what's the difference between pelvic pressure and pelvic pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what's the difference between pelvic pressure and pelvic pain what's the difference between pelvic pressure and pelvic pain

Unread 05-06-2003, 04:02 PM
what's the difference between pelvic pressure and pelvic pain

At nearly 5 months post op I can say that what i continue to feel often is more of a pressure than pain; this occurs when I am standing in one place or sitting without my legs being elevated or driving. I make a round trip 2 hour commute daily. This pressure is in the lower abdomen, sometimes in the vaginal area and sometimes is accompanied by aching legs. How many of you other ladies have or remember having these pressure feelings at 5 months or later? Lately there have been lots of posts about pelvic pain from women 4 months or more post op. Are we speaking of pressure or pain or are they one and the same? Is this normal at this stage?

Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2003, 09:04 PM

Hi Paula

The pressure you're describing sounds exactly like the feelings I remember I used to have in those early months post op. It wasn't pain, it was a pressure ... very much akin to the feeling I had when I was in the very early stages of labor..., indicating that the tender tissues affected by my recent surgery had been over stressed.

I also remember that sitting and standing in place for any length of time was what would be sure to bring on that feeling. I figured that those two "activities" were probably the ones most likely to stress those numerous internal stitches. I don't know that I would have been able to withstand a 2 hour commute at 5 months post-op. I clearly remember that the 30 minute bus ride home was all that I could handle back in those days.

The best way to relieve this pressure is to rest, with your feet up, in order to relieve the stress on your still healing pelvic area. While at work, if you sit for prolonged periods of time or stand for long periods of time, try and get "rest breaks" where you stretch you legs and rest, with your feet up. I would use and inverted recycle bin to prop my feet up while working. I would also use any excuse I could find to walk around the office in order to relieve the pressure. When I got home, I would rest, with my feet up, for at least 30 minutes, while ((((DH))))))) got supper ready. It was enough to allow me to go through my evening routine.

Of course, while what you describe might appear to be part of normal healing, only your doctor will know for sure. Therefore, these concerns should be brought up to your doctor in order for them to be effectively addressed.

Tons of s are going your way. Please let us know how you're doing.
Unread 05-07-2003, 01:39 AM

Dany,

Thank-you so very much for the quick reply. I have never given birth and these feelings of pressure are unlike anything that I have experienced before. I notice that you refer to being 5 months post op as being at the early stages of healing and although I read over and over that this is a surgery that can take a year or so
to recover from, I guess I think that does not apply to me. I guess I have been expecting more from myself. I am almost 52 and 20 years ago I had an ectopic pregnancy which resulted in the removal of a tube and an ovary. Within 9 weeks I was backpacking through Europe with a 40 pound backpack on my back. I guess the age difference really is what it is about. Sometimes when I read the post surgery posts, I feel that I "not doing it right" because I am recovering so slowly.

Thanks again,

Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2003, 07:02 AM

Hi Paula.

I just wanted to pop in and let you know I am having the same problems with the slowed recoveries and I am only 33. I am at the point in my life where I think I will never be able to grow old gracefully or be able to keep up with my younger and even older friends.

The pressure could be normal or could be due to something else. At 5 months I remember having the same pains and pressure, in fact, I think I remember having it until around 7 months. I now have it again due to cystocele and rectocele.

Please take Dany's advice and prop them feet up when posssible and take a load off. That is a mighty long commute to take at 5 months post-op. Dont feel like it is something you did or did not do. We all heal at different rates and sometimes age does not even have a thing to do with it, it is just nature..

Please take care and I hope you find relief soon!!
Unread 05-07-2003, 08:38 AM

((((Paula))))) I was 44 when I had my TVH and couldn't believe how much of a toll that surgery took on me!!! I remember being almost 8 months post-op and still having that awful swelly belly, still having problems doing things I used to take for granted. Still having aches and pains when I just tried to do too much. And too much could be as simple as cleaning our my son's room, at last.

I think that, where this surgery is concerned, it's not only age that matters (though, of course, that has some bearing) but it's also because it is such a major surgery, involving an unbelievable number of internal stitches and reattaching ligaments, etc. It might also have a lot to do with the fact that the majority of us had been ill for quite some time before we ever had the surgery (I was bleeding uncontrollably for 4 years before I finally decided that this surgery could not be put off any longer). In the end, it all takes it's toll on our bodies and contributes to the slower recovery.

I agree with Pam: we are all different, all recover at different rates, all had slightly different procedures for different reasons. This all leads to all of us having very different recoveries. And, surprisingly enough, some of the Road Dwellers, including myself, originally had very uneventful and smooth recoveries only to have problems down the road.

Give your body a chance, Paula, listen to its signs and allow yourself time to recover.

I'm now 2 1/2 years from my surgery and, even though I am having some problems (arthritic pain, bladder woes, RLS, etc.) I still feel much better than I did 2 years ago today.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register