yet another cervix question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

yet another cervix question yet another cervix question

Unread 03-04-2005, 01:51 PM
yet another cervix question

I've read on other threads that keeping your cervix may result in a mini-period unless the doc cauterizes it. My question is, if you've had a history of pain (dysmenorrea -type) does keeping the cervix mean that you'll have some pain with the mini-period?

I'd hate to go through an abd. hyst keeping my cervix (and ovaries too), then turn around and continue to have pain originating from the cervix at the time in my cycle when a period would have occurred.

Has anyone read or had experience with this one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2005, 04:54 PM

I asked my Dr. today about my cervix since I was reading all these posts. He looked odd at me and said, yes I take your cervix - it's attached to your uterus. I just so - oh, okay. I guess I don't know my body that well Why do some get to keep theirs and others don't?
Unread 03-04-2005, 06:33 PM

Hi Mmarg and Scardyme,

I had a LSH and I kept my cervix.

Scardyme - my Dr. said that the cervix helps with future pelvic support after surgery and the cervix can also help with sex. There are differing opinions on keeping the cervix and in my case I am glad I kept it.

To be a candidate, I had to have normal pap smears for years and I had to have a sturdy cervix. I had my cervix cauterized during surgery so that has prevented me from having a mini-period. A small percentage of ladies who cauterize the cervix still have a mini-period in post-op.

Mmarg - I could suggest you talk to your Dr. further or even get a 2nd opinion on your cervix. I got two opinions and I was very glad I did. Helped me have more information to work with.

Best wishes you two,

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2005, 04:11 PM

The doctor took my cervix and told me in my case a lot of my problems were caused by my cervix.

One reason the Novasure Ablation failed was that my cervix was open so big from my bleeding they couldn't get it to seal. She held up her index finger and thumb in a circle to show me how open it was. The other reason it failed was my uterus was too big. In my case it was a no-brainer, I wasn't going through all this to still have periods and troubles, I was doing this to get rid of the problems that were making me anemic, hurt and my life miserable.

In a side note a few years ago when I was having my pap done by a new doctor I about fell off the table when out of his mouth came "you've got a very long vagina" and he had trouble reaching my cervix to do that pap. That was the first time I'd ever been told that so I figure shortening it a bit with the vaginal cuff won't cause any problems for me and DH. I'll let you know in a few weeks
Unread 03-06-2005, 03:56 PM

Dianne I seem to have the opposite problem as you..doc says my cervix is sort of stuck shut from never having been fully dialated. I had 3 planned c sections due to a bleeding disorder. They are taking my cervix also..along with everything else.
Unread 03-07-2005, 03:55 PM

NancyErin,
What type of bleeding disorder do you have, if you don't mind me asking? My son's hematologist thinks I have von Willebrands, like my son. I've been tested several times, and come back low/normal. They will be treating me as if I have vW during surgery... but I have reservations about that.
lisandboo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register