I Need Advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I Need Advice I Need Advice

Unread 05-06-2005, 11:51 AM
I Need Advice

Hello:

10 days ago I had a DNC for dysfunctional bleeding and the test results were negative except the doctor did find polyps.

Recovery seemed OK, only light spotting, however, yesterday I started what I think seems to be a period.

Is this possible only 10 days after a DNC?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2005, 05:52 PM
I Need Advice

Hi ttreadwe

It's been a couple decades since my last D&C (and at the time my cycles were a mess anyway) but I have a vague recollection of the D&C sort of 'resetting' my cycle.
This article: What to Expect with a D&C says "your next period could be late or early."

Keep notes on your calendar so you can look for a pattern to develop and be able to share your info with your doctor on any return visits. (I always thought I'd remember like " oh, I'll remember this because it was right when"... but as time passed I'd forget.)

I hope your dysfunctional bleeding is much improved in the months to come. Please let us know how you are doing, okay? Sharing your results may help another sister in your shoes.

Best wishes & s,
Beth
Unread 05-06-2005, 07:18 PM
I Need Advice

Hi ttreadwe - I just had my second D & C March 14th. I had light bleeding for about a week and since then I have had nothing. My pathology also came out fine and I had not polyps. They were checking for endometrial hyperplasia (which I had dignosed twice with biopsies) but there were no signs of it from the D & C. I have not had any bleeding since but that may not be a good sign for me because I have gone before without bleeding and it has led to the hyperplasia. I'm having another ultrasound in June to make sure the lining if not getting too thick again.

I had my first D & C in Feb 04 (and if came back with no hyperplasia but 8-10 polyps) and a month later I had a light period but then I was on Megace to keep the lining thin. I'm sure it is not unusual to have bleeding again so soon but if you are at all concerned I would certainly touch base with the doctor just to make sure.

Hope all is well for your soon.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2005, 06:28 AM
I Need Advice

thanks for your responses......it's hard to know what is "normal" with my periods anymore. I don't even know when the bleeding is a period or not anymore!

I am scheduled to see my Dr. this coming Wed and we are going to talk about "hormone" options. I am very "leary" of HRT however, have been reading about the bio-identical options and think that seems to make a lot of sense.

Oh, I am 47 years old---so this must be all part of my ovaries "last hurrah" anyway.

Since this is my 2nd dnc in 18 months---I am not real excited about having to do these all the time like this!

Again, thanks for the advice--this is a very helpful forum for women!
Unread 05-07-2005, 06:49 AM
I Need Advice

treadwe - good luck checking out the bioidentical hormones. I went to a meeting about this at my GP's office and thought it sounded interesting but my GP is dead set against me going that route because any estrogen can make my situation worse. I met with his partner and after reseraching he didn't think he could help with even bioidentical progesterone. He talked to my gyn about it and my gyn is really against it - for anyone. He feels if the AMA doesn't endorse it then he doesn't. Hopefully your gyn with be more open to the idea.

Let us know how your next appt turns out. I was against taking the Megace last year but it was the only thing that helped. Now my new gyn doesn't even want to use that so like I said we're doing the "wait and see".

BTW I'm 56 and didn't start having problems until I was 54. I'm told I'm still in "peri" and haven't reached "meno" yet. My body just has to decrease the estrogen production!!!

Good luck.

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register