Weight Gain??? Upcoming surgery concerns | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight Gain???   Upcoming surgery concerns Weight Gain??? Upcoming surgery concerns

Unread 04-28-2002, 06:56 PM
Weight Gain??? Upcoming surgery concerns

I've heard so much about weight gain and how hysterectomy makes you gain weight. Is is true????
I am almost underweight, very petite and admittedly.... almost to the point of destruction if I do gain extra pounds.... I will not eat. I have been concerned because my time to report to the hospital is 10:30am and I will certainly be starving since no food or drink is allowed after 8pm. I often wake up around 5am starving to the point of vomiting only to take some water and be able to make it til my lunch time around 10:30am. I am counting on the nerves to keep me from wanting to eat. Is it so???
Please tell me , should I worry with the weight issue. I am very aware of every morsel that goes into my mouth. I know is it stupid but I have a problem with gaining any weight, I want to stay the size I am.
Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2002, 09:21 PM
Hi

Hi Susan

I hope that you can see that the most important thing for you - especially now - is to get really healthy. I'm certain that if you really concentrate on what you need to do to be healthy, including eating the right foods in the right amount, drinking plenty of water, walking, resting, etc. that you will be fine.

Please don't let your focus on getting well be distracted by your concern about weight right now.

s

EL
Unread 04-28-2002, 09:29 PM

Susan,

I'm just a little over a month past my TVH and so far my weight is about the same - I may have lost a couple of pounds. One of the booklets I read before the procedure addressed the question about weight gain, and they didn't seem to think it was an issue. I'm sure you can probably gain weight pretty easily during the recovery because you're less active and sometimes it's easy to eat from sheer boredom. Just make sure you drink lots of water, try to keep healthy snacks around, and walk as much as you feel like you can without overdoing. If you've always been conscious of your weight and watched what you eat, I doubt that will change!

Best wishes!

Margaret
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2002, 09:34 PM

Are you keeping your ovaries, or having them out? The only medical reason I could see for possibly gaining weight would be if your hormones weren't right.

I gained a few pounds, but seriously that was because I can eat a large pizza in two meals without batting an eye (and I did, a few too many times). Can't blame that on the hyst. Once I decided to stop that and just eat in moderation those few pounds, plus a few more, dropped right off. If your current problems are keeping you from being as active as you'd like, you might find it *easier* after your hyst to stay at a good wieght for you, since you'll be able to exercise and do fun active things more.

Speaking of hormones, you should talk to your doctor about checking your bone density now (to get a baseline if nothing else), and get some recommendations for avoiding osteoporosis in the future. Being fine-boned and petite puts you at greater risk. (Here's one reason I'm glad I'm 5'-9", 168 lb, w/ size 11 feet!) At least check - it's reasonably preventable, but once it becomes obvious it's too late to do much about it.

What I did the last meal before my hyst was to have an assortment of clear liquids (which was all I was allowed) - boullion, tea, Jell-o, Gatoraide - it kept me going pretty well. I have a more-than-healthy appetite, generally, and I lived through the "fast". I didn't listen though, and had the boullion, which is salty - the nurse said to avoid salt, and she was right - the *thirst* was what got to me. My first walk in the hospital was straight to the Snapple machine! Drink all you can while you are allowed to - being well hydrated going in makes everything easier.

Best of luck!
Unread 04-29-2002, 12:30 AM

Don't let the prospect of possible weight gain wig you out! I understand having issues about that, maybe you would like to talk to your doctor about your concerns?

I lost eight pounds from surgery and still had about 15 more to go, but the eight I lost are creeping back up on me (well okay, they are coming back kind of quickly lately). It has nothing to do with my surgery. I, like Linda, have a good appetite, and because of the restrictions on activity during recovery, I haven't been able to do as much exercise as I normally would. I also have this bad habit of choosing Haagen-Dazs over the sugar-free Jello snacks in the fridge...not something you would probably ever do.

Just concentrate on getting well, everything will work out okay, weight-wise and otherwise.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register