Urologist at surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Urologist at surgery? Urologist at surgery?

Unread 01-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Urologist at surgery?

Today I got the scheduling call from my gyno office. Set for surgery Feb 1. She told me I should call the urologist that was also going to be at the surgery. I was taken aback and told her I knew nothing about urologist and I have no issues. Dr never mentioned either. Needless to say, dr called me to discuss and said he wanted a urologist at surgery to put urethral stents in to safeguard any damage to the bladder, ureters and kidneys. He said it makes it much easier to find during surgery where there is a lot of scar tissue and adhesions to maneuver around. I haven't read anything about this or seen anyone mention so just wondering if this is standard.
I'm ok with whatever will help as long as my insurance will pay!
Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Re: Urologist at surgery?

I haven't seen this mentioned either. But I have seen a lot of posts about bladders being nicked etc. during surgery.
anyway, my aunt has been a surgical nurse for 35 years. She assists in the DiVinci and traditional hysterectomies all the time. She told me that if my doctor doesn't mention it that I should request one. She said they put the stents in after you are under and then remove them before you awake in recover. She said that it can save a lot of possible complications. She said this is especially important if you haven't had any bladder issues before. I hope this helps. Good for your doctor for being proactive.
Unread 01-09-2013, 08:24 PM

I have not heard of this, but it does make some sense. It sounds like your doctor is on top of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2013, 12:04 AM

I believe that I'm suppose to have a urologist at my surgery as well. Early on in my diagnosis phase they found damage to one of my ureters as well as some minor kidney damage and they want to make sure they check that out during the surgery. But to the best of my knowledge I don't have to meet with the urologist. My procedure isn't until early next month, so I might find out otherwise between now and then. lol.
Unread 01-10-2013, 07:07 AM

glad to know im not the only one!
Thanks ladies.
Unread 01-10-2013, 07:13 AM

My surgeon explained that to me at my pre op... Because my fibroids are so big she said it helps her to feel the urethra and ensure she doesn't damage anything. Makes sense to me! My surgery is the 28th - good luck and see you on the other side!
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:26 PM

I obviously am in the same boat. I have a pre-op with a urologist and then the next day a pre-op with my gyn. My surgery is next month. I have never had any kidney or bladder issues with the exception of a sneeze or two that were a slightly embarrassing. I was totally caught off guard when I got the call for the appointment with the urologist. Evidently there will be stents place before my LAVH. I won't lie, I am a tad apprehensive about all of these, but I haven't got a clue what to expect at the urology pre op. All thoughts are welcome and thanks ahead of time.
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:59 PM

The only side effect I had was bloody ursine post op for 2 days. They would not take out the catheter until it was clear. My surgery was more complicated due to bladder and uterus adhesion so I'm glad the urologist was there.
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:22 AM

I had my surgery Jan 17th, 2013 and did not know anything about a Urologist until he came in and explained his part of the surgery and had me sign the consent.
I did not have any pre or post op issues with my bladder so I was surprised but pleasantly so, knowing they were going to take every precaution to avoid unnecessary damage.
The only scary part was when my idiot post op nurse told me the stints were still in and the urologist would remove them later! Well I panicked because he told me they would be removed after my surgeon was done with the LSH. My RN called and determined that the post op nurse was an idiot and that they had been removed. I demanded they ultrasound/x-ray to verify and all was well!
Once the catheter was removed the following morning I had a small bit of discomfort the first few times I urinated but no blood.
I hope this helps and best wishes on your surgery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register