Tell me honestly...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tell me honestly...... Tell me honestly......

Unread 05-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Tell me honestly......

It's been atleast a couple weeks since I posted last. I have been so busy! I feel like I am a medical mess right now.....way to many things wrong with me. I just went on BCP's to help with my cyclical pain. My gyn said that if it didn't help after a few months that we would talk about taking my ovaries out, but he told me that I don't want to do that......He's right. I don't want to do that, but I also don't want to live in pain! I just want to know how some of you feel after having your ovaries removed. How are you doing with HRT? I had such a horrible experience with Lupron. I had side effects that ranged from hot flashes to tachycardia to facial hair growth! It makes me scared that I might experience some of those same side effects if I have my ovaries removed. I know this is something that only I can decide on with my doctor, but I'm looking for experiences to maybe help guide me in my decision.

Another question....if the pill does help me, is it realistic to think that I will be able to stay on it for the next 20 years until I hit natural menopause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2003, 11:02 PM
Tell me honestly......

((((((Pasdechat))))))

I think you will get a wide range of answers on this one. I had no choice but to have my ovaries out at the time of my hyst. I was only 36 & would have done anything to keep them. They play such an important part to your body. But HRT can be fine if you can find the right dose for YOU. I have been fine with the Vivelle dot i mg. (so far anyway).
You might want to post this question over on the "Hormone jungle" message board. I'm hoping that soon you will find your way to better health & get off this long, weary road that we travel ! Take care 's

Susan
Unread 05-03-2003, 11:16 PM
Tell me honestly......

Hi (((Pasdechat))) are you feeling any better yet on the bcp's?

I had my ovaries removed with my hyst. I never had what I would call really awful, unbearable symptoms but I did spend a long time 'tweaking' before arriving at my current HRT's. I can't say that I feel 100% all the time, but OTOH, I feel a lot better on my worst days now than before my hyst when I was in the 'bad' part of my cycle.

HRT's are generally much lower doses than bcp's, and you have the option of using bio-identical hormones (the same thing your ovaries make) rather than the synthetics that the bcp's use, so the potential for side effects is less than with bcp's. I think your success level with HRT's depends partly on your willingness to accept the idea that you have to learn what your body needs and how to meet those needs, and that may require some experimentation and adjustment, even after you've been 'balanced' for a while.

I hope you don't have to have your ovaries removed. However, if you do, I think you can find a combination of HRT's that will work for you, it just might not be the first thing you try. If you do go that route, I hope you'll come to the for support!
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2003, 06:46 AM
Tell me honestly......

Hi,

My gyn could not see my ovaries on a sonagram so he asked if he got in there & they looked good if he should leave them. I told him they were not good & give me a lot of pain. Take them. I had cysts on both ovaries & the left burst on removal which has caused me a lot of other problems. At 45 dr said my ovaries had not worked for some time which is maybe why I don't have a lot of problems with night sweats & hot flashes as I did pre hyst. I do have a Climara Patch .075. I know everyone reacts differently but personally I wanted those darn things out of my body!

Good Luck with whatever you choose!
Terry
Unread 05-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Tell me honestly......

I still have one ovary and am sort of in the same boat as you on do we remove it or leave it. I will be interested to see the responses you get on that.

As far as the bc pill goes....how long have you been on it? have you noticed any changes yet? I have been taking it for about 4 months now. My gyn acted like it would be okay to use it long term if it helped. I noticed a difference within the first 3 weeks of taking it. However, I am being switched to one with less estrogen in it (Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo) because the gyn thinks my endo may be returning. I can't remember if you had/have endo or not, but since estrogen feeds endo that might be an issue for you. Good luck!
Unread 05-04-2003, 09:39 AM
Tell me honestly......

Thanks ladies

A couple of you asked how the BCP's are working for me. Well, I started the pills at the very end of my bad week in my cycle. Within only a few days after I started the pills, all my symptoms came right back(Like 2 weeks earlier than they normally would have). My face broke out and I had that horrible ovarian pain. I am now at the time where I would normally be in horrible pain, but I'm not.....I had it 2 weeks early instead. My face is still breaking out though. So right now I can't give a definate answer on how the BCP's are working. I think I should have a pretty good idea when I go through my next packet of pills. And yes, I did/do have endo. Part of me just wants to have my ovaries taken out because I don't want to be on pills and I don't want to deal with pain anymore.......but, if I have my ovaries taken out, then I have to go on HRT. You know, the big number one thing I was looking forward to after my hysterectomy was getting my own hormones back(with no pain). It is looking like I will never have my own hormones.....it's either BCP's or HRT......

Thanks again for your responses. Maybe I'll be able to hang in there a few years with my ovaries. I'm 31 now, so maybe if I can just get into my upper 30's. But then, maybe not. I didn't ask for this!!!!!!! I wish there was an easy answer!
Unread 05-04-2003, 09:56 AM
The lesser of several evils.....

It seems like some of us have to make a choice between the lesser of the evils. BCPs help the ovaries and the cyst thing, but yet they contain estrogen and that can feed endo. If we have the ovaries out then we have to deal with the menopause symptoms. Does it ever end???

I saw that you had already done Lupron and had bad side effects so, I know you don't want to chose that option again. That was the next step my gyn suggested before removing the ovary. I will keep my fingers crossed that you notice a difference with your next package of pills and can at least hang on to your ovaries for a few more years.

s
Unread 05-04-2003, 10:57 AM
Tell me honestly......

vbjacks5, I don't know if you saw my post about 2 1/2 weeks ago about the letter I wrote to my gyn. He called me the very next day after I sent my letter. He did tell me that my options are pretty much BCP's, Lupron, or taking my ovaries out. We both agreed that Lupron is not the way to go for me because of how my body handled it last time(not very well!) and because it's only short term relief and we need to find something that is long term. I'm at a loss. It's kind of funny (not really), but after I posted earlier, I started noticing those sharp pains on my side. Maybe I spoke too soon......maybe I am going to be in pain. This is the time where I would expect to feel it and I am breaking out just like I do at this time. I was just lucky(not!) to get an extra week of pain when I started the BCP's!!!!!! UGH!
Unread 05-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Tell me honestly......

Hi again ladies

The endo-hrt thing is tough, and a lot has been written about it around here. Many DRs will insist that endo patients have their ovaries removed at the time of their hyst because the ovaries will continue to produce estrogen, which can encourage endo regrowth.

There's a new alternative now which you might want to investigate. Tibolone (aka Livial) has been used for years in Europe and is now available in the US... studies have shown that it does help with menopausal symptoms and bone health but doesn't encourage endo regrowth. Here's a link to a thread about it:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...light=tibolone

Also keep in mind that while many endo patients can't use systemic estrogen, often they will be able to use a vaginal estrogen like estring or vagifem which can help with the vaginal dryness which so often plagues ladies who try to go without HRT.

So this is another alternative you might be able to consider... ask your DRs!

-Linda
Unread 05-04-2003, 04:13 PM
Tell me honestly......

Hi pasdechat, sorry you are having so many problems.
I chose to have my ovaries out because I had such extreme pain on ovulation, and tremendous emotional swings. I have tried various kinds of HRT - 1mg pills, 2mg pills, and various doses of Femseven patches, then gel (which I found to be a nightmare to rub it all in), then about 5 weeks ago I had an implant and I'm feeling fine on it. I am finding I'm noticing changes in my body more these days than before, but somehow I think that's just my age! - like muscles needing to be exercised more than usual!
I wouldn't do anything differently with regard to surgery. Like Terry, I was v.happy to see them go. I hope you get enough input from other ladies to help you make a decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register