Full Hysterectomy coming up- what do I tell my 6 year old | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Full Hysterectomy coming up- what do I tell my 6 year old Full Hysterectomy coming up- what do I tell my 6 year old

Unread 01-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Full Hysterectomy coming up- what do I tell my 6 year old

Hi, I'm 35 and due to have a full hysterectomy on 11th feb as preventative measures for cancer (boarderline cancerous cyst which was removed at 19 weeks gestation with my first child) I now have 2 children aged 6 and 2. My 6 year old was 6 at Christmas and knows I'm going to hospital, how do I explain to him what I'm having done. He's a very emotional child who doesn't take kindly to change so I'm worried about how he'll be whilst I'm in hospital and also to me not being around. I run a small company with my husband so it's going to be a strain all round with work and childcare. At the moment I'm more anxious about how my son will be rather than my surgery. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks ☺️
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Re: Full Hysterectomy coming up- what do I tell my 6 year old

I explained to my 8 and 6 year old that I was having a hysterectomy. They asked what that was so I told them. They asked what a uterus was so I told them. Basically I laid it all out for them matter of fact and answered their questions. I found it a great natural teaching moment about female anatomy and my health. It depends on their temperament though. My two sons are very inquisitive and love science so it was interesting to them to know what is going on with me. They have been very helpful and caring post surgery too. I am all for being up front and letting this be a time for our kids to learn compassion and care taking too.
Unread 01-05-2015, 07:48 AM

Thank you, he might quite like the scientific aspect... I'll try that 😆
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2015, 10:24 AM

sorry to hear about your situation. I have a 3 and 7 year old and I explained a few weeks prior to surgery, that I will have a surgery inside my tummy (I had A TVH and rectocele repair, so there was no visible wounds) I explained that mommy will be very tired and need to sleep alot. Also that they would have to be very careful with mommy's tummy. Even though I told them what to expect, my youngest wanted to be picked up and needed alot of reminders about mommy's sore tummy. My advice is for the first 2 weeks or so get help. An extra pair of hands to temporarily do your duties and don't feel guilty about it. You need to heal. If you can maybe someone can take them for sleepovers . Luckily my huband was able to take 2 weeks off work.
Good luck
Unread 01-06-2015, 02:18 AM

Thank you champagne j, I appreciate your reply. I spoke with him this morning as he got upset so I told him honestly about it and said I'd show him some photos after school. He still got upset but I guess the more I talk about it the more he will accept it (fingers crossed anyway) x
Unread 01-06-2015, 07:55 AM

Oh no, well I hope all goes well good luck and get alot of help if you can.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Khwaddy1 View Post
Thank you champagne j, I appreciate your reply. I spoke with him this morning as he got upset so I told him honestly about it and said I'd show him some photos after school. He still got upset but I guess the more I talk about it the more he will accept it (fingers crossed anyway) x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register