LSH and Endo? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH and Endo? LSH and Endo?

Unread 08-13-2005, 10:50 PM
LSH and Endo?

Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy...If I have endo on my left ovary would this still be an option?? I am going for my 2nd opinion next week...I was dx with endo 2 yrs ago at 22 y/o and my current doc will not even discuss hyster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2005, 06:25 PM
LSH and Endo?

Dear tired:

It's my understanding that endo may be better treated with an abdominal surgery so the doc can get all the endo removed. Hopefully, some endo experts will be along to reply shortly

Unread 08-14-2005, 07:31 PM
LSH and Endo?

Hi Tired_of_Hurtin,

I had an LSH over a year ago and I am still very pleased with my surgery results.

I cannot answer the endo question as it pertains to a LSH and I can suggest you check with your Dr. ASAP. I have been on Hyster Sisters since last year and to the best of my recollection, I saw a couple of LSH ladies post that they had endo.

And as Twysmiling replied, you want a surgery that will best suit you and your needs and one that you are the ~best~ candidate for. So check out all options, I say!!

Best wishes,

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2005, 08:11 PM
LSH and Endo?

I'm certainly no expert, but...

I *did* have an LSH, ended up bleeding for 12 days a month for 6 months and then had my cervix removed. There was some sort of discoloration on my cervix when it was taken out, that my surgery report says indicated entrapped blood and/or endometriosis. I also had more endo in the pelvic cavity.

The doc that did the first surgery said that they had found some "old endo" and left it. My second doc made sure to do a thorough search and zapped everything he found. It wasn't a lot, but it's very possible that it grew on my cervical stump in those six months between surgeries.

Will your doc not discuss a hyst with you because you are so young? Do you know what it is that is causing your pain? Do you have fibroids? Why do you think you may have endo on your ovary?

My first doc--who wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed --wanted to take my uterus secondary to an endometrioma on my ovary. He said he needed to remove my ovary, and we might as well take my uterus as well, as I'd been having almost constant, but light, bleeding and had lots of fibroids. An endometrioma is a cyst that is filled with endo--sometimes called a chocolate cyst. So, he thought I had an endometrioma (didn't!), found old endo during surgery, left it and took my uterus.

When you get your second opinion, I would ask about the possibility of endo coming back and growing on your cervical stump or elsewhere. I don't know your situation, but if your endo is severe and that is what is causing you so much pain, many docs wouldn't even do a hyst without also taking your ovaries. As the ovaries produce estrogen, and estrogen is what feeds endo, if even the tiniest speck is left it could very well come back.

I know you are probably really frustrated and also tired of hurting . But, please don't jump into anything before you feel you have a good understanding of the benefits and risks.

I'm really sorry that you are facing this at such a young age!

Margot
Unread 08-15-2005, 02:40 AM
LSH and Endo?

Quote:
I was dx with endo 2 yrs ago at 22 y/o and my current doc will not even discuss hyster.
As a young endo sufferer, I understand how overwhelming and frustrating it is to have a DR that won't talk/listen to you. I'm not completely sure about the LSH but I do know that many women with endo have had LAVH (including me) ~ which is also done with laporoscope.

How were you diagnosed with endo? Were you told it was found on your ovary? Were told how advanced the endo is? Have you tried any treatments available to endo patients?

I think it's very smart of you to get a 2nd opinion. I also think it would good to do some research on endo, if you haven't already. It's a tricky disease that has no cure. Yes, a hyst might be a permanent fix, but there's no way of knowing that for sure. Not even a DR can guarantee that.

This is a very hard thing to go through at any age, but especially so young. Good luck to you and I hope you find a DR that is experienced with endo and willing to work with you and YOUR needs.
Unread 08-15-2005, 08:18 AM
LSH and Endo?

Hi tired_of_hurtin,

I am so sorry you are dealing with the pain of endo at such a young age.

I had my hysterectomy for endo and my doctor recommended a TAH/BSO. He would not even do the surgery without removing the ovaries. He said more women end up having problems with their endo after their surgeries if they did not remove the ovaries...reason being that endo is very microscopic. Even the best surgeons can not guarantee that they will remove every tiny piece. If even one little piece is left, then the estrogen from the ovaries may stimulate it and cause further problems.

Here is an article about where endo is usually found.
Where endo can be found

It is common for it to be on the ovaries, tubes and cervix. That was the reason for the TAH. Everything needed to be removed for a more successful outcome. The abdominal surgery allows the doctor to get a better look at the places that the endo may be hiding and that allows for a better chance that they can remove what is seen.

I think it is a good idea to get another opinion Please read everything you can about the best possible way of treating your endo. Many women have a hysterectomy and are told this will solve all their pain. Unfortunately this is not true for all women and they still have problems with endo after their surgeries. There are many more precautions that need to be considered when dealing with endo. Not every doctor is aware of these precautions.

Here are some links in resources that may be helpful. There are other options and alternatives available that may offer you long term pain relief.
Endometriosis resources

I have read that estrogen stimulates endo and progesterone inhibits it's growth. For many women the reason they have endo may be due to estrogen dominance. A condition where the body has more estrogen and not enough progesterone to counteract the negative effects that estrogen has on endo. Some women find that if they get their progesterone levels up, their endo gets much better.Progesterone to treat endo

There is also surgical excision of the endo. Surgical excision

This treatment along with progesterone therapy may be a good option to try which may offer long term pain relief.

There is also a laproscopy a doctor can perform to go in and remove then endo which may provide years of pain relief.

Here is a list of different medications used to treat endo.Medications to treat endo

Please take your time with making your decision. I know this can be a very painful and we just want to get rid of the pain. It is always best to read and research and be well informed so we can help make decisions along with our doctors advice.

Best Wishes
Unread 08-15-2005, 10:50 AM
LSH and Endo?

I am having tah because of endo. I have two previous surgeries for it and still got bad abdominal pain. I hope that everything will be ok with you
Unread 08-16-2005, 02:01 PM
LSH and Endo?

Smargie

I had a laporoscopy in Aug of 2004. My doc. found that my ovary was basically "spider-webed" to my pelvic wall. She also found a cyst on the other ovary. Since my surgery a year ago, I have had two docs and both have said that a hyst. would be an option if I was older or already had children. As for fibroids...I don't even know what they are so I guess I don't have them or didn't at the time of surg.

I have been on 2 different BC pills since the dx. Yasmin and Sesonale. I am doing better on the Sesonale but when it comes time for my period I "live" on pain killers. I don't feel thats the way I am supposed to live.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register