had my second opinion | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

had my second opinion had my second opinion

Unread 05-08-2003, 09:32 PM
had my second opinion

OK I went to the gynecological oncologist today and i feel more confused than before. I thought she was going to do a second biopsy but she didn't. She did do an exam and a pap. She told me based on the report of the first DR that I should have a hysterectomy. She did also tell me when she got my slides from Lab Corp she would have her pathlogist look at them. I am now going to wait and see what his report says plus the report from the pap smear she did today.
My husband went with me and it was so discouraging. I found out he has been praying for a healing and now I don't know what to do. I don't know if I should just forget about the surgery and believe God for a healing or what. I myself didn't know how to pray I was just numb from hearing the word cancer, so I asked my believing friends to say a lil prayer for me which they have been doing. I'm sooooooooo confused right now please talk to me.
Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2003, 09:48 PM
had my second opinion

Hi Pam,

From your other post it looked like some cancer cells were found, if I remember correctly. The first thing to do is what you said-wait until the pap results come back so you have all of the information, and then talk to the gyn/onc about what she thinks.

If there are indeed cancer cells present and both docs agree that a hyst. is needed, I must encourage you to go through with it. Stay on this board and talk to the many many women who have successfully beaten this disease with both surgery and prayer. There is surely a place for prayer in this process, and a strong faith will help get you through this. But first you've got to get rid of those nasty cells so that you can live a long life and your husband can keep praying with you for many years. Please don't give up, stay strong, keep fighting!

Beth
Unread 05-08-2003, 10:12 PM
had my second opinion

Pam.

It is good to wait for the 2nd opinion before making a decision, but I would encourage you to follow what the Dr. say. I know that my faith, prayers and the prayers of others for me have gotten me thru a very difficult year. I beleiev that God answers prayers, strenghtens, comforts us an prayer definitley changes us and the outcome for the better. I also believe that even though God can and sometimes does heal us without doctors He also works thru Doctors and treatments. Your Doctors and surgery may be part of God's answer to your husband prayers. When we feel too overwhelmed to pray God knows our hearts, sees the unspoken needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2003, 06:06 AM
had my second opinion

Hi, Pam. First, my heart goes out to you as you struggle through these tough times. I also want to say that I agree totally with everything that Shepherdpal and Chicklet have said.

I'm a little further down the road than you are. I had a hysterectomy on 4/17 and the doctors did, in fact, discover cancer. I'm moving foward in my treatment and starting chemo on 5/22.

I will say this: I am so relieved that the surgery is behind me! I cannot imagine having to wait any longer than necessary for surgery knowing that there was the possibility of cancer inside of me.

After my surgery, I discovered that my husband and I were praying for different things!! He was praying for me not to have cancer and I was asking God that if it was, indeed, cancer, to give me the strength I would need to handle this. The difference in the way we looked at things was amazing to me! But I don't question my husband's faith.

One of my favorite quotes from the Bible is, "Faith the size of a mustard seed can move mountains." But you know what, (and this is just my opinion) I believe that while God will move the mountain, He asks us to bring the shovel. I consider my doctors to be the "shovels"!

Good luck and God bless!
Unread 05-09-2003, 06:19 AM
had my second opinion

{{Pam}},
I usually try to keep my posts light hearted, but it's time to get serious.

Hearing the word cancer for the first time is horrible, mind-numbing, almost nothing is worse. While you wait for the results from your second opinion, get comfortable with the fear - it should never leave you. Cancer and this fear needs to become a call to arms. Make no mistake, this is now a war between you and this invading cancer. You and your gyn/onc will develop a war strategy to defeat this invader. It's important to actively, positively implement this plan of attack.

Now for real fear (sorry to scare you). A co-worker's wife was diagnosed with curable breast cancer. She refused any treatment and now her prognosis is not good. She walked away from the war and was defeated. My DD's boyfriend was diagnosed with incurable glioblastoma multiforme (Grade IV brain cancer). He has fought a focused, valiant fight and has bought himself at least two years, and hopefully, five or more. He will out-live the co-worker's wife because he did not walk away from the war.

Although I'm not a believer, I recognize the power of prayer. It fosters positive energy from yourself, your family, friends and the human community. This power cannot be underestimated. I agree with Debbie, these prayers can work through your doctors and fortify your war against cancer.

A lot of us who have triumphed in this war agree - it is better to regret what you did rather than what you didn't do. You'll never know if you did to much, but you will always know if you didn't do enough. The rare times when second chances are available they are harder to fight.

You will not be alone in this war. Your family is there, your friends are there, your doctors are there and we are there. We are your foot soldiers and will be with you through everything. I always say women are stronger than cancer, and in groups we are an awesome power. We cannot help you crush this enemy unless you're willing to fight.

I'm done preaching. We need you on this site for a long time. I've read the stories of so many wonderful women on this site who have been crippled with fear (as we all are), but have come out fighting, surprising themselves with their strength of body and mind, and winning this fight. I know you can do the same. That triumph will be with you throughout your life and you will always be stronger because of it. (I guess I wasn't done preaching afterall.)
Laura

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register