"acting" normal till surgery date | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"acting" normal till surgery date "acting" normal till surgery date

Unread 05-05-2003, 10:15 PM
"acting" normal till surgery date

This is my first time posting. I was recently diagnosed with cervical adenocarcinoma. It seems that for different reasons, my surgery can't be scheduled until mid June. I don't want to go to work anymore. I can't concentrate and I don't care about all the trivial things I am supposed to take care of. I am more content at home. What have the rest of you done to deal with everyday life when you know you have cancer and you just want it out? There is like this big neon sign flashing in my brain that says CANCER. I hope someone knows what I mean, cause I feel kind of silly.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2003, 11:05 PM

I do know what you mean, Jane. It's very hard to deal with a world that keeps going on normally while you're in such a turmoil. I did continue my normal routine. There wasn't much choice there, but I wasn't really comfortable until I got home and could "worry in peace".

I'm sorry I can't offer you any great words of wisdom or comfort. If it continues and you find you just can't function you might talk to your dr to see if he/she can offer any help.

In the meantime, you can come here to ask questions or even to vent when you need to. We will all understand what you're feeling.

Unread 05-06-2003, 03:59 AM

I know exactly what you mean and I had only about a week between diagnosis and surgery.
I felt I could not work because of my mental state but later in the week managed to go in
and sort things out before my long term absence.
Like you I needed to be at home and talk to my family and find out about gyn cancer .Finding
this site was what saved me from going crazy!
At one stage I remember spending hours each day reading posts and this helped me make the decision
to take things one step at a time.
There are some wonderful women here who can really help you .Lean on them, ask questions
and you will receive lots of support.
You are not alone!!! Maggie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2003, 06:26 AM

{{Jane}},
Welcome to Hystersisters. You'll find this site will help you get through the next month.

I also had to wait a month from seeing the gyn/onc to surgery. What a horrible time mentally and emotionally. I felt isolated at work but I shouldn't have. I was lucky to work for a company and boss who were very sensitive and accomodating. They knew I was spending lots of time at work on the WEB looking up stuff but never talked to me about it.

I finally ended up taking off three work days before the surgery - I was just wasting my time at work. However, not everyone can take the time off financially.

It will get better. You'll start feeling comfortable in your new skin. This site was an enormous help. Everyone understood what I was feeling - it was wonderfully comforting. Please post often during this time (and afterwards!!). We're here for you.
and es,
Laura
Unread 05-06-2003, 06:48 AM
Jane, I know how you feel

and I have to say that this site saved me from myself! There was so much support and so much good information that it really helped. I got my diagnosis on 2/10 (our wedding anniversary) and had my surgery on 3/7, so there was a little wait. But that time was filled with finding a gyn/oncon and then having pre-surgery tests and all, so I was somewhat busy. Just do what you can. Somedays it may be better to have something to DO than just think about what is going on in your body.
Good, good luck and I am here rooting for you!

TAH/BSO 3/7, Stage III endometrial cancer
Going through radiation now..chemo to follow.

the will pass quickly, even if you can't believe it!
Unread 05-06-2003, 07:46 AM

I know what you mean! I'm getting about half the work done I normally would and am distracted and tired. I'm hitting on about two cylinders!! I'm thinking I'd like to take some time off before I'm off haha if there's any way to. You're definitely not alone! My surgery date is 5/29. I will not have a diagnosis until they go in at that time.
Unread 05-06-2003, 09:57 AM

Hi Jane!

The waiting was definitely the hardest part for me, too! I was diagnosed April 19, got into the gyn/onc in mid-May, had tests and more tests, and then had surgery on July 2 (2002). I continued to go to work, the gym, etc. during that time because it felt right for me.

I felt I was able to function pretty well, but believe me there were moments where I'd just freeze and stare into space. Or start crying. Of course, I work at a cancer center so cancer is all anyone talks about all day! But I think if I hadn't been maintaining some sort of normalcy and having something else (other than my own cancer) to think about, I would've gone completely round the bend.

It was very difficult! Take care of yourself and do what's best for you. Hang in there and post if it helps, we are here for you and it might make the time go by faster.

Beth
Unread 05-06-2003, 11:57 AM

s Jane

I recall how difficult the waiting was for me. Positively the worst time. On April 12th I was found to have a huge mass on each ovary. They did some routine lab work and it was discovered my platelet count was dangerously high. This delayed my surgery for seven weeks, while they searched for a cause of this problem.
None was found, I took meds to reduce my platelets, and finally had my debulking surgery. I have no special tips for surviving the wait. Just knowing things do get better when you know exactly what you are deailng with and the treatment needed. Hang in there. You are definitely living in a place where only those that have been understand.

karenann
Unread 05-06-2003, 07:47 PM

Waiting was the most difficult part. I felt that going to work and carrying on with my everyday routine was the most helpful. It kept my mind off things and made me feel normal.
Unread 05-06-2003, 11:57 PM
waiting is hard...

I didn't have to wait as long as you, there was only 10 days between my diagnosis and my surgery. BUT, it was the longest 10 days of my life. I think what helped me besides maintaining my normal life is, I started to journal. I wrote down all my feelings, and things my Drs had told me. While I was writing all of these things down, I came up with a list of questions to ask my Dr, so I wrote those things down too.

Good luck, and know that you are not alone. We are here for you.

's and ers to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register