So many questions?!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So many questions?!? So many questions?!?

Unread 05-09-2012, 05:08 PM
So many questions?!?

So I finally got my date set for surgery 6/08/12. I was really paranoid about certain things but am finally starting to ease up from reading other women's stories. I feel like I have so many questions and forget most of them when at doctor's. I haven't seen a lot of women on here that have gotten the abdominal incision. That is what I will be having and my doctor tells me I will only be off of work for 4 weeks I think he is crazy. I have had two previous c-sections and I know it takes more time to heal that way...My doctor is great and I trust his experience but I still think it may require more time. I don't know if it's for the fact that I am only having uterus removed or what. Any help from any ladies that have had same procedure would be great. I have also been having a lot of fear of not making it through the procedure. I am in over all good health but I also know that doesn't mean things can't happen. I see a lot of success stories which does help.. Sorry if im just rambling I have so much running through my head. Oh also I want to know some insight on the belly binder and if women think that that will help also. I have seen a lot of comments about those and just wonder if I should maybe invest in one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Re: So many questions?!?!?!?!?!?

I am schedule tomorrow for a robot assisted lap hysterectomy, but my first surgery 7.5 years ago was a vertical cut laparotomy to remove ovarian cysts. I was out of work for six weeks. It seemed like the first week was rough moving around and pain wise, but I felt much better after that. I LOVE the belly binder, and highly recommend it! Money well spent! I have mine packed and ready to go tomorrow just in case I don't get one in the hospital. I also fear lots of stuff about anesthesia, going under, etc, but have been able to put it out of my mind since the chances are low and I can't do anything about it. Yes, things can happen, but the odds are very much in your favor that they won't. Good luck!!
Unread 05-09-2012, 05:28 PM

Thank you for your response Heatherr73 I wish you the best of luck for your surgery tomorrow.. I have been reading up on the belly binder's the only thing im curious about is if it will affect the staples that will be in my abdomen. Just kinda worried about them getting tugged on or something like that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2012, 05:42 PM

Where do you get the belly binders??? Do u think I need one for a TLH??? my surgery is in 6 days ugh
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:08 PM

I have looked online for them. They carry them at Wal-mart, Target and WalGreens not sure what all is in your area but you can google them and find out where they sell them.
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:28 PM

Thank you I had one that was put on after a lap that was provided by the hospital, and one that I bought from here. Both work equally as well. I did not have one for my open surgery, but I don't think the staples would have bothered it. I would suggest them for any abdominal surgery. They provide alot of support, and just make things feel held in place.
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:15 PM

I was already post op and had just found this site and didn't want to wait so I had a 6 inch ace wrap that I have used and it works great, molds easily and isn't very bulky. Just not as quick to don and doff. I think the support is important, especially at first when everything is jiggly
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:40 PM

I was signed out for 8 weeks with an abdominal incision (12th May to 12th July). My recovery was easy but I can't imagine going back to work at four weeks.

As a teacher, I have an 8 week summer break - and I still left 2.5 weeks before the end of the school year. I needed that time. At four weeks post-op, I taught a one day workshop for other teachers and that was tough enough. I traveled at six weeks for a family reunion. Returning to work in early August was about right <and even then I still tired easier and had some swelly belly days>. My doctor said physical activity (hiking) should be half-normal until six months as internal healing takes quite a bit of time.

A colleague had a vaginal hysterectomy over winter break and was out the entire month of January as well.

I'd ask your doctor why so skimpy on the time. Have you had a second opinion?
Unread 05-10-2012, 05:25 AM

I had an abdominal - 17 cm vertical incision. Had cervix, uterus, ovaries and tubes out - and a pelvic wash (suspected cancer - but no!)

So - yeah, I'd agree that 4 weeks is too little. I have never had any other surgery at all to measure it by (and I was afraid of THAT as well - would I wake up??)
I was feeling pretty OK by 6 weeks but didn't go back to work till 7 1/2 weeks, and found it tough for a week or so - in a sit-down job.
I could not have done a more active job at 7 weeks, I don't think. And at 4 - no way!

Take all the time you possibly can - and I'd say that for any type of hysterectomy.
Unread 05-10-2012, 06:36 AM

I just had my TAH, it will be 4 weeks tomorrow. It was supposed to be a LAVH so my doc told me 6 weeks. There has been no talk if extending that due to full incision but I don't see him til next Wednesday. I feel great and have not had any issues that seem to be outside of mormal. My incision really hurts by end of day so I put my binder on a take a percocet at bedtime. I sleep all night unless it starts aching. The binder has been great. I woke up from surgery wearing one so that might be a question to as your doctor. Lots of women have purchased one on this site at the store. Hopefully I will be ready for return in two weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register