Just got back from post-op appt and I am still in shock!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just got back from post-op appt and I am still in shock!! Just got back from post-op appt and I am still in shock!!

Unread 05-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Just got back from post-op appt and I am still in shock!!

Well, I prayed todays Gyn appt would go as well as yesterdays PCM appt and I guess I did not pray hard enough or it was just too late!!

He went over the surgery and told me he was very surprised when he got in there and saw all of the adhesions and what was stuck together. My omentum (he described it as a blanket of fatty tissue that everyone has that drapes from the stomach down) was adhered to my vaginal cul-de-sac, and bowels adhered to the omentum. OK, WHERE did we get these weird blankets of fat and what are they there for???????? Anyway, he said mine was abnormally long and it sort of lays at the bottom of my pelvis now and GET THIS, I will more than likely have future problems with it adhering AGAIN. Cant he just cut what is not needed off?? I did not even know I had that in my body.

He said he put stuff in there to keep the adhesions from growing back but it may very well happen again. Talk about being brutally honest! I asked him about the current cramping I am having, and of course the pelvic exam he did just made it 100 times worse and he said I may just have to live with it because he did all he could do and going back in through an incision would do more harm than good. I do believe that, but IS THAT IT??

I PRAY that these cramps are just from the surgery, as he showed me all of the pictures and he did laser and cut ALOT in there, so I will just have to watch and wait. OH, dont forget,

RIght now my back is killing me and the pain meds are doing NOTHING for the nerve pain. I am just at a loss of words here.

Thankd for getting me through all of this dear sisters!! I need to go lay down now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2003, 04:44 PM

{{{Pam}}}
I'm so sorry the appointment wasn't more positive. I will be ing that the doc's worst case scenario does NOT happen. Do give yourself a chance to heal before you jump to conclusions. I know with each additional surgery I had after the hyst it took me a longer time to recover. Even the lap in November when the doc found nothing had me down for 4 weeks.

Unread 05-09-2003, 06:05 PM
So Sorry It wasn't better.

Pam Sweetie sometimes we seem to just get caught up in bad things. I will put those out there for you. Get lots of is always here. God bless you he will send down those to take care of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2003, 06:07 PM
(((Hugs, Pam)))

I am sorry your appt. was so disappointing. But maybe this will make you feel a little better. I am having cramping type pain too. I feel almost pain free when I am laying down, but when I sit (like I am now at the computer) or walk around I have these stabbing/cramping pains. I am hoping it is just gas pains or like you said just healing going on. I also forgot to tell you earlier that I also have that throat pain that your described after your lap. I am glad you had mentioned it, cause when I felt it I knew it was normal from the surgery. My pain meds aren't working as well either and it is frustrating me too. Well I am determined to keep positive and just give my body time to heal. My GYN did tell me that I would be very sore for a while now and the only reason that she is letting me go back to work next weekend is because I assured her I am a supervisor and don't have to do heavy lifting like the floor nurses do. Otherwise she wanted me off longer. And she didn't think I would feel like going back by then either. I don't have a choice though, I can't afford to take off any more.

We will get through this, we just have to take it one day at a time.

's

Pamela
Unread 05-09-2003, 10:35 PM

Oh, Pam, I'm sorry to hear you're still in pain. I know only too well what it's like to have pain that pain meds don't help. But give it some time. You're healing.

The omentum is an apron of tissue that hangs over the bowels and protects them. I had most of mine removed during my hysterectomy due to suspicion of cancer. So yes, it can be completely removed. However, it is thought to do some good in addition to protecting the bowels. It can encapsulate an infection, for example. I don't know why your doctor didn't remove yours, but I'm sure he had a reason. More surgery is always an absolute last resort, so hang in and things will probably get better.
Unread 05-09-2003, 11:58 PM

((((((Pam))))))

I'm sorry that your app. wasnt more positive
And I feel for you about the internal exam I know how much more pain those exams can cause us. My pain is usually going thru the roof for days after one of those.
And I know all too well how hard it is to hear a Dr. say that you will just have to "live with it". It took me a long time to come to terms with that. I hope & pray that all works out for you sweetie. Have you considered pain management ? Nerve pain is tough to deal with it - I have nerve damage & am controlling it somewhat with neurontin & methadone. And like you too, I have back pain.
Please get your rest & try to take it easy. We are always here for you

Susan
Unread 05-10-2003, 03:44 AM

Hi Pam,

I am so sorry you have to go through so much. I can relate to the omentum because that was a big topic of my dr's yesterday. Hopefully things will start looking up for you!

God Bless,
Terry
Unread 05-11-2003, 09:19 AM

Thanks sisters....

I know I sound like I am just really over reacting, and YES, I do take things like that really hard until I have time to think about them. It is a huge flaw of mine.

I know that the odds are probably 50/50 and I should not worry about it until it happens or I will drive myself crazy. I just did not want to hear that and really did not want to hear that he left something in there that is the sourse of the problem. He said my omentum actually lays in folds at the bottom of my pelvis. Why would he leave it like that if it is what will adhere to the vagina?

I also know adhesions, no matter where they are, can reform. It was as if he told me the endo was back and he could not get it all. I know that is not the same thing, but it sure was a bust in my bubble.

As for my back pain, it is driving me crazy. That is the BIGGEST problem I have and the odds of the injections working are also 50/50. I hate that this is looking like a life long debility and I have so many future plans that I now am unsure that I will be able to do. Can I physically carry a career as a Registered Nurse or is that career to demanding? As you all can see, I am not an optimistic person.

Anyway, thanks for being my rock and getting me through all of this.

I love you all and hope all of the Mothers out there are having a very Happy Mothers Day. I am working out that Motherly role today as my poor DS has the stomach flu and vomited all over his bedroom floor last nigh and still has a fever today. Poor little guy, I wish I could make it all go away..
Unread 05-13-2003, 07:11 AM

The omentum not only contains fat (the ole pot belly) but it prevents friction amongst the organs, aids in localizing infections and carries a good share of the blood supply to the intestines. Sometimes tissue from the greater omentum is used as a graft in rejoining tissues.
Unread 05-13-2003, 08:32 AM

((Crohnietoo))

You seem to know something about the greater omentum. I had a fistula repaired with that tissue but it failed. What caught my attention is it contains fat. I have been seeing a lot of fat like material coming through my cathater tube lately & have been wondering if it could be the omentum breaking down & coming through my hole in my bladder. Didn't have this before & am having surgery next week but just wondering if you knew?

Thanks,
Terry

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register