I feel so calm | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I feel so calm I feel so calm

Unread 01-28-2004, 07:11 PM
I feel so calm

My adominable hyst is scheduled for Feb. 3rd. I`m 51, and have a LARGE fibroid tumor. Will have ovaries and cervix taken as well. My biggest fear was losing my sexual desire, but I have (greatfully) read enuf posts here to feel that there is good sex to be had after hysterectomy. At first I was so scared and anxious and confused. I felt the information from this board was almost overwhelming...and I was really upset by the horror stories. I live in a rural, high desert area in Central Oregon. Our hospital is only minutes away and is filled with professional, compassionate staff. I have spoken to exactly 6 gals here locally who have had hysterectomies...and all were very happy with the outcome. At this moment, I feel calm and secure in my decision. I wish that peace for all who are stuggling with this decision. My thought is that we are all much stronger than we think, and we will all be ok. I plan to take a C.D. player (with earphones) to the hospital and listen to the new C.D I just bought on e-bay...Sarah Brightman, Opera Classics...it is sooooo beautiful! When I get home, I will watch my favorite movie of all time, "Murphy`s Romance" with James Garner and Sally Fields...always makes me feel GOOD. All the best to all of you...I know it seems monumental...but this too shall pass. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2004, 09:07 PM
I feel so calm

I only hope that I can be as calm as you seem to be, just days before your surgery. Your post has helped me calm down a little. I know I am going to be a wreck when the time comes. (February 18th) How did you get to such a calm and secure place?
Unread 01-28-2004, 09:25 PM
I feel so calm

Hi Highdesertdiva! I also wish I were as serene as you seem to be. But maybe it's because you live in such a wonderful place! I do too, actually (Southeast Alaska) but when DH and I retire we are planning to move down to where you are. We love the Steens Mountain area. It is lucky that more people don't know how beautiful it is there! But relatives in KFalls talk about how the CA border is moving north!

DH and I were also talking last night about our fears. He is afraid that complications from surgery will affect my recovery. I am afraid about sex being different. He said that is the least of our worries and I want to trust him and believe what he says. But I am so anxious that our marriage will suffer. I don't know how it could be worse, though, with my mood swings and monthly flooding.

I am also going to take your advice and gather up my favorite CDs and take a player to the castle. I am a classical musician but maybe will bring some different kinds of music too. Thanks Diva for your strength.
Julia in Alaska
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2004, 09:29 PM
I feel so calm

I guess I just came to realize that this whole hysterectomy thing is just a moment in time. Our lives are filled with many struggles....and many triumphs. Some have expressed that they feel a "loss of control" over the situation....but actually, we are blessed in this day and age with MUCH control when it comes to making informed decisions about our bodies. We have access to so much information, we have the right to ask questions, and we should never consider ourselves as passive when it comes to our mental and physical well being. I am lucky to have a supportive husband who is willing and able to shift the load to his shoulders for as long as I need his help. Also, I have been made aware of how common this surgery is and how many have been performed successfully at my hospital. Also, when I return home, I have my wonderful, faithful dogs waiting to lay by my side as I heal. "Patch", my loving and faithfull Border Collie/ Aussie mix that I adopted from the local animal shelter 5 years ago and "Sparky", my quirky little Pomeranian that I adopted as a rescue dog. They will be my constant companions...lucky me. I will be just fine...and so will each and every one of you. Because we are women....we are strong.
Unread 01-28-2004, 10:00 PM
I feel so calm

Hey Julia! Already I know that you are a fortunate lady, because you are able to express your fears about this surgery with your DH. He says he is afraid for you and that is a natural reaction when you care for someone. You, like me, worry about the effect this surgery might have on your sex life. What effect did your mood swings and "flooding" have on your sex life? Could`nt have been good...lol! Your DH, like mine, asks you not to worry. My suggestion to you is....this is a time for trust.
Now, hush up about Central Oregon! We want to keep it a secret as long as possible!When I do dishes at my kitchen sink, the entire Cascade Mountain Range looms from the desert floor...in my back yard. I have to tell you, me and DH have always wanted to travel to Alaska...so many places there are just as stunning as anywhere in the world. Best of luck to you....you will be just fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register