Minor freak-out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Minor freak-out Minor freak-out

Unread 05-08-2003, 02:50 PM
Minor freak-out

Okay...posting my top 10 worst fears helped...but now I found out that one of my friend's friends DIED the other day (she was only 46)...after having shoulder surgery! Her blood pressure spiked and then hit the floor and they lost her!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Someone come hold my hand and tell me I'll be okay!

PEACE OF MIND, DANG IT, and a CALM spirit!
Simi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2003, 03:15 PM
Minor freak-out

OH Simi.. these things are so rare. Im sure everything will be fine for you!

Gonna look great in that crown Stay calm and take a deep breath. Although I may not be able to physically hold your hand, I will be with you in mind and spirit.

Unread 05-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Minor freak-out

Simi
Calm down take big breasts, I mean big breaths!!

No will let you die druing surgery, it causes far too much paperwork. Everyone knows horror stories, but thankfully they are few and far between.
You will be fine.
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Minor freak-out

Simi

Stay calm these incidents are very very rare, so sorry you have lost a friend.

Good luck for your forthcoming surgery you will be absolutely fine.

Hugs

Jane
xxxxxx
Unread 05-08-2003, 07:13 PM
Minor freak-out

You can't die, Simi. You haven't got your salsa garden in, or pulled your weeds, etc. I know, I read your post. Who's gonna do it if you don't. So there.
Unread 05-08-2003, 08:59 PM
Oh you...

Becky...I should have known that you would know just what to say...THANK YOU, fellow Coloradan! I hope you are still feeling mahvelous!

And the rest of you...THANK YOU...you are right...these accidents are so rare.

I'm sitting here with my black lab next to me, crying like a baby (me, not the lab). DH is on a much-needed road trip with his Dad, getting himself psyched up to care for me next week. I'm really glad they went...really...I'm just lonely and scared tonight.

Big breasts...phewie...laughing through my tears...I'll be fine...

Peace of mind,
Simi
Unread 05-08-2003, 09:36 PM
Minor freak-out

Simi,
Just to let you know, you aren't alone in your tears tonight. It seems to be a new passion of mine, to sit in front of this computer and cry. Too many fears, too many emotions, and I'm scared too. And gosh darn it, I have a strong faith in God, so that leaves me wondering, "Who the heck ran off with my real personality and left me with this whinning scaredy cat?"

"For God did not give us the spirit of fear, but of POWER, and of LOVE, and of SOUND MIND!" 2 timothy 1:7

sheley - trudging towards a sound mind again.
Unread 05-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Minor freak-out

I to am sitting in front of the computer and crying ..... I am usually a very strong indiviual but I don't feel so strong right now. May 2nd it was decided that I should have a vaginal subtotal Hysterectomy on May 27th but the Dr hasn't called to confirm it yet and as I live alone and my closest family and friends live an hour away. I need to start making plans and can't yet. I called his office just to make sure I didn't dream the appt.... nope didn't dream it .... my file is on his desk and he does all of his own scheduling (****). I suffer from heavy and frequent periods and painful cramps. I had a D&C done back in september to "fix" every thing but it has only gotten worse. I am exhausted all the time and can't wait until my surgery is over.... I swear this is going to be the longest month of my life!

Sue
Unread 05-09-2003, 03:15 AM
Minor freak-out

((Simi)),
I think very many of us experienced the fear of death when we are scheduled for surgery, I know I did..
Here is an article, that I recently found & saved b/c I knew this fear comes uo a lot here..hope it is of some help

Quote:
It's funny that some people question why a woman would want to "keep" or even mourn the loss of her uterus if she's not interested in childbearing -- why would she miss or grieve something she didn't really "need?" But those same people would probably never question a man's desire to keep his testicles even if he didn't want to father children. Such different perspectives illustrate that the real issue is often a devaluation of women and their reproductive organs.

Yes, it's perfectly normal to feel grief or terror at the prospect of losing your uterus. While you would certainly still be a woman without it, there's no question but that the womb is symbolic for much of what constitutes us as women. Your concerns should be respected and processed.You might find a book titled: "Women 's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" helpful in understanding what's going on in your body -- and mind -- and exploring some of your options. For instance, I'd get a second opinion before going through major surgery such as a hysterectomy. Once you've explored your options further, you may decide that a hysterectomy is the best way for you to go. If so, you could consult a psychologist about your fears of anesthesia, or of the operation in general. (You can also discuss your fears with your doctor, of course.) You can also process your grief and loss, as well as any other emotional issues, with a psychologist or other therapist regardless of whether you decide to have a hysterectomy. http://www.ivillagehealth.com/expert...5112-2,00.html
Personally, I've found the better educated aI've become on surgeries, DX's. xarios treaments & symptoms I've underment or are facing the better I felt about them

What is hysterectomy?
  Quote:
Hysterectomy is the surgical removal of the uterus.
Reasons for having a hysterectomy:
  Quote:
The following are several possible causes or reasons for hysterectomy:
fibroid tumors - non-malignant tumors that often grow to large sizes causing pressure on other organs, and may cause heavy bleeding or pelvic pain.
endometriosis - endometrial cells sometimes grow outside of the uterus, attach themselves to other organs in the pelvic cavity, and bleed each month in accordance with an ovarian cycle. This can result in chronic pelvic pain, pain during sex, and prolonged or heavy bleeding.
endometrial hyperplasia - a cause of abnormal bleeding, this over-thickening of the uterine lining is often due to the presence of very high levels of estrogen.
cancer - approximately 10 percent of hysterectomies are performed to treat cancer - either cervical, ovarian or endometrial.
blockage of the bladder or intestines by the uterus, or a growth. What are the different types of hysterectomy?
total hysterectomy
Includes the removal of the entire uterus, including the fundus (the part of the uterus above the openings of the fallopian tubes) and the cervix, but not the ovaries.
hysterectomy with bilateral oophorectomy
Includes the removal of one or both ovaries, and sometimes the fallopian tubes, along with the uterus.
radical hysterectomy
Includes the removal of the uterus, cervix, the top portion of the vagina, most of the tissue that surrounds the cervix in the pelvic cavity, and may include the removal of the pelvic lymph nodes.
supracervical hysterectomy (subtotal hysterectomy)
Removal of the body of the uterus while leaving the cervix intact.

What are the procedures for performing hysterectomy?

abdominal hysterectomy
The uterus is removed through the abdomen via a surgical incision about six to eight inches long. This procedure is most commonly used when the ovaries and fallopian tubes are being removed, when the uterus is enlarged, or when disease has spread to the pelvic cavity - as in endometriosis or cancer. The main surgical incision can be made either vertically, which will run from about your navel down to your pubic bone, or horizontally, which will run along the top of the pubic hairline.
vaginal hysterectomy
The uterus is removed through the vaginal opening. This procedure is most often used in cases of uterine prolapse, or when vaginal repairs are necessary for related conditions. No external incision is made, which means there is no visible scarring.
laparoscopically-assisted vaginal hysterectomy
Vaginal hysterectomy is performed with the aid of a laparoscope. Thin tubes are inserted through tiny incisions in the abdomen near the navel. The uterus is then removed in sections through the scoping tube or through the vagina.
What Questions Should You Ask Your Doctor if it is Recommended that you have a Hysterectomy?
  Quote:
It is important for you to understand the reasons that your doctor has suggested a hysterectomy as treatment for your gynecologic problem. The best way to help you make a decision as to whether the procedure is right for you is to ask your doctor the right questions._

The most common reasons for surgery are pain, bleeding, or symptoms from fibroids. You know the reason you went to see the doctor in the first place. And, the first question that you should ask is what specifically is the cause of your problem. For example, ask, "What exactly is causing my pain?" Sometimes the reason will not be entirely clear to the doctor. In particular, the cause of pelvic pain may originate in the intestines or the bladder and not from the uterus. You should ask if there are other tests that can be done to make the diagnosis more apparent. The decision whether to have these tests or not should be yours and should be balanced with the side effects and cost of the tests. For example, laparoscopy can help to make a diagnosis of the cause of pelvic pain, but you may or may not wish to go through an operation to have an exact diagnosis made._

Once a diagnosis, or probable diagnosis, has been established, you should also ask what the consequences to your health will be if you do not have surgery, either at all, or at this time. For non life-threatening problems, one option is always to do nothing. However, doing nothing often means more frequent visits to your doctor to monitor your problem._

The next question to ask the doctor is what are the non-surgical alternative therapies available to treat your condition.
For every condition, there are usually alternatives of varying degrees of effectiveness. As described throughout this book, medications, pain management, even homeopathics or other alternative therapies, may sometimes be tried to alleviate symptoms. But again, I would advise you to continue to see your doctor regularly in order to detect any changes in your condition._

You should also ask about your doctor's experience doing the operation that has been proposed.
You should feel comfortable with the number of procedures he or she has performed for problems like yours. If their experience is limited, you may ask who the assistant is going to be, and how much experience the assistant has had. For some of the newer procedures, such as endometrial ablation, laparoscopic surgery, or laparoscopic hysterectomy, additional training and experience must be acquired before the procedures can be safely performed. The same questions should be asked of an interventional radiologist regarding uterine artery embolization. Some hospitals have strict requirements for training before a doctor is allowed to perform these operations or procedures, while other hospitals have no such requirements. Therefore, it is important for you to ask about surgical training and experience.

Should You Get a Second Opinion?
You should also ask your doctor whether a second opinion would be a good idea. Most doctors will welcome the idea of a second opinion. If they have done a complete job on the diagnosis and on the explanation of the problem to you, then they should feel confident about the range of options they have suggested to you. In addition, no doctor knows everything, and your doctor may welcome any other new ideas about your problem. This is your body and your life and you deserve to know everything you can about all the options available.

If you need a hysterectomy, should you also have your ovaries removed?
I have changed my view about this controversial subject since the first edition of this book was published._ At that time, I suggested that women who were having a hysterectomy performed for appropriate reasons also consider having their ovaries removed after the age of about forty-five._ My thinking at the time was that the ovaries would continue producing hormones for only a few years thereafter, and this advantage would be overshadowed by the benefit of removing the ovaries and eliminating the 1 percent chance of developing ovarian cancer in your lifetime._ However, a number of issues have come to my attention since then, and I now believe that the ovaries should almost never be removed at the time of hysterectomy._

First, the risk of ovarian cancer goes down if the ovaries remain after hysterectomy._ The reason for this is not clear, but it may be that the path for potential carcinogens from the vagina to the ovaries is interrupted when the uterus is removed._ Thus, the risk of a woman developing ovarian cancer after hysterectomy is probably closer to 1 in 300 rather than 1 in 80 for women who have not had a hysterectomy._ The benefit of removing ovaries for ovarian cancer prevention has been overstated in the medical literature and is, therefore, misunderstood by most physicians.

Significantly, the ovaries produce hormones long after menopause._ Estrogen continues to be produced in small amounts, about 25 percent of normal pre-menopausal levels._ Blood levels of estrogen in some post-menopausal women are equivalent to the levels attained by low-dose estrogen patches used for estrogen replacement in menopause._ The circulating level of estrogen produced by the patch has been shown to be sufficient to prevent bone loss in clinical studies._ Studies also show less bone loss in women who have ovaries than in women who have had their ovaries removed._ Studies show that women who have had their ovaries removed (and have not taken replacement estrogen) have higher rates of heart disease than women the same age who still have their ovaries.

Testosterone is usually thought of as solely a male hormone._ However, it and other androgen (male) hormones are produced by the ovaries from the time of the first menstrual period._ These androgens continue to be produced by the ovaries after menopause._ Testosterone has many direct and indirect benefits to your body._ Some of the testosterone is converted into estrogen by your body, and it circulates in the bloodstream to all of your tissues where it has a direct effect on many organs._ It helps to build bone and thus reduces osteoporosis._ Its steroid features prevent muscle loss that often occurs with aging._ Testosterone directly affects the brain and increases libido._ Sexual feelings, desire, and arousal are all related to androgen levels._ Testosterone also affects brain function and mood._ Women with hormones from their own ovaries have a lower rate of depression than women who have had them removed, even if estrogen replacement therapy (ERT) is taken.

Some physicians have argued that women can replace estrogens and androgens with medications._ However, less than 30 percent of women who have a hysterectomy and removal of their ovaries will actually take hormones. _Therefore, 70 percent of women will not have the benefit of their own hormones._ Some women do not take ERT because they feel fine and do not understand the benefits of taking estrogen for their bones._ Some women are concerned about the still controversial issues surrounding estrogen and breast cancer, although it appears that the effect of estrogen on the risk of breast cancer may be small._ Some cannot afford the medication._ For whatever reason, most women would be better off with their own supply of estrogen and testosterone from their ovaries.

Another problem with estrogen replacement therapy (ERT) is the dilemma that some doctors and women have as they try to find the right doses._ Some women note that despite trying multiple regimens of ERT, they still do not feel right._ Because hormone production and metabolism is a complex issue, it should not be a surprise that we are not able to mimic normal hormone levels in all women._ For all the above reasons, I have recently started recommending that most women choose to keep their ovaries at the time of hysterectomy for uterine problems, regardless of their age.

However, there are a few situations where women may wish to have their ovaries removed at the time of hysterectomy._ If the ovaries are affected by endometriosis or a woman has severe endometriosis and pelvic pain, studies show that removing the ovaries is associated with better long-term relief of pain than if the ovaries are not removed._ Severe adhesions, or scar tissue, around the ovaries may also cause continued pelvic pain.

Some women are at increased risk for developing ovarian cancer._ If you feel your family history suggests an increased risk for ovarian cancer, you should see a genetic counselor to help evaluate your risk._ The counselor may suggest you have BRCA (breast/ovarian cancer) gene testing to determine if you have inherited the gene that increases your risk._ If you have an increased risk, you should strongly consider having your ovaries removed._ In this case, the benefits of removing your ovaries and preventing ovarian cancer should far outweigh the benefits of keeping your own ovarian hormones.

Some women are very uneasy about leaving their ovaries in because of the fear of ovarian cancer._ They may have seen a friend or relative die of this terrible disease._ As a result, some women may choose to have their ovaries removed at the time of hysterectomy._ But for each woman, the risks should be weighed carefully against the benefits of having her own hormones from her own ovaries after menopause._ Women tend to make very different decisions based on their particular circumstances, their feelings about estrogen replacement therapy, and their risk and fear of ovarian cancer._ However, it is always best to make these decisions based on accurate and current medical information._ This decision is yours to make and should be discussed in detail with your doctor._ As always, if there are unanswered questions or concern, get a second opinion.

What Is Right For You?_
The decision to have a hysterectomy should not be taken lightly. There are medical conditions that require treatment - cancer, prolonged heavy bleeding to the point of severe anemia, or incapacitating pain. However, all medical conditions have more than one option for treatment. Medicine is an evolving art as well as a science. Recently, with more open attitudes towards women's opinions and feelings, and with the advent of new technology, doctors have been looking for new medical treatments for gynecologic symptoms in order to avoid hysterectomy. As outlined above, there are possible side effects of hysterectomy, none of which are entirely predictable for each individual. But, for some women, hysterectomy will be the right treatment._

As with most decisions, you should carefully consider the pros and cons of hysterectomy as they relate to your particular medical situation and emotional well-being. On one hand, you should weigh the degree of discomfort that your gynecologic problem presents to you, the ways in which it interferes with your health, both emotionally and physically. On the other hand, weigh the potential risks of the operation, including the possible physical as well as the emotional side-effects of having a hysterectomy. There are women who happily choose to live with fibroids the size of a 5 month pregnancy despite the fact that they have some daily discomfort and look pregnant. Other women choose surgery for small fibroids because they are distressed by symptoms, or by worry, and don't wish to live with the problems any longer.

Ultimately, the final decision about the appropriateness of a hysterectomy, or any type of surgery or medical care, should be made by each woman herself. http://www.gynsecondopinion.com/hysterectomy.htm
Should I Keep My Ovaries?
http://drn4u.com/keepovaries.htm

Hysterectomy-Leave the Ovaries-Gabe Mirkin, M.D.
http://www.drmirkin.com/women/W126.htm
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/hysterectomy.html
url]http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/mosby_factsheets/hysterectomy.html[/url]
http://www.vagisil.com/frame_general_surgical.html
http://www.estronaut.com/a/hysterect...ternatives.htm

Reducing Complications At Laparoscopic Hysterectomy:
http://www.reproductivecenter.com/reducing.html
http://www.lucanus.co.nz/Ops.htm#Laparoscopic Hysterectomy

Supracervical hysterectomy versus total abdominal:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6874/2/1/abstract

Nerve-sparing Hysterectomy:
http://www.newshe.com/articles/hysterectomy_3.shtml
Old Ovaries-still of value?
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=10987

Myths vs. Facts about Hysterectomy:
http://www.mayohealth.org/mayo/9406/htm/myth_sb.htm

http://www.womenshealth.org/ask/hyst.htm

Benefits vs. Side Effects of Hysterectomies:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/health/...r/lhwhy002.htm

hormone replacement after complete hysterectomy: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...MNI&qakey=2339

Surgery: Alternatives to Hysterectomy:
http://womenshealth.miningco.com/msub9.htm

Vaginal Hysterectomy Assisted with Laparoscopy:_
http://www.bewell.com/hic/hysterecto...copy/index.asp

Making The Choice:
http://www.denver-rmn.com/health/ar-pc-hy.htm

Hysterectomy: when is it necessary?
http://www.healthgate.com/healthy/woman/1998/hys/

Hysterectomy: Know Your Options:
http://www.healthywomen.org/qa/hysterectomy.html

Hysterectomy Guidelines:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/health/...r/lhwhy003.htm

Hysterectomy: Get the Facts Before You Act:
http://www.plainsense.com/Health/Womens/hystrctm.htm

A Quality of Life Issue:
http://medseek.com/glennbradley/newsdetail.cfm?ref=251

Menorrhagia: When Periods Are Too Much:
http://www.womens-health.com/gyn_health/gyn_md_men.html

Chronic Pelvic Pain Diagnosis and Management: http://www.obgyn.net/displayarticle....ter/cpp_carter

Hysterectomy Information:_
http://www.obgyn.net/ah/ah.asp?page=/ah/ATE_1101#14

http://www.womens-health.com/gyn_hea...n_md_hyst.html
  Quote:
Hysterectomy is one of the most common surgical procedures in the U.S. today. But, the good news is that today 's patients are becoming more active "consumers" when it comes to their medical care. As a result, today's women are more thoroughly researching their surgical options. In addition to learning about different procedures, patients' should understand the anticipated length of hospitalization and recuperation time for each procedure and interview surgeons to determine their experience with various hysterectomy procedures. Then, with the guidance of a surgeon, they should consider the most appropriate approach for their surgery. Women should have information regarding all of their surgical options, and also they should know that they have a right to request a procedure that enables them to keep their ovaries, fallopian tubes, and cervix - in the absence of medical necessity for removal. The benefits and risks of each option should be defined by the surgeons, enabling women to make decisions that are appropriate for their individual circumstances.

The past decade has seen a steady progression towards less invasive surgical procedures. This is reflected ion the rise of vaginal versus abdominal hysterectomies, as well as in laparoscopically-assisted vaginal procedures. Many clinicians now agree that in the absence of a clear reason for cervical removal, a laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy is appropriate.

Hyst comparison chart
http://www.doctorfarmer.com/hysterectomy/
Good Luck ((Simi)) Pls know your (((Sisters))) will be w/ you in spirit holding your hand all the way
Let us know how your doing......(((hugs)))
Unread 05-09-2003, 03:44 AM
Thanks Sheri

Thank you for all that info, it is good to be reasonably informed, and all this information you provided is straight forward and does not include any scare tactics.

Simi I know how you feel I think we will all go through the Freak outs before our date. Take your deep breath (breasts) remember how good it will make you feel, and concentrate on your recovery.

With you in spirit.

Regards,

Marie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register