Endometrial Cancer: Cancer free after surgery, chemo and radiation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cancer free after surgery, chemo and radiation Cancer free after surgery, chemo and radiation

Unread 05-25-2020, 08:21 PM
Cancer free after surgery, chemo and radiation

On Friday I was able to ring the bell at our Cancer Center to announce to the world that I am cancer free!!!! Last August my biopsy from my gynecologist came back as papillary serous endometrial adenocarcinoma. We were told this was a high grade very aggressive cancer. So aggressive I was seen by 2 oncologists in a week and 1/2. They were very excited because they felt that we caught the cancer early. Early enough to save my life. I was immediately treated w 3 months of carbo/taxol chemo and then had my DaViinci hysterectomy which removed all my female organs. (I highly recommend this procedure if you have to get a hysterectomy. Had it at 1pm and was home sitting on my couch playing with my grandchildren by 7:30pm that same night with light pain killers.) The pathology report from the surgery showed I had two cancers, one the endometrial and the second was a uterine tumor. It also showed 4 lymph nodes were involved and that the cancer was within .05 cm of other tissues. The surgeon thought she got everything cancerous but because of the aggressive nature of my cancer I had 3 more rounds of chemo (and re-lost all the hair I was just growing back). Because of the lymph nodes involvement and the close proximity to “healthy” tissues, as soon as I finished the chemo I was given 28 radiation treatments which targeted the lymph nodes and the borderline areas. I’ll be honest, its been a marathon of epic proportions. In the final two weeks of radiation they were treating me for exhaustion and dehydration. The good news is all my cancer tests are coming back clean. I had a type of cancer that will “lay dormant” for 6 to 8 weeks at a time so that’s why the decisions were made to keep pressing on and staying on a rigorous timetable. It’s been 3 days since my last treatment and already I’m starting to feel my strength returning. I have slept A LOT!! It seems like for a couple weeks all I did was nibble a few bites and sleep. Doctors say that it’ll take about 2-3 months to “feel normal” but the best news is that in about 4-6 months they expect me to be back at my old energy levels from pre-cancer times. Very excited about that. It hasn’t been easy and I wouldn’t wish this on anyone especially once we had to start dealing with COVID protocols but I now have a peace of mind that we’ve done the best we can and now it’s time to take back my life. For those of you who are just starting this cancer journey, attitude is everything. Take one step at a time, don’t listen to the scary stories, don’t go down the google black hole, you’ll scare yourself. Put your chin up and march into the battle, you’re so much stronger than you think you are. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2020, 09:02 PM
Re: Cancer free after surgery, chemo and radiation

AWESOME!!
Unread 05-27-2020, 02:40 PM

Stay strong and well xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2020, 06:59 AM

Reading about your experience was just what I needed today. I hope your recovery had gone well and that you are feeling well.
Unread 06-08-2020, 09:53 AM

My recovery is going well, thank you. It’s slow and frustrating. When I complain to my doctors they remind me of the hell that they’ve put my body through to get here and to take one step at a time. They and my family and friends all say they can see a dramatic improvement already (2 1/2 weeks post treatments) but I get frustrated with the exhaustion. I am at the part where my brain is now clear and active, but the body can only stay in motion so long before I have to sit down. I did make it to the gym this morning for a very LIGHT 20 minute weight workout. It felt good to put my muscles through their paces for the first time in 9 months. Now I’m doing some computer work and enjoying the fresh air at home. How are things going with you?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register