Not smoking | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-13-2003, 09:47 AM
Not smoking

Wow - I can't believe it. I didn't know what would happen, but I had my last cigarette on the morning of surgery even though I was supposed to stop 48 hrs ahead. Tough thing to do when you are so anxious and I had to wait until almost 4 pm for my surgery. I even took my cigs with me to hospital just to know they were there. I am not a heavy smoker, maybe 1/2 pack a day. Guess what. I didn't have one while in hospital (even outside) and haven't really felt like one since. I am now 8 days post and really hope I can stay off. Last night I had a dream about smoking.*punch* I guess I just have to take one day at a time. Yesterday I had to go for all the lung tests and I was having some chest tightness and I really don't want to have to go through that plus if anything should happen. I can't imagine what they do if you ever get lung cancer or lung disease. That scares me and I hope I never smoke again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2003, 10:10 AM
Not smoking

Hello,

I'm a smoker too and I have cut way back since my surgery. Doesn't it feel good. I hope I can get to the point where I stop completely like you.

Keep up the great work and I'll try to follow your example!!!

Sending you a great big

Patty
Unread 05-13-2003, 12:33 PM
Not smoking

Congradulations! Quitting smoking is one of the hardest addictions to overcome. I smoked for 30 years (I'm 44 years old) and had my hysterectomy in February. I had my last cig on my way to the hospital. This week will be my 12th week smoke free. I'm proud of myself....but its a hard haul. No matter what happens, don't smoke. You may gain a little weight, but don't fret, if you can shed the cigs....you'll be able to shed the few pounds later. Keep up the good work!!! Stay strong!!

sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2003, 01:56 PM
Not smoking

Congrats on the 12 weeks and to Nighthawk for 8 days!!!!
I smoked my last cig right before I entered the castle. Literaly put it out walking in the door, lol. I havent smoked since and that will be 6 weeks tomorrow.
I still crave them really really badly. That morning cup of coffee just isnt the same!!!!!!!!!
But I am getting through!!
Unread 05-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Not smoking

Hey suecurrieb52 - I see you are from Barrie, - is that Ontario. My family are all in Barrie. It really is a good feeling, but it is still early. I will keep trying and hope it lasts. Let me know where you are from.
patches1984 - I know if I can do this so can you. I didn't smoke a lot (1/2 pack/day), but it still is tough. I'm really going to try. SO is a non-smoker is is very happy I haven't had a cig since a week ago Monday.
Unread 05-13-2003, 02:11 PM
Not smoking

I'm new at this, so I hope I'm doing this properly. Yes, I'm from Barrie Ontario, Canada. You mentioned that your family is here. Did you live here before too?

Again, to all of you who have quit smoking - please don't give in to this terrible addiction. Keep strong and just keep saying NO to that little other person in your head that wants you to cave!!!

sue
Unread 05-13-2003, 04:18 PM
suecurrieb52

No, I have never lived in Barrie. My daughter lives in Hollywoods (Mapleview & 27) and my mom lives in condo at Centennial Beach. Also my brother and sil live in the same building. My son lives in Aurora and I live near Ballantrae. Small world isn't it. Where in Barrie do you live? The town is growing so fast.
Thanks for the support from all those who responded to my initial post re smoking. Congrats to the others - 6 weeks and 12 weeks. I hope I make it.
I am 55 and think that it's time after about 35 years of smoking.
Unread 05-14-2003, 07:21 AM
Not smoking

Yes, Barrie is growing!!! Sometimes I think too fast. I live in the East end. I don't know if you are familiar with Amelia Street - or perhaps St. Mary's Church....but that's where I am. I'm very familiar where your children and mom live. Do you come to Barrie often? Where is Ballantrae? How is your recovery coming along?
Unread 05-14-2003, 08:22 AM
Not smoking

To other newbie non smokers;

I am three weeks post op and have not had a cigarette for three weeks and 1 day.

Actually, a month before surgery - put on the patch and did not smoke for three weeks - one week before surgery - no patch and the cravings were SO bad. I had 1-2 cigarettes per day 1 week prior to surgery. I figured this was not TOO bad athough dr. recommended NO SMOKING 1 month prior and no nicotine 1 week prior. Well I almost did it :-)

I am hell bent on being a NON smoker from here on in. The actually nicotine addiction must be over with - i understand it is three days to physically get off nicotine....the tough part is the mental - morning coffee- hmmmm , sitting on back deck just enjoying the birds - hmmmmm, sitting on the front porch - hmmmm - well let's face it the list is endless.

Gotta keep thinking of the positive. The other day - someone from work visited me and they must have just had a cigarette - WOW - i try to keep remembering how they smelled and vowing not to smell like that again.

Good luck to all and time does heal all addictions :-)))))
lucie
Unread 05-14-2003, 08:46 AM
Not smoking

Congrats!!!! It is very hard. What helped me alot was the fact that I spent most of the day alone and was able to deal with cravings as they came and went. I do know there was a time I tried to quit when my kids were teens....and well that didn't work very well. This time I kept telling myself that I would not have the opportunity of "timing" again. My stay in the hospital after my hysterectomy......added to the time at home and support from family and friends......would be hard to ever come about again. Although I still love the smell of smoke.....I gag when I smell the smoke on young children (because their parents smoke) and the smell of smoke on someone's breath!! YUK!

Please stay strong. I am living proof that this can be beat because I didn't quit really because of health reasons.....I loved to smoke.....but I refuse to pay $8 for a pack of cigarettes!!

By the way, my house and car has never smelled so clean and fresh!

Stay Strong!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register