question? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-07-2003, 11:08 AM
question?

Hi everyone,

My daughter had a pap and it came back abnormal. The Dr. called and said they want her in the office this monday for a test. They said she may have (and I may not be spelling this right) hygrade stamous intra epiphalus. Anyone ever hear of this? Anyone know what this is? Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.
I am worried.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2003, 02:25 PM
question?

Personally I know very little about it but worked out that you probably mean high grade squamous intra-epithelial lesions (HGSIL).

Come on ladies out there who know more than me! This is moderate to severe dysplasia isn't it? Treated by LEEP, LLETZ, cryotherapy, cautery etc...?

Don't over-worry yourself. The test they want her in for is probably a colposcopy to get a better look at the affected area. I found some very useful information at:

www.wdxcyber.com/npapvg14.htm

that should answer alot of your questions about HGSIL but I'm sure there are other ladies here who have been through it and can give you more personal advice.

Lydia
Unread 05-07-2003, 04:33 PM
question?

Hi Kooky..

I personally do not know that is but am sure that someone later on will.

I do know that paps can come back abnormal for a variety of reasons and an infection could definately be one.

Let us know how she makes out.

Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2003, 04:38 PM
question?

Hi Kooky!

I think Lydia is right on the money with her post. If your daughter does indeed have a high-grade lesion, there are lots of options to choose from, including a LEEP (Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure) which is done to remove all of the abnormal cells with a laser and to look at them under a microscope to make sure that they haven't turned to cancer. This can often be done without general anesthesia.

Another option is a cone biopsy, where a cone-shaped sample of tissue is surgically removed from the cervix to get rid of the abnormal cells and again make sure that they are not cancerous. This procedure usually requires general anesthesia. I have had both procedures (cone twice), and so have many others here, so if you have any more questions let us know! And try not to worry too much, usually these procedures will get rid of the cells once and for all!

Chicklet
Unread 05-07-2003, 08:50 PM
question?

I am going along with chicklet and lydia. They will probably do a colposcopy which is a simple procedure and then either nothing, a LEEP or a cone based on the results. Most of the time it is precancer and can easily be treated. I would not worry at all at this point.
Unread 05-08-2003, 01:07 PM
question?

Thank you all very much. Yes I did have it spelled wrong. You have eased my fears. I will let you know what we find out. Her doctor appt. is Monday the 19th. My daughter is married with three children. I guess even after they are grown up and making it on their own a mother never stops worrying. Again, thank you for making me feel better. Have a great day!

Kooky

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register