Question? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-01-2003, 05:23 PM
Question?

Was anyone else told they had to give themeself an enema and betadine douche the night before surgery and then douch again the morning of surgery? :eyes: I went for my pre-op screening today and that is what they told me I was supposed to do. I don't understand why I need to do this? Especially the enema.

I am also very upset with the anesthesiaologist (sp). I was honest when they asked all the questions and when he came in he asked me about me answer about my elevate liver levels. He went on and on freaking out acting like I had Hepatitis! I kept telling him that I most certainly do NOT have Hepatitis! My Dr. has tested me for that and has done ultrasounds and they cand find no reason for the elevated levels, other than high cholesterol. So, they are contributing it to fatty liver. Now, my surgery may be in jeopardy! :cry: He went out in the hall and was making a scene and telling the lady that was in the room with me that they MUST get blood work for my liver levels. My Dr. *knows* about my livers levels and approved my surgery, so it obviously is okay. The levels are not that high to be that concerned about.

He was VERY rude, and VERY unproffesional. He asked me if I had Medicare and I said yes. He asked me why. I said because I am on disability. He then asked me why I was on disability. :eyes: I wanted to say, "It is NONE of your <admin. snipped for language> business buddy!". I am only 30 years old, maybe that is why he was surprised I guess, but it is still NONE of his business!

What else can go wrong? :cry:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Question?

Hi TenaRie I know these last few days pre op can be a very trying, nerve-wracking time. Please try to trust that when your DR or anesthesiologist ask questions or have concerns, that it's for your safety and good health that they are concerned.

Many of us have had to do the Fleet enema before the surgery. I did one before mine... it was really no big deal at all. They have us do that to 'clean out' the lower section of bowel, for a couple of reasons. One is in case there is a mishap during surgery and the bowel is nicked... if it is full of fecal matter, there is a huge risk of infection, but if you've cleaned the area thoroughly, there is far less risk. Same goes for the betadine douche.... the DR just wants there to be as few germs as possible in the area during the surgery, for your own safety.

{Just as an aside, we are especially prone to yeast infections post op because these precautions kill off the 'healthy bacteria' in our GI tract and vagina... it helps to use some sort of probiotic after surgery to repopulate the areas with the 'right' sorts of bacteria to prevent the yeasts from taking over.}

Another reason for the enema is that the anesthesia will cause your digestive system to shut down for a day or two at least, and if there's a lot of fecal matter in the GI tract it can decay in there and cause you lots more problems with gas or diarrhea, or it can solidify in there and cause a blockage which might be a big problem when you start eating again. So you see, your DR is looking out for you. Sometimes they don't have the best way of expressing it though, and they don't take the time they should to explain these things to us.

Same deal with the anesthesiologist. I am betting that your anesthesiologist is primarily concerned with your safety during the surgery. Anesthesiologists have the most dangerous, risky job in the OR, that's why their insurance premiums (and fees) are so high. The good ones try very hard before the surgery to make sure the patient is a 'good risk' for doing well with the anesthesia. Your blood results probably raised some concern with the anesthesiologist. Perhaps there are certain anesthetic agents that are not so safe for use in patients with certain conditions, and he needed to find out how to best do his job for you.

You see, just because your DR feels you are a good risk for surgery doesn't mean you will handle all types of anesthesia well, and sometimes your blood results can influence what kind of anesthesia is used. The anesthesiologist knows best, far better than the surgeon, about the risks of anesthesia. Listen to him/her. For example, I have a family history of malignant hyperthermia... it is a potentially fatal reaction to some types of anesthesia. No DR who has ever performed surgery on me has had more than a passing acquaintance with this condition, but when I tell the anesthesiologists they are always super careful to take every precaution because they do understand.

Anesthesiologists have it in their best interest for you to make it through the surgery safely and without complications (for example, nausea from anesthesia). Most of them are very caring, careful people, and I'm sorry yours offended you... I hope it was just a case of a casual remark that shouldn't have been made. We have all made them before, that's no excuse but try to let it go and let the anesthesiologist do the best job for you that he can. Do try to express any concerns you may have.. for example, if you have a history of being sick when you wake up from anesthesia (as I do), let him know, because there are drugs they can put into your IV that can prevent that problem.

I'm also sorry that your DR offended you with his question about Medicare. I will tell you that where I live, what type of insurance you have is a big deal in terms of anesthesia services. Our anesthesiologists' insurance premiums are so high that many of them don't accept most insurance coverages. I have Blue Cross, for example, and there is not one anesthesiologist in my entire county that is a Blue Cross provider, because to provide their services at the Blue Cross going rate, the anesthesiologists would be losing money. So, I have had to argue with my insurance company about the fact that I could not possibly choose an anesthesiologist who was a Blue Cross provider since there are none. Not to go on about my issues, but I wanted to illustrate why what coverage you have may make a difference, and it may not have to do with it specifically being Medicare. Perhaps that anesthesiologist just doesn't have a very good way of expressing himself in a caring way to his patients. I do wish they had classes in that in med school!

I hope everything is going to go fine for you.... even if you have to have extra blood work or other tests to make sure you are safe during and after your surgery. Your safety is of number one importance, always.

I'll look forward to hearing about how it went!
s,
-Linda
Unread 12-01-2003, 06:57 PM
Question?

I'm sorry about the language above. *Blushes* Please accept my apologies. I was upset, no excuse I know. *Bows head ashamed..........*

Thank you Linda, for your very thoughtful reply. I really appreciate it.

I don't mind doing the enema and the douche, well I do , I was just shocked. LOL! I love my GYN dearly and trust him with my life, and trust what he says. I just hadn't read of anyone here doing it, or maybe I hadn't gone back far enough to read anyone question it.

The weird part about the enema is I have chronic diarrhea, tmi I know! I have a colonoscopy scheduled for this Thursday, December 4th. Hopefully this will give us some answers as to why! I'm not sure how the enema will work in my situation? I don't know much about enema's anyway.

I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Medicare insurance. I thought the anesthesiologist was way out of line with his comment about my Medicare, and why I have it and why I am on disability. I did tell them that I do have a reaction waking up with the anesthisia. My blood pressure gets very low, and they have to tell me to take deep breaths and to breathe. I was told I can call tomorrow afternoon to find out the results to my bloodwork.

I hope everything turns out okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2003, 01:21 AM
Question?

About the enema.... the Fleet enema that you do at home isn't really that hard to do. You just put some kind of lubricant on the tip of the bottle (I used KY Jelly) and insert it, while on hands and knees (in the bathroom works best ) and squirt it in... then stay down there for a bit until 'the urge' strikes.

For me, I was so nervous the day before my surgery that I'd pretty much emptied myself out already, just as you may with the chronic diarrhea... so really I didn't get much more from the enema. I did get the peace of mind of knowing I'd done what my DR expected me to do, so it was worth something I guess.

I agree it's odd that the anesthesiologist would have questioned you. You're probably right, he may have been taken aback at your young age. Maybe he wondered if there was some other condition he needed to know about that would affect how you'd do during surgery and didn't know a better way to ask? Well hopefully things will go great at the castle. I have always found the anesthesiologists to be a gentle and careful bunch, which I like in the last person who sees me conscious!

I'm glad you told them you have trouble waking up. I had some trouble this last time, and I remember the nurse standing over me yelling at me to BREATHE!!! and it totally freaked her out that I didn't seem at all concerned about it... I naturally breathe slow, deep breaths anyway and after anesthesia it slows down even more. I think I was taking about 3 breaths a minute, but I felt fine

Anyway, best of luck to you at the castle!
s,
-Linda
Unread 12-02-2003, 05:48 AM
Question?

I did both the douche and the enema. Lay on your side on your bed with one knee bent and go for it! The instructions are right on the box. I believe Fleet makes a disposable two pack My doc suggested I get the twin pack just in case I needed the enema after I got home!

nel

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register