Mouth Sore = Might Postpone Chemo. Implications of That? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mouth Sore = Might Postpone Chemo. Implications of That? Mouth Sore = Might Postpone Chemo. Implications of That?

Unread 05-10-2003, 01:51 PM
Mouth Sore = Might Postpone Chemo. Implications of That?

Despite doing everything I could to avoid getting a mouth sore, I got one -- conveniently located on the tip of my tongue.

When I went in yesterday for my blood work, I had the nurse call my doctor about prescribing a "numbing mouth swish," as I'm concerned that the pain from the sore might prevent me from drinking enough water after chemo on Monday. The doctor and nurse conferred via phone, and he did prescribe a swish and lidocaine (to temporarily numb the pain).

The problem is . . . if the sore does not get a lot better by Monday, they will postpone my chemo until probably Friday. Apparently, they cannot by law give chemo to someone who has mouth sores, since my doctor said that if they gave me chemo with the sore, the sore would grow to one centimeter in size (which would be horrifying to me, since it is already pretty painful).

My question is: Does getting off your chemo schedule by a few days mess anything up? I had wanted to stay on schedule, but my body seems to be making other decisions. The nurse said a few days won't matter, but I wanted to check with you.

My white count is also kind of low. Normal is 4 through 11. Mine is 2.7. It's not low enough for neupogen (or whatever that medicine is), but . . . the nurse said that my low white count is probably why the mouth sore popped up.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2003, 03:38 PM

Hi
I got mouth sores after my 4th & 5th chemo. I too had mouth swish. They called it Miracle Mouthwash. It had equal parts Viscous Lidocaine, Benedryl, and Maalox. My sores cleared up in just 2 to 3 days after using the mouth swish.

I also had to have 1 Chemo postponed. I was 1 week late (4 wks instead of 3) between my 2nd & 3rd because of a DVT. My doctor assured me that this was well within a workable time frame. Still I got anxious & frustrated because things weren't on schedule.

I also had low WBC but the Neutraphils always bounced back in time for more Chemo.

Hope your mouth sores heal and your chemo goes smoothly.

Ruth S
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Sorry About Mouth Sore

I managed not to get anything like that during both series of chemos. BUT...both times I had to go to a four week schedule vs. three because of low counts. This had NO effect on anything and the Drs. were not concrened about a 1 week more wait. I know someone who had to go to a five week schedule due to problems. It's a pain-we WANT them done and over--but we can't damage ourselves or do something that would endanger us--so we wait...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2003, 07:37 PM

Hi Siren...

I heard about getting mouth sores but never did get one. When I went to the pre chemo introduction, I was told that in order to prevent mouth sores, I should swish and rinse with a non-alchol mouth wash a few times a day. I followed those directions to a tee and did not get any. However, I did not know that they cannot give you chemo if you do get them... are you really sure????

As for getting off schedule...my pre chemo instructor also told me that we need have the chemo schedule work around us and not us around it.

I was supposed to have my last treatment the Thursday before my sons wedding which was on Sunday... NO WAY was I going to be not feeling well for the wedding and all my doctors agreed. SO.... we just held off until after the wedding. No problem!!

Hope all goes well

Rosalie
Unread 05-11-2003, 12:47 AM

Thanks, everyone. I have been doing the baking soda mouth rinses right along. I think the low counts contributed to the sores. I'll be going for bland bland bland food from here on out, because this sore just *****.

I did read on www.oncologychannel.com that for Taxol and Carboplatin, the usual cycle is 21-28 days, which would mean that anything within four weeks would still be normal. So that made me feel a little better. At this point, I don't think the sore will be healed by Monday, but we'll have to see.

My nurse was the one that said they cannot by law give me chemo if I have a mouth sore. The doctor also said that if he gave me chemo, the size of my sore would immediately quintuple, which would be a mess. So he said he'd rather hold off. Though my white count is low, my neutrophils are normal, which is why I can apparently still go in for chemo (provided I don't have a mouth sore).

Thanks for your responses. They made me feel better. :-) I'm particularly happy to hear that pushing a cycle to four weeks doesn't have any effect on the chemo's effectiveness. That was all I was worried about.
Unread 05-11-2003, 08:00 AM

Hi Siren..

The name of the mouthwash that I used was REMBRANDT.. It is in a tall blue colored bottle. Make sure that it says NON ALCHOL BASED. Swish with it many times a day and you will not get the sores. I followed the directions and did not get any and neither did my friends husband.

Give it a try.

Rosalie
Unread 05-11-2003, 01:41 PM

I'm so sorry you have had this set-back but am hoping and praying that it will be very temporary. It sounds as though there is quite a bit of lee-way in the chemotherapy programme to accommodate this sort of thing though. My very best wishes to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register