No pain meds? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No pain meds? No pain meds?

Unread 11-09-2004, 04:05 AM
No pain meds?

Has anyone here tried a H without pain meds? I'm allergic to codeine, and unfortunately I've started having similar reactions to the pain meds that I've been able to take for years. I had a hydro ablation last January, and since I have such issues with pain meds, my doc would only let me take the darvocets that I've been fine with all along. Pretty soon I'll have to tell her that the same thing is happening with that now too. Even the migraine meds that I've been taking for the past 20 years have started also, and there don't seem to be any others that I can take either. Tylenol doesn't do anything for me at all, and I have a feeling that Motrin or asprin won't be allowed after surgery. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2004, 05:18 AM
No pain meds?

Hi,

You definitely need to discuss this with your doctor. I don't think you really want to have major surgery without pain meds, especially at first. Your body will heal much faster if you're not having to deal with pain. There are other options out there which you may not be allergic to, such as morphine and Torodol (which is wonderful!) I hope you can find something that will work.
Unread 11-09-2004, 06:21 AM
No pain meds?

Hi...when I came out of recovery..(late afternoon) I had a morphine pump on and made them take it out the next morning. I get extremely sick from pain meds. (They gave me "Zofran" for the nausea...which is wonderful. I told my Dr. just to give me extra-strength Tylenol...He thought I was nuts...but I said if I need something stronger...I'll tell you! I was ok on the Tylenol. I'd rather feel a little pain than be nauseas and dizzy and not "In control". Just my story...good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2004, 06:56 AM
No pain meds?

Let me second the torodol. I had it after my second c-section. It's like a high-powered Motrin and it's great!!!

I agree, though -- to try to do this with NO medication is rather ambitious. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I would have an action plan in place!
Unread 11-09-2004, 07:06 AM
No pain meds?

I am also allergic to codeine. I tried Percocet in the hospital and got sick. I took Motrin every 3-4 hours and Tylenol PM when I went to bed. I did fine on that regimen but talk to your doctor. Also, you might want to mention it to the people during your pre-admission visit because they put a red bracelet on me so the staff was aware there was a problem.

Best wishes
Sue
Unread 11-09-2004, 07:13 AM
No pain meds?

You might ask for an epidural for pain control after surgery. Or possibly the On-Q pain pump. I wanted the on-q after hearing about it here, my Dr. wasn't real thrilled she said it leaks and leaves the incision wet and she hadn't gotten raving reports from the women who had it. However, on the morning of surgery my A-man talked me into an epidural as well as general anesthesia. He said the epidural would be for pain relief after the surgery. In my case the first 24 hours, perhaps they could do something like that and leave it a bit longer. I went on to percoset after 24 hours along with Tordol.

It was manageable pain, but the second night they had to give me a shot of demerol to help since I had been up alot that day (just doing what they suggested). Day #3 I was released with Percoset every 4 hours and 800 mg motrin. That worked pretty good, of course, I still felt discomfort when getting up and down and rolling over, but it was 2-3 on the pain scale. Not too bad. You need to talk to the Anestheologist as well as your surgeon about your options. Believe me they all want you to be as pain free as possible. It is in your best interest and healing will be much better if you are comfortable..
Good luck.
Unread 11-09-2004, 07:19 AM
pain med

I had an LAVH (which I think that you are having), and I did not require pain meds when I got home. I did have a couple of shots of demerol in the hospital, but I refused them after two, because I didn't think that they were necessary. I was not in pain, just uncomfortable, and I became best friends with the heating pad. Good luck!
Unread 11-09-2004, 08:32 AM
No pain meds?

Here is another vote for Torodol. That stuff rocks! I had it injected into my IV while at the hospital, and in pill form once I got home. They only gave me five days worth of it, and afterwards, told me to take Motrin. I just use four generic ibuprofens and that does the trick admirably. I also have Lortabs (hydrocodone, is that one you are allergic to?) to use if I need more pain control. I am almost four weeks post op, and I take maybe one dose of ibuprofen a day, and if I sneeze or cough a lot and feel bad, I might take a Lortab. Some days, I forget to even think about pain meds...guess that is a good sign.

I imagine a lot depends on what kind of hyst you are having. Vaginal, without an incision, seems to have a quicker recovery. I have a high tolerance for pain, and yet I can't imagine trying to get through the last few weeks on just Tylenol (does NOTHING for me) or ibuprofen.
Unread 11-09-2004, 09:33 AM
No pain meds?

I was on a morphine pump after my surgery and found out that night I was allergic to morphine. They started giving me motrin the following morning and I was fine. I said no to any pain meds for home. Since I've been home I've only taken tylenol twice. I think I'm one of the lucky ones though. Best of luck.

Peg
Unread 11-09-2004, 10:24 AM
No pain meds?

I had an IV with pain meds in it for about 24 hours after surgery (to be honest I never asked what it was!).... and after that truly I didn't take anything other than an extra strength tylenol once in a while. The pain was not that bad.
I do NOT consider that I have a very high pain tolerance, but I was certainly fortunate --- I hope you are too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register