Second opinion or do the hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Second opinion or do the hysterectomy? Second opinion or do the hysterectomy?

Unread 01-25-2016, 02:26 PM
Second opinion or do the hysterectomy?

I am 32 years old and a mom of 3 children. I have had my tubes tied so I do not want anymore. However the doctor just discovered that I have fluid build up on my tubes. My right one mainly which has been causing me a lot of issues. I am considering seeking a second opinion on this because I feel my doctor is not taking me quite seriously. For a while now I have been having severe pain in my pelvic region, and back with tons of watery discharge as if I am peeing on myself. This is becoming more of a nuisance than anything not to mention the pain can be unbearable. But it is the other things that have me more worried hence why I want to seek another opinion. I have been feeling blah for a while now. I had my last child in Nov of 2014 and 45 mins later my tubal. Over the summer I started having some major set backs. I thought I was pregnant again. I was experiencing every early pg signs. No energy, mood swings, crampy, bloated, nauseous, sometimes throwing up, and just that feeling that I have the flu. Times I would also feel movement in my stomach. But the thing that really got to me the most was the pelvic pain followed by the water discharge so much that my panties would be soaked. Embarrassing when you are out in public and have a big wet spot on your pants as if you peed yourself. Sometimes it is yellow mucous with blood in it. And it stinks to high heavens. Another thing that I never experienced before is after intercourse with my husband (which hurts anyways) I would bleed afterwards. Also my bowel movements have changed as well too as if there is an obstruction there. I am highly constipated though I am taking mirilax, eating healthy, high fiber foods and plenty of water I still can not go and when I do go it is like glass. The pain in my back feels like I am in labor again. Alll of this goes along with the time the watery discharge started and all the other symptoms. I brought this up to my ob and he decided to do an u/s which is when he found the fluid buildup in my tubes. The right like I said more so and pretty large in my opinion. But the u/s tech had me really scared for the look on her face and the questions she was asking me. She said my uterus looks very strange and asked if i had a history of fibroids. I told her I do not but I do have a history of endometriosis (another long story). She said it looks like growths in my uterus and she was right, When I was watching her do the u/s I could see what she was talking about bc I kept asking her what all those dark spots were in my uterus. But when she passed the images on to the ob he said nothing about it and in fact said everything looked fine except my right tube. He said he is "pretty sure it is not cancer" but fluid. He feels I can either deal with the pain for now til it gets real bad or he can go in there and remove it but with my history it would more than likely be best to do a hysterectomy. Seeing that I don't really need my lady parts anymore. Anyways while I was there for my appointment we discussed my very heavy menstrual bleeding and he prescribed a medicine for me to take to slow down the bleeding. I started taking the medicine a few days before my period was suppose to start and I have not started at all though I have had cramping like I going to anytime. I am 5 days late now. (not PG bc I have had my tubes tied) but I have mentioned this to my ob and waiting to hear back from him.
Just with everything I have read with my symptoms, my history, the u/s face of concern and the questions she asked, it makes me wonder if there is something more going on??? Also I don't know if I am ready for a hysterectomy though I know it might help improve these issues I have faced all my mature life. Any ideas ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2016, 08:41 PM
Re: Second opinion or do the hysterectomy?

Interesting experience. I think the mere fact you are thinking about a second opinion is all the more reason to go get one. I would ask for:

1. A referral to a doctor outside of the office your current doctor is in so it is completely unbiased/uninfluenced;
2. A copy of the ultrasound report & imaging.

I am assuming there is such a thing as a report that goes along with the imaging but I am rather naive about that. This way you and the second opinion doctor could read the report, giving you an opportunity to ask questions about anything you don't understand, and your second opinion doctor would have the imaging to review him/herself.

I had an experience where my doctor was either not forthcoming about the ultrasound report/imaging or they couldn't read the imaging as my it was my second opinion doctor that shared details that were never provided to me which is now directing me to a hysterectomy. It made me furious when I found this out because my other doctor just told me there were no problems to identify on the ultrasound.

Going for the second opinion could answer many of your questions and hopefully provide you with peace of mind. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register