They put a hole in my Bladder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

They put a hole in my Bladder They put a hole in my Bladder

Unread 09-03-2000, 12:58 PM
They put a hole in my Bladder

Hello,
I had a total Hysteroctomy only 3 weeks ago. I was doing great in recovery, until 2 weeks after surgery. I began to pee out of my vaginia! Scared me to death, now I find out I have a hole in my bladder, and maybe more surgery will be need. So far they put in a catherter in me for 2 to 3 weeks , to see if it will heal, but if it does not, Back under the knife. And I feels so scared about this. I don't feel as strong as I did before my last surgery. Has anyone ever had this, if so and had the surgery. Can you PLEASE tell me how it went. I have been really depressed, crying all the time, trying to have a positive attitude that I will heal. But another surgery lurks in the back of my mind all the time. ANy info would be so greatly apperciated!! Thank you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2000, 01:39 PM

I am so sorry to hear of your problem. I havent went thru that nor heard of anyone that has, but Im sure you'll get plenty of responses from others that have the knowledge you seek. I HAVE went thru a surgery since my TAH & am facing another one at the end of september. I know its a bummer having to go under again but look at what you'll gain. Your problems will be over. you are already healing from the 1st surgery, now this will just add another week or two to your recovery. Please try to look at the bright side... Its tough to do but there IS a bright side...
Im praying for you...
Unread 09-03-2000, 02:36 PM

Hello sister,

I am so sory to hear that you are going through this (((hugs)))

I hope you get some relief soon and you are in my thoughts and prayers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2000, 11:46 AM

Hi
I am sorry to hear of your vesicovaginal fistula. I had my repair surgery in July. I also had the same symptoms of the peeing starting 13 days after my hyst. I had the cath put in for 4 weeks to no avail, the leaking only got worse. I was terrifed of more surgery. The best thing for you to do is to find the BEST urological surgeon in your area. It is such a rare complication and you want someone with experience and a good success rate of repairing these. The first repair surgery is the most important, if you don't get fixed the first time then the success of future surgeries becomes slimmer. The urologist that diagnosed me didn't do my repair. He referred me to the cheif of urology at the hospital I went to, which happens to be one of the best in Michigan, he was wonderful and my surgery is a complete success. If you want to hear my whole story please email me. [email protected] Also in the search function search for "feeling butchered". It will give you some more information.

I had 2 fistula's side by side when they went in for the repair, and the repair surgery is much more complicated and tedious then the hysterectomy. I am suing my Gyn. He stitched my bladder to my vaginal cuff. By the time your surgery comes around you will feel better and stronger. I did everything I could to be very healthy. I walked as much as I could considering the leaking and catheter problems. You will become a recluse for sure for a couple of months.

I hope to hear from you if you need information and most importantly some support.

Please don't worry that won't help anything and only slow your recovery......Lots of Hugs to you
Sue
Unread 09-09-2000, 04:07 AM

Hi Barb
Yes there are unfortunatly more of us who know what you are going through. I am going in this week to repair my fistula. It started about 2 weeks post-op and hasn't healed itself. It hasn't been a fun summer. I am so looking forward to having this fixed. I am too young to feel this old. Fortunatly my gyn specializes is urosurgery(sp). This will be my 4th surgery in 20 months (not due to the fistula) so I understand how you feel.My first Dr. made mistakes that I am paying for now. I hate to keep putting my family through this, but they have been great through it all.You will make it Barb. We will be praying for you.I'll watch for your posts. There is no easy fix for this but you have friends here. Mimmi
Unread 09-11-2000, 11:46 AM
To Mimmi

Boy, it is nice to know I'm not alone on this. Do you know how long the surgery will be yet? I hope I'm not under the knife very long, last time it was 4 hours. How long is the hospital stay? That is another thing I hate to stay in the hospital..yuck! I'm hoping it will be a short stay and a short surgery! Let me know Please. I hope all went well for you!
Unread 09-11-2000, 02:38 PM
to Barb

My surgery is tomorrow morning so I'll be able to shed more light in a week or so. The Dr. said anywhere from 1-31/2 hours for the surgery, depending on how hard it is to get to the fistula and how difficult it is to seal up. They originally said probably an overnight stay, but now I have a lymphocele that is giving me problems too so I may have to stay longer. He also said I would have a catheter in for about 2 weeks to keep my bladder empty so things will heal right this time. That sounds like the worst part, but after 3 months of the leaking and having to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes it doesn't sound so bad. Today I am doing the evacu-kit to empty my bowels. Fun! Fun! I'll let you know how things go as soon as I am able. Mimmi
Unread 09-11-2000, 04:32 PM

Barb:
I have been sitting here for a week feeling totally sorry for myself because I seem to be having the same problems with the bladder as you. I had a TAH on 9/29 and 1 week later began peeing out of my vagina also!! To say the least, I was mortified. I called my dr. thinking I had a bladder infection and she prescribed an antibiotic. As you can guess, that did no good. I see the dr. tomorrow and hope to get some answers. Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who is need of Depends (although I refuse to use them - I just continue to hit the bathroom every hour or so). I hope all goes well with you and that you do not require additional surgery. That idea has me worried - don't really want to recover again. I'll be checking to see how things go with you. Best of luck.
Sharon
Unread 09-12-2000, 06:03 AM
Sharon

Yes, That is what happened to me too! Two weeks after my surgery I began to pee out of the vaginia!! I was terrified to find out more surgery is nessessary. They put in a catherter in me to see if it would heal up, but it does not look like it will. I'm trying to get myself ready mentally for another surgery...I'm not doing to well at all! I'm so depressed...and cry alot...I'm just plain old tired of all this! so tired....Please Sharon keep in touch....
Unread 09-12-2000, 04:56 PM

Barb:
Well, I went to the dr. this afternoon and guess what - I, too, have a fistula!!! I am pretty upset about this - it's only been 2 weeks since my surgery. My dr called a urologist and set me up an appointment for tomorrow at 1:30. She said that I would need another surgery (sound familiar) and that hopefully they can do it vaginally. If not, then I will have to be cut again. I guess the best thing to do is not speculate and wait until I talk to the urologist. I can't believe this!! I'm feeling great and was looking forward to getting out a little bit, but who can go far when there's constant leaking!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!! I will keep in touch and let you know what this new dr says. Take care, try not to cry - maybe call a friend who can put some humor in the situation - that seems to help me a little. I'll be talking to you soon.

Sharon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register