Endometrial hyperplasia: Do I need or should I have hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial hyperplasia: Do I need or should I have hysterectomy? Endometrial hyperplasia: Do I need or should I have hysterectomy?

Unread 08-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Endometrial hyperplasia: Do I need or should I have hysterectomy?

Hi Ladies, I have been a little lost around this site so please forgive me. I am new to all of this.

My story: I am 56 years old and post menopausal. The whole problem began when I started the menopause. I have hot flashes from Hell and not much seems to help. I also have Graves' Disease which is in remission right now, but tomorrow that could change. I also have a brain tumor that 3mm in the brain stem that I toke medication for for 5 months and it shrunk but I have to have it watched with MRI

I don't know where to turn to anyone. No one understands me in my circles. That is why I have come here. I am having endometrial hyperplasia. I have had 2 D&C's in the past 2 years. I have a uterine lining of 9.5 mm and then after that first D/C it was normal for while. About a year later, it was 5.4 mm and I had to go back and have another D/C, I am using unopposed estrogen patch Vivelle dot because I cannot tolerate progesterone despite the Provera tries and the Prometrium. I get very ill on it. I have to have transvaginal ultrasounds all the time which I find humiliating. And recently in the past few weeks gyno wants to do hysterectomy.

I told her at first, that removing the uterus would be a good choice then she said she wanted to remove the cervix and ovaries. I have nothing wrong with either but she said that's more or less protocol. I do not understand any of this. She is planning the surgery for October for after going online and reading about it, I do not LIKE what I am reading. Bowel prolapse, urinary problems, bladder prolapse, etc. Also shortening the vagina. I am a married woman and want to still be able to have relations with my husband.

Please let me know what you think. I know you are not allowed to give medical advise but I need someone to talk to and don't tell me to take the depression pills. I went that route and it does not work. I have tried Gabapentin, Black cohosh, etc. nothing works except the Vivelle Dot and even that is questionable. Because of the tumor in my head which is a tricky brain surgery, they prefer to leave it but I was informed it drains my body of estrogen. My level is 14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Re: Do I need or should I have hysterectomy?

I am sorry you are going through this. Please get a second opinion to discuss other options or at least to find a doctor who will consider your wish to keep your cervix and ovaries if a hysterectomy is indeed the best option. Your current physician should at least explain her reasoning and not just blow it off as protocol. Best wishes to you!
Unread 08-29-2014, 10:17 PM
Re: Do I need or should I have hysterectomy?

Thank you so much for your reply. I agree with you wholeheartedly and that is why I am traveling to the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in October to meet with one of the best gynecologists to see what she has to say. I have done quite a bit of research on this and feel that maybe I will have to be sick for a few days a month taking Provera and transvaginal ultrasounds seem to be the way to keep things in check. Unfortunate, but at this point, I have enough on my plate with the Graves' and tumor.

I am opinion to any other thoughts and opinions. Please take the time to make any remarks or comments on this you might think is feasible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Re: Endometrial hyperplasia: Do I need or should I have hysterectomy?

forget it nobody cares to help me out here. never felt so alone in my life
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:46 PM

Sorry you are frustrated. Sounds to me like you are doing all the right things to make an informed decision that will be the best for you.

What type of hyperplasia do you have? There is complex and simple, with and without atypia. I had complex with atypia which is the aggressive type so every thing out was the protocol. For women still in child bearing age that wish to still get pregnant, they use drugs like your treatment. But, like me, you are post menopause so past childbearing age. I had the ovaries taken too because of my history it was most likely that I would get ovarian cancer. I know having the ovaries removed does not 100% guarantee that will not happen but at least my chances are less. I really did not want to loose the cervix but it also cuts down the chance for cervical cancer. Plus, when the uterus is removed vaginally removing the cervix at the same time seems the norm.

But, it is your body and short of cancer, if you want to keep it, make sure you know and understand why the doctor recommends it. Hopefully the gyn you see in October will answer many of your questions. Make sure to write them down so you remember which are important to have answered, and the answers. Also, after see if you can get a copy of the doctors notes where you can read what she/he wrote in your medical records. I always find it interesting reading!

Also, if the ovaries are removed you will go through surgical menopause. It could be nothing or bad. Also, will you be able to take estrogen if your ovaries are removed?

I breezed through menopause but surgical the hot flashes are horrible. I can't take estrogen either to help with them.
Unread 09-03-2014, 11:15 AM

I am so sorry that you are going through all of this. And even more sorry that you feel so alone. I agree that you should seek a second opinion. Research some options and ask a physician if those options are available for you. Find a dr. that you feel comfortable with and don't hesitate to ask them to explain their reasoning. Best wishes and good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register