Ovary failure chances? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovary failure chances? Ovary failure chances?

Unread 05-03-2015, 06:39 AM
Ovary failure chances?

I am not able to put this in the Post Hysterectomy section but my question is for people who kept their ovaries:What are the chances of someone who is nowhere near menopause to have ovary failure OR premature menopause?
This is the only thing that's stopping me from having the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Re: Ovary failure chances?

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/art...m#.VUZYG2pMVxu Here is one article about ovariy function post op. For myself, I was already menopausal, then had my ovaries removed soon after as well, so I can't contribute my experience. It's not possible to know the outcome for your situation in advance, but that's true for all aspects of the experience. At some point it's a matter of weighing benefits and reasons for, against possible issues that may or may not occur. I know it's a difficult choice and you have had much advice, I hope you can find the info you need to help you.
Unread 05-03-2015, 03:55 PM

I had my uterus, cervix and one fallopian tube removed when I was 43. I retained my ovaries. I was not menopausal at the time of surgery. I am now 3 1/2 years post op (47 years old), and my hormone levels are normal (I had them checked last week). When I was pre-op I asked my GYN if I would experience menopause sooner because of my hysterectomy. He shrugged and said maybe a year or so sooner than I would have. I have not researched this fact, so I don't know if this is correct. I suggest looking online for articles that have studied this statistic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2015, 10:57 AM

Thank you, I just read the article. How long should I wait after hysterectomy to have an ultrasound of the ovaries though?
I am nowhere near the menopausal age (mid 20s) and when I got an answer of the surgeon telling me that it's 0.01% chance but that's not what I saw online.
Unread 05-05-2015, 08:07 AM

Better yet, is there any test that I can how done before hysterectomy to know if I have an ovarian artery and just a uterine artery? That will at least put me at ease.
Unread 05-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Ovary failure chances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra View Post
How long should I wait after hysterectomy to have an ultrasound of the ovaries though?
Ultrasounds are not routinely done after hysterectomy. Doctors generally only order them if the patient is having pain or other issues.

Quote:
Better yet, is there any test that I can how done before hysterectomy to know if I have an ovarian artery and just a uterine artery? That will at least put me at ease.
We all have ovarian and uterine arteries. How the ovaries receive their blood supply can vary from one woman to the next. Its my understanding that most ovaries receive most of their blood from the uterine artery. You could ask your doctor if their is any way to tell before surgery where your ovaries blood supply comes from. My ovaries were "sleepy" post op, but I felt my hormones level out at about 6 weeks.

There are no guarantees with this surgery. At some point it becomes a leap of faith and we must accept some risks. This is why hysterectomy is a last resort.

Unread 05-05-2015, 10:20 AM

Thanks for making it clearer. I'll ask him about if there can be any test to determine where the supply comes from. I personally don't want this surgery but it's either taking contraceptives until menopause or this..
Unread 05-05-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks for making it clearer. I'll ask him about if there can be any test to determine where the supply comes from. I personally don't want this surgery but it's either taking contraceptives until menopause or this..

I would prefer taking contraceptives for 30 years rather than a hysterectomy in a heartbeat. I felt fine on the Pill other than some hormonal headaches. My hysterectomy has taken my life away.

But that is me, we are all different and need to make the choice that is best for us.
Unread 05-05-2015, 11:28 AM

See I'm in the opposite camp. I was on the pill for 15 years without 1 break. I had zero sex drive, I had no emotions the pill kept me very flat. I had a hair trigger temper. After surgery,I still have my ovaries, I became a new person. My ovaries woke up, my sex drive went through the roof, I feel emotions again, I laugh now. My husband could not believe the transformation and it was all due to being on the pill. So for me surgery was a God send.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register