Anyone out there with a "best thing that ever happened to me" success story? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone out there with a "best thing that ever happened to me" success story? Anyone out there with a "best thing that ever happened to me" success story?

Unread 04-24-2001, 09:24 AM
Anyone out there with a "best thing that ever happened to me" success story?

Hi,

Could really use some feedback:

I an Pre-op and keep reading the negative: the hormonal problems, the bladder problems, the depression...does anyone post surgery six months or more have a "best thing that ever happened to me" story? That's what my doc keeps saying. "I know women who say it's the best thing they ever did, wish they did it sooner".

I'm a funny girl, I guess. I like my uterus. I have had two myomectomies (fibroid removal). I have aggressively growing fibroids, that is, they get to be about the size of a cantaloupe 3-5 years after surgery.
But I have only three days discomfort during ovulation, no irregular bleeding, exact 28-day periods, and I'm a big woman so although I feel pressure from the size it doesn't bother me on a day to day basis.

My doctor says that because I have a uterus that produces these things regularly and aggressively I should have a hyst. But I don't wanna. How come all religions are respected in the operating room, but my profound spiritual belief that what Ihave down there is supposed to remain down there as long as possible is not. At first I said I'd have the hyst, then I called him back and said, take just the fibroids. He got irriatated with me, like I'm a horrible spoiled brat or an illogical woman for wanting to keep things intact.

Thank goodness I am seeing an accupuncturist who is very supportive and would prefer I NOT have the hysterectomy. Totally different philosophy...taking the uterus is a last last last resort.

Of course I also see the doctors point. I CANT keep going through surgeries;to do so also carries a profoud risk. But nine years to menopause and counting! Someone say somethiing nice and supportive to me, please.

Also would like to know if anyone has used any alternative stuff like progesterone cream to reduce or maintain fibroid size, or accupuncture to do same?

Let me know. Thanks

Naturegirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2001, 09:51 AM

Hi Naturegirl! Tried the progest creme for peri-meno symptoms. Worked for awhile,then I just got sore boobs and fatigued!
Never heard of using it for fibroids. Have you hd a second opinion? Sound like you might be un-happy with your dr's view of things. But , he is right on one thing...you can't keep doing surgery. There is a lot of info and success stories on the pull-down menu on home page. That is pretty much how I decided that my endo and uterus had to go!.
I can't live with the pain anymore!
And I know I will have suport to get through this. Hope you are ok, I KNOW you will be!
Peanut
Unread 04-24-2001, 09:52 AM

Like you I have a fibroid... and it is causeing me problems... long drawn out heavy periods (for a few days they are heavy.. I mean really heavy)
I too dont like the idea of hysterectomy... BUT, am starting to think.. all right already enough of this. It consumes too much of my energy... not just physically.
I am using the natural progestrone cream. But to tell you the truth... althought my fibroids havent gotten bigger... I am starting to think, the cream might be making the flow worse. Ever since I have been on it (my periods last a lot longer.... 10-16 days)
Today I should start to use it again.. and I am going to hold off and see what happens next month.
There is one more thing I would like to tell you about.
It is a hysterectomy called ... Laprascopic Supercervical Hysterectomy. BY far, it seems the least evasive and holistic approach. (if there is such a thing)
Go to google. com and do a search for "painless hysterectomy" or Laprascopic supercervical hysterectomy. It might make you feel alittle better should you go the surgery route.......and would be a canidate for it.

All this is a process... be patient with yourself... and learn all your options... as long as its not life threatening use the time wisely.
take care
xoxo Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2001, 10:24 AM
I'm only 2 weeks post, but.....

It was definately the right decision for me. However, I had extreme pain.

Endo sufferers undergo repeated surgeries. It is your decision. Are your fibroids inside the uterus or outside? Are you a candidate for alternatives?

A lot of the six month post ladies don't seem to frequent the boards unless they have problems, but you might check out the list of hostesses and ask some of them. They will probably be along soon, anyway.

It does sound like you are not comfortable with your doc. If that is so, find another one. There are plenty of good ones out there that will try lots of alternatives.

Finally, remember that a hyster is an ELECTIVE surgery. If it fully your decision. When it is time, you will know!
Best wishes!
Unread 04-24-2001, 10:33 AM

Hi Naturegirl:

I'm one of those women who will tell you that it is absolute, positively the best thing I ever did for myself. After years of suffering I finally have my life back and I've never felt better. Very smooth recovery with few glitches along the way. Great doctor, great hospital, nice nurses, groovy pain meds. My partner insists that I got a personality transplant along with my hyst. I have a sense of humor again - I had misplaced it somewhere along the way. I have more energy than I've ever had and have lost weight to boot.

BUT - and this is a big BUT - I was completely ready to have this surgery, both physically and mentally. I didn't want to have children and came to terms with losing my ability to make that choice for myself. I was not a big fan of my uterus and was thrilled to see it head for the hills.

If you are not prepared to have this surgery, take some time to get a second opinion and explore all the options. Balance the risks of ongoing surgeries with your desire to keep your uterus. It's your body and you have the right to decide but do make sure you have all the information you need to make an intelligent, thoughtful decision, not just a purely emotional one.

{{{Hugs}}}

Galen
Unread 04-24-2001, 10:40 AM
Consider a new doctor??

Hi Naturegirl!
This is a HUGE decision and not one to be taken lightly. I had my hyst due to multiple fibroids and endometriosis, very heavy and frequent bleeding, long term anemia, etc. My hyst WAS the best thing I ever did. I now have my life back.

I hated my symptoms, but I did not want to have surgery. I explored multiple options and I had a WONDERFUL gyn who took the time to hear all of my questions, discussed all alternatives, and she thoroughly explained all of the ramifications of each. She did not rush me in my decision.

If you are not having problems as a result of your fibroids, get more opinions. What are the long term consequences of not having the surgery (since your fibroids grow so large). How will it hurt you? What are the risks? What impact will the fibroids have on your other organs? I also agree that repeated myomectomies might be hard on you.

If I was not having symptoms and I felt they way you do, I would go to several (3 or 4 or more) doctors for advice.

I'm glad I had my hyst, but you CANNOT undo it.
Best of luck to you as you go through this difficult decision making process!!
Unread 04-24-2001, 11:00 AM

Sounds as if you need to postpone your surgery unless it is required medically right now.

Half the battle seems to be psychological, mentally preparing oneself and accepting that the decision one has made is arrived at after learning as many of the facts as possible. One must be comfortable with that in order to have a successful surgery and recuperation. This is a different process for every woman.

I don't think any woman starts out with the idea she actually wants to get rid of her uterus, even when there is massive pain and bleeding involved. Myself, I decided I am not emotionally bonded to my reproductive organs. What makes me a woman is what goes on in MY HEAD and MY HEART!

Generally speaking, I don't think women would think a man ceased to be a man because he had to have his testicles removed. The guy wouldn't be happy but would we think less of him? I don't think so. Then it seems reasonable we shouldn't think less of ourselves for loss of a uterus or ovaries.

Before you self-medicate, I hope you check with your doctor so that you don't do harm. Best of luck to you in your journey.
Miranda
Unread 04-24-2001, 11:03 AM

Hi!

Personally, I am thrilled that I had this surgery 8 months ago, and am VERY happy with the new me! I had a large fibroid that I wanted to get rid of, and I have never wanted children, so I was ready.

However, as mentioned above, this is YOUR choice. It is a very personal decision, and you need to find a doctor who you are comfortable with and who will respect your decisions. This is a very serious surgery, with no going back, so it has to be something you want and are prepared for.

Please take the time to get all the information you can from your doctor (or a new one), and make an informed decision that you can live with!

Good luck!
Unread 04-24-2001, 11:40 AM

Well here it is... This is the best thing I could have done for myself!!!! I am 2 weeks post-op and still moving slow, but I am starting to feel like a NEW woman. I am so excited about no more periods, cramps and all that go with it. Not to mention the pain and aggravation constantly. This was not that bad. I think if you have a good atttitude then you will be fine. All of the worrying before the surgery was my worst part. So relax and try to make the best of it..
Unread 04-24-2001, 11:47 AM

Hi Naturegirl...

I have had a laser myomectomy, and like you, my fibroids grew back with speed and malice! However, one myomectomy was plenty for me.

I had my hyst 7 weeks ago, but I can tell you that I have never felt better.

You might feel better if you got a second opinion...if your fibroids grow back at the rate you describe and the best treatment your current doctor can offer you is more surgery, you might want to shop around for another physician.

Also, do you have an appointment with menopause? I'm curious to know why you say "nine years and counting"? Menopause is a gradual process....doesn't just shut you down one morning.

JMHO, but if I were you I would seek out another doctor who can address the current range of treatments with you, and can perhaps set your mind to rest about the possible value of a hysterectomy or other treatments v. years of repeated (and unsuccessful) surgeries.

Please let us know what you learn.

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register