incision pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

incision pain incision pain

Unread 05-12-2003, 02:05 AM
incision pain

I am now 12 weeks post op, and have just finished 25 external radiation.

I noticed about 2 weeks ago that my incision area seemed kinda tender when touched (after all the pain had gone away already).

At first I thought this happened because of laying on my tummy for yoga, so I stopped doing those poses, but now it still hurts.

Plus, a few days ago I noticed a "bump" right beside the incision, which feels like a marble is under my skin!! Does anyone know what I am talking about, and can it be related somehow to the radiation? I asked the doctor on duty yesterday when I had my treatment, but she was a very young intern and didn't know what to say. She said I must ask a surgeon. I hope the oncologist on my next visit in 2 weeks will be able to tell me something, but wouldn't mind knowing sooner. Any ideas?

Esther

Esther
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2003, 10:26 AM
Maybe a Hernia?

I'd ask your oncologist when you see him/her again if this is a hernia. I have a nice sized one (not!) at the top of my incision to the left. That's where off and on I'd get pain post surgery for some time. This is one possibility.
Unread 05-12-2003, 04:22 PM
incision pain

s Esther

Of course only your doctor can say for sure, but I tend to agree with Margaret. Sounds like an incisional hernia to me. I too have one at the top right side of my incision.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2003, 01:33 AM
incision pain

thanks!!

I never even heard of a hernia like that!

I made appointment for tomorrow morning with family doctor, and if that is what it is I guess he would know, it isn't like you need to be a gyn. or other specialty for it.

Esther
Unread 05-20-2003, 06:00 PM
hernia

I have a "knot" below the skin, near my incision - maybe a bit above it on the right side. Saw the doctor today, she had said at my one week check up (4 weeks ago) that it looked like I had popped a stitch and that it might take 3 months to go away, as that could be how long it takes the suture to break down. Today she said that worst case scenario was a hernia and that it would "announce" itself eventually if that was so. She didn't seem too concerned and we didn't really discuss treatment.

Those of you who know that is what you have - how was that determined? Are you being treated or considering treatment and if so, what?

Thanks for any info you can provide. Partly it's a vanity thing, I guess. But also, it really the only spot that is continuing to hurt, especially at the end of the day, when I twist, get up from reclining, etc.
Unread 05-20-2003, 10:23 PM
Esther,

I don't think it would be siture, (they aren't painful, at least mine wasn't) although when I had my c-section I did have some "popped internal" ones, and my gyn told me that it can take a year for those internal stitures to "heal" properly in that moist environment.

I never had a incision hernia, but I've of heard ALOT of people that do/did.

Just take it easy and rest, until you know for sure, and if it is a hernia I don't know what you do for that. hmmmmm...

Anyway, hope it doesn't become to painful, and take it easy in that area for now.

's and ers to you...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register