Vagina too small for TVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vagina too small for TVH? Vagina too small for TVH?

Unread 06-22-2004, 06:40 PM
Vagina too small for TVH?

Has anyone been told that they cannot have a TVH because their vaginal canal is too small? I have done some reading about this and apparently, not everyone is a candidate, especially if they have not had children to "pave the way".

I am scheduled for TAH on July 7, but will ask my surgeon about the TVH. I have decided to "lose" the cervix after educating myself.

Just wondering if anyone has an experience to share who has never had children and if the TVH was a feasible option for them.

I am trying to prepare myself in any way possible. I am so afraid of making the wrong decision. I also hope that I have "room" for the procedure.
Thanks.

Jackie

Unread 06-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Hi!

I had a LAVH and have never had children. My uterus was also enlarged and my Dr. was still able to do it.
Unread 06-22-2004, 06:50 PM

I had multple full term (over 9 lb) births, and was scheduled for a TVH - when the doc got in there, he found that I didn't have enough pelvic relaxation to have it and I ended up with a TAH.

So, I don't know that "size" matters so much as whether or not your ligaments are tight or loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2004, 08:10 PM

You might want to check out the possibility of having a completely laparoscopic hysterectomy. In this procedure the uterus (and in my case ovaries and cervix as well) are shredded and removed thru small incisions in the abdomen. It's less invasive than either an abdominal or a vaginal hyst. The deciding factor more often than not unfortunately is the surgeon's experience with this procedure and the hospital's willingness to invest in the equipment. Because the tissue is shredded, the size of the uterus isn't a deciding factor in this surgery.
I was fortunate enough to have my regular gynecologist suggest this procedure. Until then I didn't even know there was such a procedure. I would encourage any woman facing hysterectomy to research this possibility. I know for me, knowing what I know now, if I were facing the decision again...I would search until I found a doctor who was experienced in this procedure. I am exactly 2 weeks post op and was able to return to my job (very light duty) today
I wish you all the best in whatever decision you make.
Unread 06-22-2004, 08:21 PM

Vickie,

When they do a total laproscopic hysterectomy can they still run pathology on the organs? If they're shredded it wouldn't seem like they would be able to?

I'm just curious, it sounds like the way to go for women who have the option! I was out of work for 2 months after my surgery.

Mary Ellen
Unread 06-22-2004, 09:17 PM

Hi Mare..
Yes... I was told the entire "mess" gets sent to pathology. I can't say enough good about this procedure.
Unread 06-22-2004, 09:43 PM

Wow, this procedure seems like the way to go if you have and know a skilled surgeon!! I had a TAH and was told that it would be better than a TVH, even though I have had children I have had issues about the size and condition of my uterus for a TVH. I am from Canada so things might be different. My dr. prefers the TAH as he felt that he goes in and does what needs to be done, he specializes in lap surgery too so I trusted him and have had very few complications. I think he was also right when he mentioned that the bikini incision with 18 staples was a good reminder of the many many internal stitches that are inside of me. Whether you have one or the other, know that you will feel better after you have healed and to just plan for the TAH just in case, that way you are safe and will have been prepared. Any type of surgery is not fun, even going to the dentist is stressful for many so be kind to yourself and this website is so wonderful for finding out many things about any type of hysterectomy. Good luck to you and don't be afraid to ask the dr questions
Unread 06-22-2004, 09:56 PM

Jackie,

I have had 2 children, but was told that I have a small uterus, so I am able to have a TVH. I've never had a fibroid....
Unread 06-22-2004, 11:09 PM
too small??

I had also read that vaginal approach was not possible if you had not delivered children. I am scheduled for LAVH despite having my daughters by c-section. My dr said that from what he saw in a laparoscopy last week, there is 80 percent chance that he can do it vaginally. My husband is taking time off in case it becomes an abdominal surgery.

Hope all goes well whichever approach you and your dr choose!

Judy
Unread 06-23-2004, 12:56 AM

I had two c-sections because I didn't have enough stretch or my birth canal was too small. (I was told as my first was being pulled out, "Honey, you aren't ever having a baby that other way.") And I've always felt I was a bit tight down there. Went into the hyst not knowing if I was gonna wake up with a TVH or TAH. They did a tvh, no problems.

And I was scared I was gonna wake up sore from instrumentation of my down theres but that wasn't the case. No problems at all.

Vaginal is THE way to go if they can do it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register