Severed Nerve... Ouch Help!!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severed Nerve... Ouch Help!!! Severed Nerve... Ouch Help!!!

Unread 05-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Severed Nerve... Ouch Help!!!

Hi just a little input here,, my dh has severe nerve damage in his chest from open heart surgery, he complains of the sharp jabbing pain, then goes away, went to doc took xrays and they said we cant see anything wrong with your ribs heart etc, now he is looking for a thorcic doc, because was told by neurologist that that is thoracic pain and he cant do anything about it. oh well more docs. angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2003, 10:32 PM
HELLO GALS,

I WANT TO THANK YOU FIRST OF ALL,

TATTODOGS, WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I HAVE TRIED EVERY TYPE OF REMEDY TO HELP ME SLEEP. USUALLY WHEN I CANT SLEEP WHICH IS MOST OF THE TIME I JUST GET UP AND CLEAN OR READ OR SOMETHING TO KEEP MY MIND OCCUPIED. EVEN WITH THE SLEEP MED I DONT SLEEP. IT HAS BEEN LIKE THIS SINCE MY HYST. BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.

ANGIE THAT THE PAIN YOUR HUSBAND IS HAVING IS THE SAME EXACT PAIN THAT I GET IN MY LEG. ITS A STABBING BURNING PAIN AND ON TOP OF IT MY LEG HAS REALLY BAD SPASMS. MAYBE I NEED TO SEE A THORACIC DR. ALSO..

THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE.. HUGS AND PRAYERS NICKY
Unread 05-08-2003, 12:23 AM

You all have been so great with your input and being open about your issues!! I've been holding in so much for so long that this is hard for me to get used to ...THANKS!!!!

Kim, I started up with Chrons and ended up with kidney stones ....which led to the adhesions on my intestines. The Pelviscopy in 92 was the beginning of the worst problems of all. After the nerve was found to be severed, I started having the worst bouts of irritable bowel ... I thought I'd never stop having cramps and diarrhea. Then the bladder spasms came .... then it was like a never ending saga of illness and pain. Since my hysterectomy, my intestines have actually calmed down a bit, and my fingers are crossed. My bladder recently started to feel like it's in spasm again, and I'm scared. I take lots of cranberry pills every day and eat yogurt. My abdomen hurts like hell, but I think it's from the tummy tuck. I'm trying an abdominal support garment and hope it's not too late to get the muscles to hold the blob in. I did see my Psychiatrist yesterday ( he is also a Neurologist ) and we are going to talk about pain meds on my next visit. He was very concerned about the nerve damage and is willing to look at my records.. YIPPEE!!! I will ask him about Duragesic. I have taken most of the Neurological drugs for nerve pain and have had very severe reactions. When he saw my hands and the effects from Effexor and Lexipro, he was upset. Anyway, he did put me on a drug to help me sleep, and help with the panic attacks I get when the pain gets out of control. NICKY...you might want to ask your doctor about this too!! It's called Risperdal and is usually prescribed as an Anti Psychotic. It is also used for trauma ....nerve damage is trauma. I took my first one last night and slept like a baby. The dosage is very low, but he wants to try something to get me to sleep, without being groggy the next day. I just took my second one and feel fine.
I look forward to hearing from you Kim, and thank you for writing back!! Nicky .... I hope you do find something to help you sleep!! I do know what you're going through!! And the pain does get very sharp and burn. Sometimes, it feels like there is an electrical jolt. My numbness is so bad that I have even leaned up against barbed wire and it cut right through my thigh. I never felt the cut, but had a sensation of pressure. A friend noticed blood spurting out of me and almost fainted. Nerve damage is nothing to take lightly .... but we can live with it!! Stay strong!!

Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2003, 07:22 AM

I also have nerve pain in my lower back. It is from my sciatic nerve. I have found NOTHING yet to help that pain but you ladies have given me a list of things to look into for it when I go to the pain clinic next week.

I pray you all find relief from the nerve pain, I know how bad it can get. As far as taking multiple meds at night that make you drowsy, I take my pain meds, xanax and phenergan, yes I am totally wiped out but it only lasts for 4 hours tops and then I am awakened with the pain again. I ask everytime they give me something that can make you srowsey and they always tell me that the combination will only cause you to be more sleepy.

Take care all of my sisters, maybe there is hope for us yet!!

Unread 05-08-2003, 08:03 AM

Hi sadly,,, They first put my dh on neurontin, but he had all the side effects, quit taking that and hopefully the thoracic guy can give him something else. He has been in pain for about a year and no one seems to know what to do about it. Anyway it is getting tolerable to him. When he gets that stabbing pain his arm goes numb and then it gets better. Hopefully you can find some relief also.. angie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register