Scheduled TVH Vaginal hysterectomy: No Hospital Overnight? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal hysterectomy: No Hospital Overnight? Vaginal hysterectomy: No Hospital Overnight?

Unread 06-03-2014, 12:21 AM
Re: Vaginal hysterectomy: No Hospital Overnight?

I had an LAVH and they took both ovaries, tubes, uterus, and cervix with some endometriosis clean up. My insurance also would not approve overnight. The hospital worked around that by doing the surgery, keeping me in recovery for several hours, THEN admitting me to the short term stay in the hospital. Since the count down didn't start until I left recovery and entered the hospital room, I actually did stay overnight, but insurance was billed for under 24 hours in the hospital. My surgery was at 7:30 am on May 21st. I left recovery and entered my room around 3pm. I was released from the hospital around noon on May 22nd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2014, 01:06 AM

Had my TVH May 22. I stayed about 23 hours at the hospital and was pacing the halls to get out of there. I was on a morphine drip, which I used very little of. Morphine makes me itch like crazy. I had no bleeding whatsoever, still haven't. This procedure was a lot easier than i expected.
Unread 06-03-2014, 04:48 AM

I knd of wish I had gone home. Between waking up at 2 am the night before surgery and the multiple blood pressure and temp readings at the hospital all day long, it wasn't very restful. Also those compression things they kept on my legs and the catheter and IV kept me from being able to move around much. I did get lucky in the evening when they changed my nurse and she took them off for a few hours and let me sit up, but by that time I had a migraine from laying on my back so long. I think I would have been more comfortable at home, but the care would not have been as good lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2014, 07:52 PM

Hi, I just had a complete hysterectomy (ovaries, tubes, uterus, cervix) removed two weeks ago today (Da Vinci assisted). I was fairly ready to go home late that evening. I was up and pacing the halls at 9pm, speeding my recovery progress, lol. As everyone attests, it's hard to sleep in the hospital with a catheter, compression stockings and the leg pressure cuffs. Around midnight, I told my nurse that I was feeling the urge to pee on my own, and the catheter was removed a few hours later. I was cleared for release after that :-)
Best of luck on your surgery. I am amazed at how quickly I'm recovering and hope you will be amazed with your own quick recovery.
Unread 06-04-2014, 07:46 AM

My surgery is scheduled on July 1st and insurance has approved 1 night. I will do whatever the doctor says of course
Unread 06-04-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnauGrl View Post
Hi, I just had a complete hysterectomy (ovaries, tubes, uterus, cervix) removed two weeks ago today (Da Vinci assisted). I was fairly ready to go home late that evening. I was up and pacing the halls at 9pm, speeding my recovery progress, lol. As everyone attests, it's hard to sleep in the hospital with a catheter, compression stockings and the leg pressure cuffs. Around midnight, I told my nurse that I was feeling the urge to pee on my own, and the catheter was removed a few hours later. I was cleared for release after that :-)
Best of luck on your surgery. I am amazed at how quickly I'm recovering and hope you will be amazed with your own quick recovery.
They didn't even require me to pee after they removed the catheter. I had a nurse change right after. The nurse that removed the catheter said make sure you call someone to help you if you get up. Shift change happened then that nurse came in never asked about anything, told me sure I could get up and take a shower and left. I saw her again at 10:30 when she discharged me. I peed first time at home. Very weird after not letting me get up at all prior but I was grateful. I slept form about midnight to 5 am but that was it at the hospital. Too many interruptions, lol.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register