Diet/bowel prep question? HELP Please! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Diet/bowel prep question?  HELP Please! Diet/bowel prep question? HELP Please!

Unread 05-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Diet/bowel prep question? HELP Please!

I am having my surgery Wednesday. I don't think my GYN normally has his patients do much more than an enema for bowel prep. However, he wants me to do Miralax as well as an enema. I asked him about diet for Tuesday and he was very vague...just said to eat lightly and not a lot that would accumulate. Sorry... I asked what to mix the Miralax in, he said water maybe, but said he hasn't used that a lot. His nurse said she has never seen him do that extensive a bowel prep...I think he's suspecting adhesions from my ovary removal twenty years ago. Soooo what should I do for diet tomorrow? Should I just eat lightly, do liquids? I'm confused! DH thought maybe a large breakfast, small lunch and soup or salad for dinner? I dunno! As if I didn't ahve enough stress in my life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2007, 08:31 AM

Hi Diverchick, I have to have a clear liquid diet. I bought chicken broth, apple juice, and popsicles (all allowed as per the hand-out I got) and I can have coffee as long as it is black. No cream/milk, no citrus, and no solid foods.
Unread 05-21-2007, 10:30 AM

I was on a clear liquid diet starting after a light lunch. Like PP, no dairy was allowed. I just basically drank water though, b/c I had to do a bowel prep and it made me horribly sick (vomiting) and I couldn't stomach anything other than water.
IMO, I wouldn't eat a heavy breakfast. I'd just eat light all day!! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2007, 11:13 AM

???? My doctor said to just no eat anything after midnight. And only a small sip of water in the AM for any meds.
Unread 05-21-2007, 12:25 PM

Diver, trust me on this one -- LESS is MORE! Your bowels will thank you afterwards!
Unread 05-21-2007, 12:35 PM

I could eat anything I wanted up until noon the day b/f surgery. So, I had a big lunch at 11:30, then clear liquids after, and nothing after midnight. They told me the clear liquids was so not much would accumulate--I'd go that route.
Unread 05-21-2007, 01:54 PM

How much miralax does he want you to do and how many times. Miralax is a laxative and can according to how it is used be used as a bowel cleanse. My sister who is a nurse practitioner knows of some doctors who even have a formula to use it as a bowel prep for a colonoscopy - thats some pretty heavy miralax. I use miralax from time to time because I have to use meds for cancer treatment that can constipate me - sometimes it works overnight and sometimes it takes a day or two all according to your system and how regular you are to begin with. I mix mine in with my morning tea. Lynn
Unread 05-21-2007, 02:05 PM

My surgery is scheduled for 9:30 on the 31st of May. Dr. said do an enema (joy!) at 7pm night before and I can eat anything up until the point of surgery...now what is the point of an enema??????????? Hmmmmm!???

Julie
Unread 05-21-2007, 05:35 PM

I had my pre op today. I am to have a liquid diet all day tomorrow, and then at three pm take the Fleet Phos Pho....then at 7 pm take the second one. I am like the others, no solid food, no dairy, no red, purple or orange colored drinks or jello. I wonder why? Anyway, tomorrow will be horrible for me. I hate bad breath! LOL! I am just glad I don't have to have an enema! That is too gross for me!
Unread 05-22-2007, 07:49 AM

Thanks everyone! Well to add to the confusion, I went to get the prescription filled. The pharmacist asked me what I was using this for. I explained it was for a bowel prep. He said as the directions were written it would take days to work! Sooo he tried to call my GYN, but no answer, so he gave me the bottle, but said he would call me today with an answer! I've heard the same about red colors, but I have popsicles, jello (strawberry and orange) and gatorade, some of which has a blue coloring. Maybe things will look patriotic? LOL!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register