Post EA-is this "normal"?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post EA-is this "normal"?? Post EA-is this "normal"??

Unread 08-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Post EA-is this "normal"??

Hi,
I have had a long hx of heavy, irregular, long periods, pain++++ and +, PMS and so on. Have tried various options over the years, none with success. I am 40, with two children (both high risk pregnancies-so after last one 13 yrs ago had tubal)
I had a hysterscopy, D&C and the Novasure EA on Aug 10th. Did not do very well post-op in that I had a lot of cramping, very tired, nauseated etc for 5 days. Then on the 5th day, it was like my water broke, and I had a large amount of clear discharge. It eased up on the amount, but within hours, I started to feel really good. The discharge continued, spotting here and there, but for the next week, I literally felt on top of the world! Always one to be a little cautious, I didn't overdo things, waited 9 days to go back to work (doc had said 5-7) waited 10 days to be intimate again (doc said 7)
Then today came.
I got up, felt fine, little tired, but we went to bed late, so thought nothing of it. Approx two hours after I was up, I had severe cramping (the same though I was used to previously with my bleeding) and I started to flow again. Nowhere near the amount I am accustomed to, but I was so surprised and yes, very discouraged.
The day continued, the cramps have gone to outright pain, I am taking Tylenol 3's to take the edge off, the flow is light but there, and I am wondering what is next.
I will contact my ob/gyn tomorrow, but has anyone else had something similar?
He mentioned I may have another period, but this has only been 12 days since the EA......it isn't even a cycle-not that I could follow my cycles for the last few years anyways.
When we discussed this as an option, he told me he finds for 80% it works very well, the other 20% move on to a hyster.......does this mean I am in the 20%??

Thank you for letting me ramble........I am so discouraged right now, not to mention in pain. I felt so good this past week, I couldn't wait to get up and start another day, get things done, and now, it feels like I am back to the start.
If anyone can shed any light, thank you in advance,
Would appreciate anyone's prayers too.

Tracey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2004, 04:00 PM

Hey Tracey,
Well, we have lots in common here. Same name, same surgery with the same type of procedure!!

Anyway, I just had mine done on 8/17 and have been reading a lot on this and another message board just for EA. From what I read, it seems that you have and are experiencing pretty common issues. Lots of ladies have told me about the "gush" and the discharge and also lots have told about bleeding again. Not as much but sometimes it happens. From what everyone has told me and from what I've read, it seems to take a good 3-6 months to get a clear idea as to how the procedure took. It takes time for your body to heal and adjust.

My doc told me that 95% of the time this works. About 60% of time time no periods at all and the rest will still have bleeding but not as heavy as before. Don't get discouraged. As I said it takes time for things to settle in and the body to adjust. If you like, check out the other site and you may get some more info that will make you feel better about your decision.

http://home.att.net/~endometrial_ablation/

That site is mostly just for ablation and is so informative. The women there are very supportive and informative just like here.

Feel free to contact me if you want to talk. Good luck and let me know how you are doing.

Tracey
Unread 08-23-2004, 07:37 PM

Hi Tracey,

Thank you so much for your support. We do have common ground by the sounds of it!
My flow today is next to nothing from what I am accustomed to, but the cramping continues to be severe, particularly left sided. I put a call into my ob/gyn and it took most of the day until I reached his secretary live. She is no problem to talk to, just puts the answering machine on a lot. She told me she would talk to him about my concerns and get back to me. I waited but no call.
I didn't take anything for the pain today, in case I could get to see him and would have to drive, which has made it very uncomfortable.

I have read much along the way, and did look to the site you mentioned (thank you again) I think what caught me off guard was the great week I had, and the fact only 12 days had passed. If it had been a month and the cramping etc began, I would have put it to a period of sorts, but this just didn't add up. If I had been feeling a little under still and then it happened, I don't think it would bother me as much, but when I had such a great week.....

Sorry, rambling again. It is getting late, I am going to have some pain pills and go to bed. Tomorrow is another day, and my prayer is for a better one.
I do hope every day gets better for you Tracey as well.

Tracey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2004, 08:13 AM

Hi Tracey !!
Well, that was the best thing to call the doc but he should have gotten back to you especially when you expressed your concerns to the assistant.

Did you try posting on the other board about your situation? I know there are a few nurses on there who moderate as well and they may be able to give you some information as to your situation. Could it possibly be that you may have overdone it a little ? From what I've read, it is best to take it as easy as possible for a couple of weeks to help with the healing.

I'm sorry you're going through this and hope it gets better for you each day. Let's stay in touch and please let me know what happens !

Tracey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register