Question about Cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about Cervix Question about Cervix

Unread 12-15-2010, 08:02 AM
Question about Cervix

Hiya everyone!! I was just wondering if I could get some help on this question. I have been doing TONS of reading about keeping my cervix or not....and if you keep your cervix, but not your ovaries, and go on HRT, is there the issue of mini periods? I sure hope someone can answer this one! *Hugs* to you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Re: Question about Cervix

No one asked me and I so regret having my cervix removed.
No one told me about any decrease in orgasmic experience.

Had I known then what I had now I would have had a more complex surgery and kept both uterus and cervix.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Unread 12-15-2010, 10:14 AM

I thought that the mini-periods associated with keeping your cervix is from endometriosis and the bleeding associated with it.

As for the sexual experience - if you are having a TVH and remove the cervix they do tighen the muscles as well that brings your vagina back together to be tighter. Maybe it depends on the skill of your surgeon. Sorry about your O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2010, 02:34 PM

From the info I have read ...if you keep your cervix AND your ovaries, you will possibly have "mini" periods. If you do NOT keep your ovaries, but keep your cervix, you will not have this issue. Has anyone had everything removed but kept their cervix? Also, could you please let me know your experience? Thank you all so much.
Unread 12-15-2010, 03:47 PM

I can't speak from experience, because my surgery is tomorrow, but this is what my doctor told me:

Sometimes, cells from the uterine wall grow on the cervix. This is what will cause the "mini periods" after surgery if you keep your cervix. These cells can be "killed" through cauterization.

My surgeon is expecting these cells to be present on the cervix and will attempt to cauterize them during my surgery tomorrow. If I should have a mini period later on, I'm to call her, and it can be taken care of in the office.

I've read up a lot on this too. And from talking to other women, I would definitely advise keeping your cervix if you can.

Good luck to you!!
Unread 12-15-2010, 04:15 PM

Mini periods can occur in women who keep their cervix and their ovaries. Since the cervix is not a separate organ (it is the lower portion of the uterus) there is no exact line to cut when removing the uterus. Uterine tissue is left on the cervix and as the ovaries continue to cycle, bleeding can occur from the uterine tissue on the cervix. Most doctors will cauterize the remaining cervix in an attempt to prevent mini periods. It works for most women, but for some, they still get mini periods.

You've asked a great question about HRT and keeping the cervix! I hope everything works out well for you!

Deb
Unread 12-15-2010, 04:58 PM

Good luck with your surgery COgal!! God bless you. I will be praying for your recovery!! *Hugs*

Thank you all for your kind and wonderful responses. I am still so very scared and worried about my surgery. *sigh* I am trying to enjoy the holiday...but I cannot due to my nerves. *Hugs* to all!
Unread 12-15-2010, 06:27 PM

The absolute, number-one reason for keeping or removing the cervix is your diagnosis. I had my uterus, including cervix, tubes, ovaries, and lymph nodes removed because I had cancer. There is no chance of leaving cancer hiding in the cervix, ovary, etc. if they go, too. Talk to your doctor about future risks and benefits in your individual case, his/her recommendations, and make the decision together based your individual diagnosis, needs, and wants.

God's blessings and good luck!
Unread 12-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Question about Cervix

My muscles have relaxed quite a bit and prolapse is becoming an issue so with everything else going on it's easier to remove it too.

Personally, I'd rather be done with the whole thing and have it removed as to not have to go through it all again. As for sexual pleasure? She who seeks it will find it one way or another.
Unread 12-15-2010, 08:43 PM

Are your periods as heavy??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register