33, facing hystorectomy and SCARED | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

33, facing hystorectomy and SCARED 33, facing hystorectomy and SCARED

Unread 04-21-2006, 09:17 AM
33, facing hystorectomy and SCARED

Hi everyone. I have suffered with fibroids my entire life (ok, since age 16) and have had two surgeries to remove them. I have wanted a hysterectomy for as long as I can remember but due to age, noone would do it (I have no kids!). Well I finally have a doctor that listens to me and is willing to do the surgery.

Now, I am scared to death and dont know if I can go through with it. I want to cry all the time, I am nervous, bitter, upset, biting everyones head off...etc!

I dont even have this thing scheduled yet! I dont know how sex will be after. I dont know if fiance will stick around. I dont know if I will feel feminine anymore. Is this normal? I feel like I am going crazy!!

My uterus is the size of a 26 week pregnancy and extends to my belly button and because of that my doctor said most likely I will need an abdominal hysterectomy. Since my last two surgeries I never worked on tummy muscles. Before I found out about needing this surgery, I joined a gym and work out 5 days a week and finally can do 25 situps and its going to be a waste!!!

I dont know things like keeping my cervix (how do they do that? and wont it just "fall out"?) I want to keep my only remaining ovary (one was taken at age 16) for hormones...I dont want to be a guy!

Ok, I am crying now and scared to death! Is this normal? Do I just need to grow up and deal with this? Im sorry for all of this but I have NOONE to ask this stuff and NOONE to talk about it with. Fiance just makes jokes and says "well, if you dont like sex after, you can worry about me!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2006, 12:01 PM

You've come to the right place... every worry you have, someone here has had it. But you will see that a lot of your fears are worst case scenarios, bad gossip or just plain wrong - there is a lot of wrong info out there...

I was 33 when I had my hyst last year for endometriosis and I haven't felt this good since puberty. I had everything taken out - uterus, ovaries and cervix, I had an abdominal hyst, and I take hormones. And contrary to (some) popular beliefs, I did not turn into a guy, I enjoy sex more than ever, I look younger than I have in years and am more athletic and active (I run a 5K race every now and then, including one 7 months after my operation), I have a pretty flat tummy considering I am 15 pounds overweight, my husband is still around and nothing has fallen out of my hoo-ha. Plus I am much nicer and more confident now that my hormones are in control - I was very anti-social, negative and anxious before my hyst, and it is such a relief not to have to deal with that anymore.

I went through the same issues as you with asking for a hyst and being told no due to young age and having no kids. And I freaked out a little when I finally got my wish. It's a big deal and a life-changing decision, but it sounds like you are ready, deep down.

I'm not going to tell you to not be scared - that's just silly, you are what you are, and you can't help your feelings. But you have to make the hard decisions about your life, and deciding not to have the hyst is as much a decision as deciding to have it. Be brave and do what your heart tells you. As a wise person once said, "It ain't brave if you ain't scared..." Feel the fear and do it anyway.
Unread 04-21-2006, 12:08 PM

Hi, I had the same nervousness you are going through and my uterus was a tad bigger than yours. Your 25 sit ups are not a waste, ever. Tell the doc that you need and must keep that ovary but you won't be a "guy" if it malfunctions for whatever reason.
Your fiance is probably just using bad humor to help him deal with your upcoming surgery.
Get a second opinion to be confident in your choice and that will help a bit. I was scared too but actually got exited when I realized that after my hyst I would be free from the gyn, pads, and all that yuk.
I focused on being pampered in the hosp- hehe they sent me home next day.
Since it's your choice to have hyst or not, be a good idea to seak other options if you have not already.
Best wishes,
Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2006, 03:36 PM

It is normal to be scared and nervous before any major surgery, but espcially when you are young. I had my hyst at the age of 25, and you will find many on the site who were in their 20s and 30s.

We have several resources here about fibroids, https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26, as well as an article, https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/art...cle_191359.htm.

Feel free to use the Pre Op tab at the top center of your screen to find information about questions you may have before your hyst.

I do recommend a second opinon before having a hyst. This not only makes sure a hyst is the best decision for you, but also makes sure you have the right hyst type for you.

Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register