Wanting to know what to expect | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wanting to know what to expect Wanting to know what to expect

Unread 05-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Wanting to know what to expect

I just found out that i will be needed everything removed the date is not set yet but was wondering how the whole process went for some of you did you cry alot were you relieved ect. what should i expect from the doctor. I am pretty much a mess but i do see my doctor on the 6th of June and need to know what to expect basicaly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2006, 03:37 PM

Welcome!

I have not gone thru surgery yet, but i can definitely relate with the waiting game. Mine is set for June 20th. Take your time and browse thru this site. Visit the Journals, these are stories women have written telling their stories. The message boards are great for reading and getting good info and asking any specific questions you may have.
I only joined a few weeks ago, but the difference in my mind set is amazing. I can also come on here and cry if necessary...or whine and complain , but mostly I do alot of laughing !
Keep writing and reading...we are here to help and we have all been in the same boat (or at least on the same lake!)
Unread 05-22-2006, 04:37 PM

When I found out that I had to have a TAH. I found this site within a few weeks. It has helped me greatly knowing there are so many other women out there with similiar stories. I delayed telling my friends and family (except husband and parents) for three months. I am scheduled for surgery Friday. This site helped me a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2006, 12:05 AM

Hi PerfectPixie ,
I think a lot of how you feel about the surgery is the reason you're having it. A lot of women here have had miserable lives due to their gynecological problems, and having the hysterectomy is a relief! My life was tolerable, but my abnormal cervical pathology determined my decision. There is no escaping that this is a very emotional surgery. I suprised myself at how much I broke down before the surgery. As to what to expect from your doctor, that's a hard question to answer. Doctors have very limited time constraints these days. Prepare a written list of questions for your doctor and if possible, provide a copy of the questions to your doctor in advance. Take someone to the doctor's appointment with you to write the answers down. It's hard to take it all in when you're by yourself.

I'm 6 days out from my surgery. I was as prepared as I could have possibly been. And yet things didn't go as I had planned. I have been home by myself since I got out of the hospital. I am amazed at how well I'm doing. I move a little slowly, but the pain has easily been managed with naprosyn. I came home with 4 drains in place and have a hip-to-hip incision. I know I'll have bad days and will take them as they come. For right now, I'm really taking it easy. The biggest problem for me was fear of the unknown. But I got through it and so can you. Listen to the sisters here who have gone through this before you. Be prepared, and feel confident of your decision.

Good luck!
Lori
Unread 05-23-2006, 11:28 AM

Hi Perfect Pixie
I too am pre-op, and scheduled for a TAH/BSO+. Alot of people that I told went instantly to the negative. But I have simply stopped it when they start, by saying I have done my research, and I have no other treatment options, so instead I have opted to look at the positive! (i.e. no more periods, (think of the pads/tampon monies that can now be spent on fun things); no more PMS, no longer wondering to have another child or adopt, more empty space to flatten my belly (after the swelly belly phase of course), and even being pampered for a bit from friends and family. I have also found two books that I find positive and helpful "The Women's Guide to Hysterectomy: Expectations & Options" by Haas & Puretz and then a quick read which can be downloaded for less than $10 "101 Handy Hints for a Happy Hysterectomy" by Parkinson-Hardman. These books, and even moreso, this site, has really helped lower my anxiety, focus on facts, and go into this in the best frame of mind. I will pray the same for you and all our sisters.
-ejd-
TAH/BSO 6/1/06
Unread 05-23-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectPixie
I just found out that i will be needed everything removed the date is not set yet but was wondering how the whole process went for some of you did you cry alot were you relieved ect. what should i expect from the doctor. I am pretty much a mess but i do see my doctor on the 6th of June and need to know what to expect basicaly
Hi there, PerfectPixie!

Two weeks out today, I reiterate what a few have already said, this site is very informative, and the women here are super supportive! When I learned I needed to have a hysterectomy, I started doing all kinds of research online. That's how I found HysterSisters. Asking lots of questions really helps. You'll find from reading posts that all kinds of questions are asked, and I'm talking about questions you may have that would appear to private to ask otherwise.

My research also led me to Sheila Martin's e-Book, "The Worried Woman's Guide To a Happy Hysterectomy." Not only does she provide answers to all kinds of questions, there are pages to help you organize thoughts, questions for the doc, and to-do lists. I'm still using it to keep track of my post-op appointments. Thirty-six pages are personal hyster-stories shared by women who've read her book. It was an easy read and very informative.

You might find it helpful to make a list of questions for your June 6 appointment. Knowledge is power, and it will help with the pre-op jitters. Somewhere on this site is a list of questions to ask. Maybe someone who's been around here longer than I can provide the link. Have you been told why you need a hysterectomy? If not, that's where I'd start. My last appointment with the GYN pre-op was a question/answer session. Because of this site and the hystersisters, I had a complete list of questions to ask at that appointment. I left there feeling informed, more at ease, and ready for surgery.

Because of the current debate over HRT, I also did extensive research to learn what the best option was/is for me. This is definitely something to discuss with your doc.

You asked about crying and such. I was more emotional the closer my surgery date got. Eight days before my surgeries, my only child turned 25. I had a lot of complications surrounding his birth, and my body went through "permanent" changes during my pregnancy with him. Less than a year after his birth, I had to have both fallopian tubes removed. I've suffered a great deal of pain for the past 25 years due to poor reproductive health. My tears/emotions were mixed with feelings of relief and sorrow because it meant the final closure of a very long chapter in my life. Excitement was mixed in there as well because it meant once healed I would no longer have to endure dibilitating pain three out of four weeks each month.

Keep those questions coming, and I encourage you to spend time reading some of the hyst-stories. The more you read and learn, the less you'll feel overwhelmed and alone. (Edited to add the link to my story: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=253674)

Maxine
Unread 06-04-2006, 09:31 PM

The other (((sisters))) have given you lots of good ideas.

About the only thing I would add is to bring a list of questions to the doctor appointment. If you need to, leave it with them and ask them to mail you (or e-mail you) the answers later. I actually sent my list in advance, and they were so thankful! They said that because I had sent the list of questions beforehand, they had plenty of time to assemble all of the information for me.
Unread 06-04-2006, 10:15 PM

Perfect Pixie, I think we all handle the news a little differently depending on the circumstances. I read a LOT of stories from women who, after years of pain, were relieved and ready to have their hyster. I was not one of those people. I was with those who sat there thinking "this can't be, something isn't right".

I had no pain, no years of heavy bleeding. What I did have were about 6 months of slight spotting and some bladder control problems. I certainly did NOT expect a hyster to come from that! So I cried, I cried a lot, I went into denial, then shock. Actually I think it's still setting in and I'm 3 weeks post-op!

We all handle it differently though. Know that no matter how you handle it, it's ok to do what you're doing. You're reaction to the news is perfectly normal, regardless of what that reaction is or how it comes out.
Unread 06-06-2006, 07:39 PM
date is set

Thanks alot for all the good info I was starting to think noone was out there my date is gonna be in july mid july
you are such angels I will know more about it in a few days the doc put a stat on it due to my kids going back to school, and not driving for a few weeks tthanks alot again
Unread 06-07-2006, 02:36 AM

Last year when I was told I had a large fibroid and needed a hysterectomy... it completely freaked me out. We were about to move house. We were also looking to move back to Canada. I chose to wait.

I was in pain, lots of bleeding, had no life the 2 first weeks of my periods. Had to put a towel where ever I would choose to sit. Sneezed, coughed and would wet myself. Had this dull pain on the right side 24/7.

TAH was scheduled quite quickly as I chose to go private. I asked lots of questions, went to the pre op assessement which helped a lot too. Ask all the questions you need to! Even bring a list if you are afraid to forget some of the questions.

It's been 8 days since my TAH. Things haven't all gone according to plan --after all we are flesh and blood thus unpredictable-- but everything was taken care of and I had the best of care. I was in good hands. You will be in good hands too. It's probably the fear of the unknown. Very normal! OMG I can relate to that so much!! Unpredictable can also be a positive thing : you can unpredictably get on your feet much faster than expected. Bottom line for me was... it was a waste of time and energy (especially!) to worry about things that could happen.

Like Vega said we all handle things in our own personal way. I read from other women on this wonderful forum, took some of it on board, and made up my own mind about how to handle my op. I chose this moto : I will cross the bridge when I get to the bridge. And if I don't come across that bridge well good!! Won't have to cross it

And why stress about stuff I cannot change??!

The very best to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register