Upcoming surgery 12/31: My sister keeps comparing my hysterectomy surgery to her ablation. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming surgery 12/31: My sister keeps comparing my hysterectomy surgery to her ablation. Upcoming surgery 12/31: My sister keeps comparing my hysterectomy surgery to her ablation.

Unread 12-15-2015, 10:28 AM
Upcoming surgery 12/31: My sister keeps comparing my hysterectomy surgery to her ablation.

I finally told my sister about my LAVH over the weekend now that it's all scheduled. She keeps telling me I should be fine in a couple days because that's how she was after her ablation and bladder sling. I feel that's pretty insensitive of her to be so flippant about my surgery. Ugh, I wish I never told her....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2015, 11:26 AM
Re: My sister keeps comparing my surgery to her ablation.

Golden rule: mention your surgery on a *must* know basis. This is the best way to avoid potentially unwanted comments.
Unread 12-15-2015, 11:39 AM

I agree with GPMS, I told almost no one. But is it possible that maybe your sister is trying to make you less nervous? Maybe she is trying to be nice by telling you that you will soon feel fine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2015, 12:37 PM

My mother compared my heavy clotty crampy period bleeding to her nose bleeds. It's very frustrating when all we are looking for is a little support.
Unread 12-16-2015, 06:12 AM
Upcoming surgery 12/31: My sister keeps comparing my hysterectomy surgery to her ablation.

I had an ablation in 2013 and just had a LAVH yesterday. Very different recovery. With the ablation nothing is removed or cut. You have a little cramping and are up & moving the next day. With the hysterectomy they are removing an organ, you may have incisions that need to heal, regardless you have lots of internal healing that has to happen. Not to mention that you have other areas inside that get aggravated durin surgery like bladder and intestines and your body needs to readjust itself and everything needs to "settle" into its new places once the uterus is removed. And if you are having ovaries removed then you have to play the hormone game too!
Unread 12-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Re: My sister keeps comparing my hysterectomy surgery to her ablation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebuggy76 View Post
I had an ablation in 2013 and just had a LAVH yesterday. Very different recovery. With the ablation nothing is removed or cut. You have a little cramping and are up & moving the next day. With the hysterectomy they are removing an organ, you may have incisions that need to heal, regardless you have lots of internal healing that has to happen. Not to mention that you have other areas inside that get aggravated durin surgery like bladder and intestines and your body needs to readjust itself and everything needs to "settle" into its new places once the uterus is removed. And if you are having ovaries removed then you have to play the hormone game too!
Thank you for your reply! I appreciate getting your perspective on both procedures. From all the info I've read and received on this site, I know recovery will be slow and steady process. My sister is one of those that can't have anything worse, better, happier than she is at that moment. I'm the little sister so she also likes to tell me how it's going to be with most everything since she's been there done that. It's a dumb thing, I know, but she's been this way my whole life.

And I only told her because my mom has a big mouth and told her. My mom is coming up to help me for the first week with my kids, etc., so she decided to tell my sis and others!! Ugh, family can be such a complication......
Unread 12-16-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasha02 View Post
My mother compared my heavy clotty crampy period bleeding to her nose bleeds. It's very frustrating when all we are looking for is a little support.
Omg, yep, those two are so similar...NOT!! I've had some serious nose bleeds in the past and it's nothing like what I experience with my period. And I agree, all you want is some support. How is that so hard to get??
Unread 12-16-2015, 09:45 AM

I have a friend who compares my upcoming hysterectomy with her gastric bypass some years ago. "They're both abdominal surgery!"
Yes. Yes, they are. But still not the same. An organ is detached and removed, yes. But I suppose her stomach wasn't pulled out through her vagina... I'll ask next time.... :S
Unread 12-18-2015, 11:00 AM

I'm 3 days post op with an LAVH, and I've had 3 d&cs, 2 ablations and 2 vivisections previously.

Guess what?

It's not the same.

All of my other surgeries were outpatient. I was home within hours. After my second d&cs and ablation, I went to a party the very next night!

This surgery is a much bigger deal. I refused visitors, and certainly won't be going to any parties!

I'm glad your mom is coming to help out. As far as your sister? Remind yourself - it's really all about her, not you. Be gentle with yourself and take the time you need to heal properly!
Unread 12-18-2015, 11:06 AM

Sorry but I had to LOL about this a little bit. They are nowhere near the same. I was originally going to have an ablation before we figured out I had other stuff going on in there. I was scheduled to have it done in the doctor's office, wide awake, with just a local anesthetic and a dose of NORCO ahead of time. I was also going to have it done on a Thursday afternoon and return to work the next day. Can you imagine attempting any of that with a hysterectomy? I sure can't.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register