Equestrians? Thoughts on what we can do post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Equestrians?  Thoughts on what we can do post op? Equestrians? Thoughts on what we can do post op?

Unread 10-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Equestrians? Thoughts on what we can do post op?

Hey - I am a horse person - and wondered if after a DaVinci surgery if I will be able to move horses - and handle them - without riding - just to move them from one pasture to another. I don't think I can clean stalls, but think I could feed them in their stalls and move them as needed.

Probably going to do it - anyway - my husband can feed - but he goes to work so early - it is too early to let them out. I know - horses adapt - but I am overly protective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Re: Equestrians? Thoughts on what we can do post op?

I love horses unfortunately I'm also severely allergic to them. Boooo!

Anyway what I wanted to share was my experience today. I had my LAVH on Tuesday at noon. Today I decided to go to a Halloween parade. I was driven there and home, only a 5 minute ride and took a walker with me to sit on for the half hour we were there. When I got home I laid down and napped for 2 hours, I was so tired. I got up to use the washroom where I discovered I'd started bleeding. So even though today didn't seem like a big deal to me my body apparently thought it was too much.

It will probably be a couple weeks or more before you will be up to even doing what seemed like no real work at all before.

Good luck and a speedy recovery!
Unread 10-29-2011, 08:13 AM

We have 3 horses, my DH does most all the work to take care of them. He went back to work after 2 weeks of staying home with me. All I could do was fill the water buckets, left the hose out so I wouldn't have to drag it. I was able to turn them out, they were very well behaved , like they knew I was recovering. About 4 weeks started mucking stalls but left full muck cart for DH to finnish. Also could brush the horses and give them cookies, just didn't lift anything heavy. Didn't ride until 8 weeks post op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2011, 09:16 AM

Bingokitten - that does seem like you didn't "do" all that much - to start bleeding again - Thanks for your input.

Astrid- I figured I would be able to do little stuff - I am going to leave it to my DH to clean the stalls lol. I don't do much riding in the winter - so, it works to have the surgery in the winter. We only have six horses- and they all know what to do after feeding - I do have a heavy door - so I might have to figure out another way to get one of the horses outside- Each stall has an exit to a paddock - then we have a bigger pasture out back, where they normally go - but maybe a couple of them will have to be in the paddock for a couple of weeks. Still good to know that you were able to do something.
Unread 10-29-2011, 09:28 AM

Arabrider -

I have 2 Tennesse Walkers and they are easy to turn out, basically they walk across on their own and don't have to be led. I had to lead them and worry about jerking or pulling I would have wanted none of that for several weeks.

Even with the daVinci you have had major surgery. The problem is that the small incisions make you think it was no big deal. It is also a very individual recovery based on what all was removed and how your body reacts. I asked my Dr. about 2 to 4 weeks back to work and he said "let's say 6 and maybe 8" whereas most Drs go with the marketing information and say 2 weeks and it will be like you didn't have surgery. Some do and some don't go that route.

I hope my opinion helps.

Unread 10-29-2011, 09:57 AM

Yes- Thank you - My horses are easy too - so hopefully I can manage. Going to have my husband feed - and all I have to do is let them out.

True about the DaVinci - I just feel like it will be no big deal. Probably because the incisions will be so small. I might end up letting go of that vision - once it really happens.
Unread 10-29-2011, 11:55 AM

I had DVH 11 days ago and I would be very scared of a jerk on the lead or or even a spook pulling me. Horses even the best can be spooked and jerk the lead.
Just be ever so careful..... At 11 days I would not want to start over with internal bleeding....
good luck...
Unread 10-29-2011, 07:00 PM

Well - I don't even have close to the best horses- so, yeah - they would jerk me - I was hoping that all I had to do is open doors and wait for them to walk out.

Just had the farrier out - so that will be done for a couple of months - they can be a challenge - have a six month old that was quite the challenge. Gave my farrier extra money for all the extra time he spent. Got the job done though - And she got a lesson on standing still.

Ok - maybe I won't just head to the barn for my fix - at least not right away. We are fortunate to have heated automatic waterers - so, unless something goes wrong - they should be ok that way.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register