PMS -- I can't go on like this! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PMS -- I can't go on like this! PMS -- I can't go on like this!

Unread 05-13-2003, 01:57 PM
PMS -- I can't go on like this!

Vbjacks:

I think your doctor behaved badly. I hope he was just having an off day and that maybe he will still work out for you (especially if you feel you are running out of other options).

Someone around here wrote a letter to her doctor and got great response from that. Perhaps you might consider writing a letter? Perhaps tell him that he did not seem himself at your last appointment and you left with the sense that he did not believe what you said about your calorie intake and exercise level and that you feel very frustrated by his response to what you feel is a genuine concern (not losing weight in spite of your efforts). If you still have faith in him as a doctor and feel that together you could work through this, then perhaps express that as well.

Just a thought/low cost option. I don't think he can bill you for reading a letter ....seeing him again to resolve this would be more expensive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2003, 03:50 PM

Bad doctor, bad day. I'm so sorry this happened to you!

I have a few ideas and you can take from this what you want and discard the rest:

You can log your miles and portions if you want; sometimes doctors get cynical for a reason (seeing lots and lots of other patients who ARE "non-compliant") and keeping records might set him straight. This might help you as well, as you might be eating so little that your body is hanging onto the weight because it thinks you're starving. This can happen.

You might also ask the doctor and/or your pharmacist, by phone or letter, if the drug company has a program for people in financial straits or if there's a generic SSRI antidepressant (like Prozac, for example) that would be cheaper for you. Explain that you WANT to take the drugs but CANNOT AFFORD THEM and ask if there's a cheaper substitute or if the doctor can give you samples to supplement what you can afford to buy.

But failing that, I hope the new BCPs help you and all of this becomes moot. I'm rooting for you!
Unread 05-13-2003, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the ideas (((Michelle))) and (((Denise))). I really appreciate them and very well might use them. I think things might have gone smoother had DBF gone with me to back up what I was saying. He was here with DS, but he will go to any future appointments.

I forgot to mention that he did give me several samples of the Effexor which will help. I take a total of 7 meds daily. While 2 of them are fairly inexpensive, the other 5 are quite high (even the generics) and there aren't "samples" available for 3 of them I know.

And (((Dany)))...I know I'm not imagining my symptoms either. Why would we? It's not like we are gaining anything from it. I took the Fastin this morning...against my better judgement, as I don't feel it is doing squat except making me grouchy and giving me a headache....and my head is pounding this afternoon.

Thank you all for being so wonderful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Just wanted to offer my support too.

I am sorry your appt. didn't go well. I know my PCP has had bad days before where he acted like a different person, but then the next time I go he is back to his wonderful helpful self. I guess doctor's have bad days too.
As for the fastin, how long have you been on it? I took fastin for 3 months and lost 30lbs on it, but then it quit working so I quit taking it. I have been off of it for about 6 weeks, so my doctor said I should be able to start taking it again and it should work. I took one this morning too and it did seem to help. If you are just starting the fasting then the side effects will last for about a week and should go away. The first week I ever took it I had headaches etc. too. But that did go away after that week and it never gave me another problem. The other advice I have about the cost of fastin is to call around. I called about 4 different pharmacies and got prices anywhere from over $50 to what I currently pay from Walmart which is $26.00. That is a big difference especially since it isn't covered by insurance anyway. I know what you mean about having trouble paying for your meds. I have to pick and choose sometimes which ones to get refilled cause I can't afford them. Oh well this too shall pass.

Don't give up. Things will get better soon.

's
Pamela

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register