Radiation and Sexual Function | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Radiation and Sexual Function Radiation and Sexual Function

Unread 05-13-2003, 02:28 PM
Sexual Function

Hi there,

I'm pretty numb right now. I just returned from my post op exam and was told that I should go through radiation as well.

I'm only 30, single and am really, really worried about sexual function and libido after the radiation. I plan to take hormones, but despite that I'm scared nothing will be the same.

Is there anyone out there who can relay their experiences with intimacy and menopause (with hormones) after radiation or after removal of their ovaries?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kristine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2003, 06:02 PM
Radiation and Sexual Function

Hi Kristine,

A big hug from me to you! I cannot comment on radiation (have not experienced it) but I know others will be here to help you. I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry the treatment is more complicated than perhaps you thought and, for what it's worth, I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

Beth
Unread 05-14-2003, 04:49 AM

hi kristine, i know how you feel about the extra treatment. at first i was told i needed nothing else, then they said lets get a radiation oncologist on board, then i had three internal radiation treatments for endometrial cancer. i am a lot older than you, 56, but as far as the radiation went i certainly am still enjoying relations just need to use lubrication. in fact my drs. say intercourse is a good thing or you will need to use a dilator. so am happy to report in my case all is well. sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2003, 12:14 PM

Hi Squeaker,

Thanks for your input. I'm wondering, are you on HRT? Is that why you must rely on lubrication?

Thanks,
Kristine
Unread 05-14-2003, 03:28 PM

hi no with internal radiation, guess it dries it up, gross i know and then they reccomend some type of gel. i can't take hrt's because of the cancer. sue
Unread 05-14-2003, 08:43 PM

I'm on HRT, I take premiran 1.25 I also had 30 external radiation, and a 3 day implant. I can tell you my sexual relations now is okay, but I am currently undergoing chemo now, so that may be something too.

After my radical hyst, I was scared that he would go right through me, stupid I know, but that is what I thought. I have no lubricating problems at all. However, when I was undergoing radiation they did tell me also, to have sex, or use a dilater, apparently radiation can cause the vagina to contract, and if you don't open it up, I was told it would be very painful, even for just normal paps.

so my BF was happy that I HAD to have sex for medical purposes.

Remember everyone is different, you'll get through this, and remember to talk to your radiaologist nurse, they are great and can help you with any questions, or problems you may have. Mine was great! She even showed me the dilaters they have all sizes, cause I was a bit puzzled about them.

's and ers to you. I'm sure all will be well, it may just take some time and patience.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register