Three days and counting...please help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Three days and counting...please help Three days and counting...please help

Unread 05-04-2003, 08:23 AM
Three days and counting...please help

My surgery for removal of my uterus (leaving ovaries, cervix, hopefully finding adhesions causing bowel problems) is May 7. I'd be lying if I said I was totally looking forward to the surgery. It's a scary thing. I posted on a strand yesterday, and received a lot of support from "been theres, done thats" and I really appreciate all the kind words of encouragement. It's nice to know I'm not the only one in the universe going through this experience.
I've been off work since Dec. 9, since the bleeding, pain and bowel problems have not allowed me to live a normal working life. Thank goodness for long term disability payments! The doctor got the bleeding under control in January (using only prometrium taken at night), but the drug has caused me incredible morning nausea and other side effects. I'm also on ativan and another bowel cramping medication. Some days, it's so bad I'm living on crackers and water...I've lost 55 pounds since October, and I wouldn't recommend this diet plan to my worst enemy!
These past few months of waiting have been hard...I've prayed a lot, cried even more. Now that there's "light" at the end of the tunnel, I can only hope it's the daylight of getting better--and not the train coming to run me over!
I do have one question...after the surgery, will I bleed vaginally (or spot) for some time afterwards? I'm having abdominal surgery, and the preparation booklet the hospital gave me said I can look forward to bleeding "for four to six weeks" after surgery. This doesn't sound right to me...if they take my uterus, then where is this blood coming from?
God bless you all, hystersisters...I don't know what I'd do without your knowledge and kindnesses! :-)) Monica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2003, 08:31 AM

Monica,

I think the spotting thing varies widely. I only spotted until the day after my surgery, but some women spot much longer. I'm not sure how much difference having an abdominal hyst vs a vaginal hyst makes in this instance. I see you are also keeping your cervix and ovaries. You could experience "mini periods" during your cycle, although I've heard that if the doctor does a good enough job of cleaning tissue off the cervix this won't happen.
Unread 05-04-2003, 08:40 AM

Hi Monica

I like you had very heavy bleeding with so much pain, the last few months before my surgery seem to get much worse. Have you asked your DR why he wants to keep the cervix? Before my surgery I thought the only thing that was coming out was my uterus, but I heard that you can have mini periods with your cervix still intact. I ask my DR if that was true and he said with my history of heavy bleeding & blood clots he was taking my cervix also. I was so glad to hear that, I didn't want to take any chance of bleeding or spotting afterwards. I did spot off & on after my surgery for about 4 weeks or so. Ask your DR about this I'm sure he knows whats best for you. I have no more pain & no more spotting & I feel so much better, I wish all of that for you too.

Also I can tell no difference without my cervix or my uterus, and neither can DH.

Best wishes

rroettger1965
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2003, 09:22 AM

When you have a hysterectomy there needs to be something that closes off the vagina, with or without cervix, so you don't just have a gaping hole up there . The stitches that are used to do that will dissolve over time and there can be bleeding during the healing process.
Unread 05-04-2003, 10:03 AM

Misha007, May 7th is my day, too. I can't answer any of your questions since I'm still pre-op, too, but I will be thinking of you and say a little prayer for you on "our day". When you get nervous please come here and read the stories of women who have been through this. Most of them are doing very well and don't regret anything about the surgery. Have a great stay at the castle
Unread 05-04-2003, 04:09 PM

I was a big bleeder before my surgery and after. I saw bright red blood for 10 days post from a TAH. It was mostly when I went to the bathroom. The first few days the toilet water was always red when I went. I did wear pads for a month. My discharge went from red to pink to brown to clear over the month gradually diminishing to almost nothing. Even without a uterus or cervix I have a tiny amount of white discharge daily and I wonder where it comes from as I am 4 months post and imagine it's going to be this way now forever. I don't have to wear pads for it, so I'm okay with it being here. Just curious. Is there a gland in the vagina? I'll have to ask the DR next time I see her if I don't find out here. Probably is a good thing that it's not totally dry down there. Then I don't have to keep KY jelly on hand. Good luck with your castle visit.
Unread 05-04-2003, 05:44 PM

Hi Misha007,
My surgery is scheduled for May 7th also. It's good to know that we aren't alone. Hope all goes well with you.
Donna
Unread 05-04-2003, 06:27 PM

Bartholin (sp) are near the entrance to the vagina, there but I thought the secretions were more clear. ???

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register