First chemo completed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First chemo completed First chemo completed

Unread 02-26-2004, 05:57 PM
First chemo completed

Had my first chemo yesterday.
question: when's it gonna hit? This is day 2.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. Have had some strong intestinal cramps, nothing happened though.

I'm taking Zofran through tomorrow night.

I really want to jump around being all happy but I'm a kinda cautious person

Input?

Thanks for all the prayers

nancy j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2004, 07:38 PM
First chemo completed

s Nancy

Every person handles it differently.
I used to receive taxol and carboplatin on a Thursday. For the rest of Thursday and all day Friday I felt pretty darn normal. Then on Saturday the yuckies would hit. And would hang on for a few days. Seemed to hang on longer the further I went into my six treatments.
Remember to ward off constipation and keep pushing those liquids to flush out your kidneys.
Hopefully your easy time will continue!

karenann
Unread 02-26-2004, 07:39 PM
First chemo completed

Welcome back Nancy!

Wow, sounds like you're doing well. I don't have any chemo experience, but I'll keep hoping & praying that the other shoe never drops!

And of course if it does, you know that it means that any remaining cancer cells are being *punch* and
Just picture it!

Keep us posted!

Blessings.
Marlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2004, 08:51 PM
First chemo completed

Hi Nancy

Congrats on getting through that first treatment! Like the others have said, I felt allright the first couple days. By day 3 I started feeling bad, with day 4 being the worst. I still feel yucky day 5, but by Day 6 the bounce back has begun in ernest. And everytime I felt a little better on the respective days. I got a different combo, but yours may be similar.

I'm really happy to hear that you can get there and home again without feeling too sick. How's that port site doing? I was surprised to hear how sore you were... but then I have plenty of flesh to plant that thing in. I'm pretty fluffy.

Just remember if you start feeling a little sicker in the next couple days, it won't last long... and you'll have a couple weeks to feel pretty good.

Limbo
Unread 02-26-2004, 09:06 PM
First chemo completed

Ok ya all....explain to me what the yuckies, and feeling a little sicker are?lolol

Do you mean 'laying in the bathroom floor heaving for hours at a time'? Or 'bad enough that hubby has to actually carry me TO the bathroom floor..........OR even worse?

And I did not take anything for constipation because up until chemo I had been fighting diarrhea from the radiation. Well, guess who did not go today?
I do believe I will start hitting those salads, pizzas, etc....that I've been avoiding!!

nancy
Unread 02-26-2004, 09:30 PM
First chemo completed

hi, this website is new for me but I feel as if i may be able to answer your questions regarding chemo treatments. I'm not sure if you received the same chemo that I did (carbo & taxol) 6 tx.'s every 3 weeks. I finished with my chemo on Jan. 5th 2004, and for the most part I could just about predict how i would be feeling because of the treatment before. The side effects didn't vary much with each treatment. Day 1- I felt fairly well, Day2- I started with some gastrointestinal problems (ex: constipation), so i so started the Colace, Day 3,4,5, I took Zofran around the clock because I felt nauseated and didn't have much of an appetite. One weird thing was that when I did feel like I could eat something, it was always spicy foods that i craved ex: pizza, italian subs, taco bell . Weird huh? With taking the zofran i never vomited once, nauseated some but not to bad. I was just very weak and somewhat depressed. I have a great support system but I have a difficult time allowing people to do for me, so I have to get over that and except their love and help. You should definately feel better by Day 7, (maybe day 6). You"ll learn to enjoy the time off in between tx.'s as much as possible because if your anything like me I felt 100% back to my self in that time frame.
God bless and take care if you have any other questions just let me know.
Cathy Ovarian Ca dx. 8-8-03 stage 1c tah bso on 1-18-04
Unread 02-26-2004, 09:31 PM
First chemo completed

For me "sicker" means like having the flu without running a fever. I was slightly nauseous, but never truly close to actually throwing up. Energy is very low. All you wanna do is lay on the couch or in bed. But you can definately get up and move around. My first round I nearly passed out after showering on Day 6, but remember, I was still recovering from the surgery as well. I've never been that weak since. I also get bone pain which is at it's worst Day 4-5. It's more like stabbing pain, not constant pain. And wrapping up in an electric blanket helps with that alot. Then, once I start feeling "better", my taste buds are affected and even water tastes yucky. After my first round, when my taste buds started to recover, I REALLY craved those crunchy pickles like they serve in delis. I could't stop eating them! It was so nice to find something that tasted GOOD again.
Unread 02-26-2004, 09:44 PM
First chemo completed

First of all, welcome Cathy
And thank you for the info. My chemo drugs are doxorubicin(adriamycin) and cisplatin. Once every three weeks for six cycles. So glad your chemos are over! How are you feeling now?

Limbo, okay, the low energy. That's understandable. Especially after these steroids wear off! whoa. I was up all night last night, up and down the hospital halls, getting ice, back to room, going back for mags, back to room, etc.etc.etc. Poor Hubby. I of course, announced each time I left and each time I came back. He would just groan!LOLOL This went on from 1 a.m. until 6 a.m. when he gave up and got up

I've already noticed a change in taste. A Sprite tasted like an old dirty tennis shoe smells...yuk.

nancy
Unread 02-26-2004, 10:04 PM
First chemo completed

Yeah... those steroids. I sometimes think that's the worst part. Did you get some ativan with the pre-meds? I get a tiny bit and it takes that jittery edge off. I also had trouble sleeping the night before Chemo #1. I think it was a combination of the steroids and the nerves. I haven't had that trouble since. Now that I'm back at work I actually look forward to my "day off" and relax.
Unread 02-26-2004, 10:14 PM
First chemo completed

Hi Nancy,

I had my chemo 3 days in a row every three weeks. I felt Ok the frist day after each chemo, but the 2nd day was always the worst. I would feel so tired that I wouldn't even want to roll over in bed, but to wired to sleep. Wired, but tired x100! I was a bit queasy, had the dry heaves a few times, but the nausae was not bad. I had bone pain which i believe was from Taxol. I also had Cisplatin. The worst of my symptoms never lasted for more than 36 hours and some chemos werent as bad as others. I also took a mild laxative on chemo days to help with constipation, I craved unusual things like persimmons, tomatoes and salmon, but figured my body needed them. I know it seems like chemo will last forever, but I was surprised at how soon it was all over. It really is doable as I hope you are finding

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register