When are you able to eat solid foods? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When are you able to eat solid foods? When are you able to eat solid foods?

Unread 02-09-2005, 02:20 PM
When are you able to eat solid foods?

I plan on eating very light the day before surgery--but am concerned that I will not be able to eat for a couple of days---does anyone know when you can eat real food after having a LSH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2005, 02:28 PM

I had LSH done last Wednesday. I was on a liquid diet all day the day before. Each doctor is different on this. I ate solid food the next morning. I might have been able to eat the evening of surgery, but I was sick. They had given me every anti-nausea medicine they had, but I still got sick. So, I was stuck with ice chips after surgery. But I got the good breakfast the next morning. Hospital food had never tasted so good.

Good luck on your Castle visit!

Tink
Unread 02-09-2005, 03:10 PM

Hi,
When I was in my room I got a chocolate milkshake, which really helped my throat feel better. After sleeping for a little while, I asked the nurse what she'd recommend for me to eat. She said, something not too heavy, suggested chicken soup, toast, and oatmeal. I ordered chicken noodle soup, wheat toast, a strawberry italian ice and another milkshake. Everything was so good, and probably the right combo as I did not feel or get sick afterwards.

I drank water the whole time in my room. The next morning, I had french toast and sausage for breakfast since my dr. came by and told me I could have anything I wanted. I got another milkshake after breakfast and then I was discharged.

I would encourage you to not drink any carbonated beverages. I still have a hard time doing that at 5 weeks post-op! (I get major swelly belly and gas)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2005, 03:11 PM

the day of the surgery food is the last thing on your mind.. lol..

They keep listening to your tummy to see if your bowels are waking up.. I got clear fluids and jello... and once I 'passed gas' I got some solids... I think the day I was released I had my solids for the first time.

I wasnt even hungry... and like tink said.. every Dr. is different.

Unread 02-09-2005, 04:59 PM

Like everyone says, it depends on the person and the procedures at your particular hospital.

I was allowed a liquid diet the morning after surgery - my surgery was 11 AM on Thursday, I had breakfast of jello, broth and juice at 8:30 the next morning. By 10 AM they said I could have anything I wanted to so I had some nut clusters (the all sugar meal was causing my blood sugar to crash).

I advise small sips and small meals at first - try not to eat anything too fatty or heavy. When I got home I stuck to a rather high fiber diet with hot all grain cereal in the morning, fruit smoothies and salads and then a regular protien rich dinner in the evening. It might take a while for your appetite to return (stuff didn't taste good to me for about 10 days). Just make sure you keep your fluid levels up.

Take care.
Unread 02-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Re: When are you able to eat solid foods?

I had LSH/BSO at midday on 7th Feb and was eating sandwiches at 6pm. In the UK we don't have to have a light diet the day before so I had eaten last (steak and trimmings) at 8pm the night before.
No problem for me

Good Luck
Sharon in England
Unread 02-23-2005, 05:31 AM

After my lsh, I ended up staying overnight (not the plan) for 'observation' due to low bp. The dr. ordered me the regular diet so I had turkey/dressing for dinner. I was STARVED. I never had any problems with gas or bms.
Unread 02-23-2005, 05:36 AM

Hi I had my surgery a week ago and was eating the next day My doctor gave instructions that I had to eat before the IV came out so i was keen to drink heaps of water to get rid of the catheter and eat to get rid of IV. I would be surprised if you had to wait a couple of days. good luck with your surgery.
Unread 02-23-2005, 08:59 AM

I had my surgery at 7:30 am on a Wednesday, Wednesday lunch was clear liquids and Wednesday dinner was clear liquids.

My first solid food was at breakfast Thursday, French Toast with a cup of grapes and a cup of peaches, omigosh it was so good.

Then at lunch I had pasta with marinara sauce and some vegetables. It was also excellent.

I could not believe how good the food was! I can't remember the name of it (At Your Service, maybe) but the hospital had some kind of program where they had a menu in your room, and you could pick up the phone and order a meal, at any time you were ready, rather than having it served at a certain time, with no choice as to what it was.

Good luck to you,

--QB

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register