairs in order. I have to fix up my guest room because I am not doing stairs to get to my bedroom. So you might want to think about making things accessible for yourself. I have a 2 year old still in diapers so I have to make sure I have all my supplies right at hand when we're alone. Paperwork all filled out for work? I did that today since I have to give them at least a months notice. Everyone is saying body pillows help and I am going to get a journal so that I can keep up with my writing skills

My surgery is Oct 22nd so hopefully we can k.i.t. on the community. Speedy recovery!
Unread 09-09-2010, 06:57 AM

You might want to rethink your "pedi". When I went to my pre-op I found out that you must remove all nail polish before surgery. Of course, you could always go just to have them scrub and massage..That feels good no matter what!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2010, 07:13 AM

Hey sisters,
My TAH is scheduled for Oct 6th. I'm not quite at the excited stage yet, actually a little scared. This is the one week of the month that I feel pretty good (fibroids). Hopefully I'll be at the excited stage next week when I have my final period. It better be the heavy, yuky type that I've had for the past 2 years! I'm definitely keeping my ovaries, but haven't decided on the cervix yet. Good luck to everyone!
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:11 PM

Wow, I saw your post and realized that its just about the same time frame for me. I am scheduled for October 18. I too am looking forward to my trip to the castle. Fortunately, I don't have painful periods, but they are quite heavy and have been for some time now due to fibroids. We finally decided on the TAH since my fibroids have a since of humor and decided to start growing, just as I am entering menopause. The cervix is going because of a history of cervical dysplasia (x2). It is my decision on my ovaries and so far I'm deciding they will be going as well, since I'm perimenopausl. Who knows though, I have pre-op with my doctor on the 25th and will discuss it further with him and make the final decision.

Sending us all love and support!
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:37 PM

I guess I'm perimenopausal too. I'll be 50 in February. I think this time in our lives does tend to be a growth spurt time for fibroids. In April, I had 3 fibroids, each about the size of a lime (4cm). I hope he does another ultrasound on the 30th when I go for my pre-op appt. If I find out they are shrinking, I'll be really confused! I've decided to keep my ovaries because recent research seems to show that they provide some benefit post menopause and my doctor agrees. I think I'll let him take the cervix which is his preference too. I seldom have pain that would require meds, but it is getting tiresome. I have menstral type cramps pretty much all the time with some back pain, constipation, and frequent urination and of course the lovely heavy flow. I think the bleeding alone is enough reason to get this done! I can't take anymore bleeding through to my clothes - several close embarrassing moments.
Unread 09-09-2010, 04:25 PM

I am scheduled for The DaVinci Surgery on Tues of next week. (Sept 14) I am 55 and completely menopausal, but I have a couple of fibroids,some cycts on my ovary, and a uterus that has been problematic in the past (hyperplasia). Since I have already gone through the worst of the menopausal symptoms, and cannot take estrogen because of my uterus, I am hopeful that I'll feel better once this is done. At least I will be able to take estrogen! My doc is removing all my "parts" because, frankly, at this point in my life I don't need them, and they only now have the potential to cause problems. I went online today to read about others' experiences with the "robotic" surgery and was so encouraged. Sounds amazing! I guess I'll know in less than a week!! Hubby is taking me to the beach this weekend to get my mind off of it!
Unread 09-10-2010, 03:45 AM

Davinci scheduled here for Oct. 13th and I am outta my mind scared.
Unread 09-10-2010, 07:15 AM

Go to the DaVinci site and read some of the feedback from those who have already had the procedure. I think it will help to ease your mind..it certainly helped me. It seems that almost universally, they had positive things to say and helped to put alot of my fears to rest. If we have to have this adventure, I am grateful that we get to do it with the DaVinci! I do think it's the best way to go. I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you...I'll let you know
Unread 09-10-2010, 11:59 AM

thanx aya....very kind of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register