Am I crazy to consider this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I crazy to consider this? Am I crazy to consider this?

Unread 01-08-2002, 10:47 AM
Am I crazy to consider this?

Hi Everyone,
What a great website and resource. I am thrilled to have found you. I am researching hyst. and the various options and methods of Sx... I am 34, married, no kids with no plans to have kids. Was Dx with HPV 11 years ago, Dx with Endometriosis 10 years ago and have had numerous surgeries for Endo treatment. Have had 3 "bad" pap smears in the last 5 years, 2 of which in last year. Next pap is late January and IF it is "bad" (dysplastic or worse) I was thinking of just asking to have a hysterectomy. Just to be through worrying about cervical cancer, and possibly ending my Endo pain (I know the hyst. might NOT effect the Endo, but it MIGHT help...), and to not have to worry about birth control any longer. I currently take Depo Provera, which seems to "help" decrease my Endo pain. (did Lupron and Danazol years ago with terrible side effects - will NOT do them again.) I would love to hear your thoughts, especially from other women with similar situations. Thanks so much. - Happydog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2002, 03:14 PM

Hi Happydog!

I'm not as young as you are, so I don't know exactly what to tell you except that as long as you are POSITIVE you don't want any children, I don't think it's a crazy option.

I wanted children all my life, but I wasn't lucky enough to have them. Sometimes it bugs me a little, but most of the time I'm fine with it. I'm 42, look like I'm 35, so people ask me about kids from time to time, but it doesn't bother me too much.

I can tell you that it's been heaven not having pain anymore and not having a period that lasted weeks and weeks and weeks. I never had a bad pap smear, but I imagine that you'd feel better knowing that uterine cancer was no longer a possibility.

I know a hysterectomy was the right thing for me to do. You have to decide what is right for you.

BEST OF LUCK!!!
Unread 01-12-2002, 07:26 PM

Hi happydog,

I recently had a hysterectomy and it was the best decision of my life. I have severe Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and was going through a terrible ordeal with obesity, hair loss (I was going bald), facial hair growth, and PMS. I tried everything with not much success and this was the answer for me. I too was worried about cancer from all the fertility drugs I had taken. Since my surgery I have more energy I have lost 15 pounds easily and am not losing my hair or growing a beard. It is great.

I have not had my own children, but my husband and i adopted twins 2 years ago and they are a joy. We couldn't be happier. If you decide this is the right choice for you be ready for people to question you. You will be asked forever if you are ok not having your "own" kids. Most people can't understand people not wanting kids or being ok with not having your "own". It was an easy decision for me. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2002, 06:39 PM

Hi 'ya, Happydog!
Count me on the side of "YES this was the BEST thing!" I'm also 42, no kids (never really thought they were missing from our lives) and had my hyst 10/23/01. Lots of endo, lots of ovarian cysts and fibroids and tumours-to-be that hid from the ultrasounds! Tried bc therapies but had to come off due to increasing high bp (Lupron, Depo, etc completely out of the question for me).

I never had a bad pap, but sure had my share of pain and bleeding. Don't miss them at all! My doc suspected endo but I couldn't find time to have the lap (good thing - my uterus was stuck like glue to my peritoneum!). We knew I had cysts - bad ones - ruptured almost every month - very painful ovulation (you know, the kinda' pains that double you over for no reason - very embarrassing in a board meeting setting! "don't worry guys - just a little ovulation going on - it'll pass in about 15 minutes when the pain meds kick in!"). Don't miss those, either!

The no kids and questions thing rarely comes at us anymore, except when seeing old school chums. I often wonder what's up with the "pity faces!?!" Think of it: No college tuitions to fund - no soccer practices or dance recitals - completely unabashed sponteneity - pick-up-'n-go lifestyle. Between you and me, I think they kinda' envy us! Sorry, but no regrets here!

I have nothing but +++ things to say about my hyst. Only sorry I waited so long! Prayers, best wishes and peace with your decision!
love,
-di

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register