Worried | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Worried

Hi all,
Just joined Hyster Sisters to read all about my upcoming hysterectomy. I have been looking forward to the surgery because of endless years of pelvic pain and feeling exhausted and tired for appx 20 days out of a month after having my period. The only good time was about 8 to 10 days before my next period would start. I got sick and tired of being sick and tired all the time. Three of my coworkers had a hysterectomy done and they are glad they did. Now that I have been reading the post-op message boards and about blood clots, I am worried. Not that I have a history... but this sounds scary to me, especially 3 weeks after surgery. I thought this was a problem right after surgery Is there anything I can do to minimize the possibility... like walking and keeping my circulation going? Any advice would be welcome. BTW, my vaginal hysterectomy is scheduled for June 1st... sigh!
Pleasure to meet you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Worried

Really you don't need to worry as much as you are. Hopefully you have read one of the threads explaining that the wait is the hardest part. I have always dreaded the unknown myself. I had a TVH on 4-15-05 and never had a problem with a blood clot. The best thing is to remember to walk and drink lots of water. At first it's hard to find the right balance of rest and walking but in time you do figure it out. I wish you much success with your upcoming surgery and encourage you to relax. I too worried endlessly about what might happen, when in all actuality nothing bad happened at all. Remember to be patient and allow yourself to heal the correct way.
Unread 05-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Welcome ... please try not to worry ...

Welcome Angie,

First, it's normal to be worried. I recall being scared witless before my surgery.

Second, statistics show the majority of women who have hysterectomies consider the operation a success. Even your own small sampling -- the women in your office -- support this. Admittedly, this isn't much help if you are among the small percentage who have complications -- but it does mean the odds are in your favour.

Third, when you read the post-op board, you are not reading an impartial sampling of everyone on the board who has had a hysterectomy within the last six months. Although some people do post simply to report that they are having a smooth recovery and are now planning an expedition to climb Mount Everest , people are much more likely to post if they are experiencing a problem or have a question.

Fourth, a vaginal hysterectomy is less invasive than some other options so you may have an easier recovery.

Not being a medical professional, I can't help you with your blood clot question .... although I have read that one reason for encouraging people to start walking day or or the day following surgery is to prevent additional problems, such as blood clots.

So yes, walking is a good thing for lots of reasons, including getting all the plumbing back online.

In my case, I had a very invasive TAH with a 6.5-inch vertical incision -- and I was up and walking the halls of the hospital the next day, had my internal plumbing all working again within 36 hours, and was released from hospital after a three-night stay.

My overall recovery was smoother, faster and more pain-free than I could have imagined. I was able to walk my dogs for half-an-hour one week post-op and for an hour by 12 days post-op. After the staples were removed at day 10 post-op, I was able to stop taking pain-killers.

I started swimming gentle laps at 16 days post-op, was back to work part-time (desk job/telecommuting) at three weeks post-op, doing gentle yoga stretches at four weeks and took part in an adult synchro swim meet (beginners figures) at five weeks, six days post-op. This past weekend, at almost 11 weeks post-op, I joined a friend in completing a 20 km fitness challenge walk.

So while you do have to be careful to give yourself all the time you need to heal ... there is definately life after a hyst.

Best wishes to you for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery.

Keep well,
IslandScribe

Please note: My comments are based on my experience and are not intended to take the place of medical advice. We are all different, so your mileage may vary. Also, all my post-op activity was approved by my doctor -- consult your doctor for guidance on your activities during recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2005, 05:50 AM
worried

I agree that if you read a certain thread, things sound worse than they usually are. Remember that people writing to a thread are doing so because they have had the same experience. I got scared reading this site before my hyst., and that was after having three uncomplicated c-sections! Post-op I did try to start a few threads about feeling great, but they didn't last too long.

Talk to your doctor, or better yet the nurses at the hospital, about your fear of blood clots. If you have no history, they will probably tell you to drink plenty of water and start moving around as soon as they give you they ok. Those are two of the best pieces of advice I can offer.
Unread 05-18-2005, 07:56 AM
Worried

Hi, and to HysterSisters!

This is a great place to come to get questions answered, fears quelled and just hang out and get support from ladies who have been exactly where you are.

Here are a few of my favorite places: Hysterctomy Checkpoints where you'll find all sorts of guides, including things like questions to ask the doctor and an idea of what you'll be able to do during your recovery time.

Pre-op Hints is a special place we've formed where princesses return to share their best hints and tips for your hospital stay, how to prepare your recovery room, and all sorts of other ideas for the l-i-w.

And, (drum roll, please) now for my favorite forum in HysterSisters -- Tell Your Hyst-Story is where you'll find the experiences of the princesses who have gone before you. There was something very comforting for me to read story after story, letting me know exactly what ladies experienced in the castle. No, not all of the stories are pretty -- but it is very good to see how various problems are encountered and dealt with, too!

I know it can be scary to read about ladies having problems either in the hospital or in early recovery. These stories are not meant to scare you -- but if you find them too upsetting, you might want to pass them by for now. Just don't make the mistake of pretending that those things couldn't possibly happen to you! I was a very good princess, and I still had (and still have) a complication, despite my good behavior. You need to be aware of what might happen so that if you develop the signs or symptoms you can get medical help right away!

Many of us do great after surgery. Really, we do. And we all hope you'll be one of those ladies.

I wish you all the best as you prepare for the castle. We're here for you every step of the way!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register