finally gettin it done or will chicken out? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

finally gettin it done or will chicken out? finally gettin it done or will chicken out?

Unread 09-08-2013, 06:59 AM
finally gettin it done or will chicken out?

hi am new am 45 have suffered for years was hoping to make it to menopause but that can be another 1 to 7 years away i just can't take it anymore. so am finally going in October. however every day closer i begin to change my mind... is that normal? it seems most r so excited to get it over. of course the thought of not suffering every month is great but am worried i will chicken out. at my age you think i would b more than ready?? am mainly worried about the pain after surgery and the recovery. most of the woman i know its been years since they had it done and they really don't remember. any advice on what i can really expect? i know every body is different but would love some support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Re: finally gettin it done or will chicken out?

Oh believe me I did the exact same thing. Im 50 now and although I dont feel Ive suffered as much as some of the ladies on here -
I now feel as though Im doing the right thing. And I hope I still feel that way after my surgery tomorrow.
Ive put up with heavy bleeding since I started at 12. My sister was blessed with no problems and light bleeding for a few days a month. My period would last for the full 7-10 days even on the pill. And the middle 4 days were heavy with clots. A box of super plus tampons and maxi pads were my partners for most of that week. Not to mention ibuprofen and iron pills. And Id have to take a change of pants with me wherever I went. It just became the norm and I dealt with it because Im afraid of surgery. I thought Id wait for menopause but my symptoms are getting worse. And Im really tired of dealing with this. So take your time and the day will come where you get tired of it too and you will know you are making the right decision despite how scary it can be. Best of luck to you and you are not alone.
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br33ze View Post
hi am new am 45 have suffered for years was hoping to make it to menopause but that can be another 1 to 7 years away i just can't take it anymore. so am finally going in October. however every day closer i begin to change my mind... is that normal? it seems most r so excited to get it over. of course the thought of not suffering every month is great but am worried i will chicken out. at my age you think i would b more than ready?? am mainly worried about the pain after surgery and the recovery. most of the woman i know its been years since they had it done and they really don't remember. any advice on what i can really expect? i know every body is different but would love some support.
Hey beautiful girl,

Welcome to Hystersisters and we are all here for you! I had a TLHBSO (had both ovaries, tubes and cervix as well as uterus) and I made it through to the other side, just like all our sisters here....and you will too! I am the biggest chicken there is! LOL and any surgery is a stressful and uncertain time, but I was very pleasantly surprised and had much less pain than I was imagining and 6 month down the track I feel great and I've never regretted having It. It was a relief and a release for me and like a weight lifted off my shoulders.

There are good days and bad days like any recovery post surgery but each day gets better and better and each day you get stronger and stronger and before you know it, you are well on your way to a full recovery and a healthier, happier life.

So all I can advise you , is to be as informed as possible so that you can make your decision and feel safe and comfortable with it, choose a doctor that you can trust in and feel safe with and then take it from there. You will know when it's the right thing and the right time for you.

Good luck with your decision sweet girl and know that we are always here to support you in any way we can...and if you do have the surgery, then you will be fine!.. We are all here testament to that and we will all be waiting for you on the other side!
God bless you and Hugs galore, xoxo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2013, 01:51 PM

Hi br33ze to HysterSisters!

All of your second thoughts are very normal. This is one tough surgery to contemplate and process. I remember having a serious freakout a few days before my surgery.

I will not lie to you recovery can take a while. You need to think weeks, not days. After surgery you will be very exhausted. You will need help at home for several weeks with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc. You will need to take time off work - how long depends on your surgery, if there are complications, how fast you recovery, your job, and a myriad of other unknowns. After all of this you do move slowly back into your life, and it can take months before you are 100% where you don't think about surgery.

Your doctor has recommended this surgery for a reason. Having a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY, and should never be taken lightly. You can talk to your doctor about the pros and cons, and you can also get a second opinion. You need to make the decision that is right for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register