Another surgery...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Another surgery...... Another surgery......

Unread 05-13-2003, 06:30 PM
Another surgery......

I hadn't been feeling all that well the last couple of weeks of April but I just chalked it up to end of year rush. Then I had this horrible pain in my left side, like runner's cramp only I hadn't been running. So I started taking antacids stuff for indigestion. It'd get better then really bad. A little background 10/00 had right ovary removed due to cysts and endometreosis. then 1/01 had hysterectomy (TVH) leaving 1 ovary for hormones. Well the pain got so bad I had to go to the ER and they found a cyst on my ovary. The radiologist said he suspected cancer as my ovary was enlarged. So I was sent home from the ER with pain meds and antibiotics and instructions to see my doc. When I finally got to him, 3 days later, I thought I was dying in pain. Little did I know how close to dying I was. There was no cyst on my ovary. . It was what is called ovarian torsion, where it twists and cuts the blood supply off and swells. My dr. immediately did surgery to remove my ovary and appendix and now I am home going through surgical menopause at 36! I was in the hospital 4 days. My kids are at my mil's 2 1/2 hours away. They came to see me on mother's day, but I still miss them so much. I have this huge incision. I really am lucky to be here, but I am still so down. I really appreciate you guys listening. My dh has gone on a fishing trip for the week so I am here all alone. His plans had been made so long ago there was really no reason for him no to go. He would be at work if not on his trip. Still there's a lot of good and bad to be alone. It's lonely, but it's nice and quiet. My mother lives next door and is in and out, in and out. She means well, but jeepers she is making me a little jumpy. She wants me to go to her house but I am fine here. So last night she comes slipping in around 9:30pm and spent the night. She means well. I know she is worried. My ovary had that gangrene (sp?) all over it and I was pretty infected. I feel like from the way she is acting she knows more than I do about what the dr. found and said, but he will tell me at my check-up. He's been my dr. for 12 years, delivered all my kids and operated a lot lately so he'll tell me what has made her so concerned. I know the path report came back fine. I am on a hormone patch and trying to adjust I am sort of having a hard time with all of this, a little depressed. I can't drive for 4 weeks, can't lift anything, can't take care of my kids . I am hoping my mom and I can meet my mil 1/2 way on Thursday and get the kids, then they can stay with her for a few more days. I miss them like crazy. They are 3,6,8. My ds,3yo, gets on the phone in the saddest voice you've ever heard "I miss you mama, I wanna come home" Breaks my heart. It stinks being dependant too! my dr. first thought he could do a laporoscopy, but there was so much interwined, he had to do a laparotomy. I have never had an incision before, not this size anyway. I am a little freaked out. I have always bounced right back from surgery, but now I feel like crap! I am tired tired tired. I have gone through boughts of insomina. Getting a shower wears me out. I finally today walked out to my chicken coop only to find a dead chicken. my first instinct was grab the dead bird, then I realized I can't. When can I safely lift things. My dr. said no driving for 4 weeks, and I don't remember how long before lifting. I have just loved this board. There is such a wealth of info, however in searching for ovarian torsion I couldn't find anything. I really thought after the TVH that was it. I did start having hot flashes and night sweats a few days before the pain started but I had no idea this was a gyn problem....again! Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2003, 04:52 AM
Another surgery......

First let me offer you some great big 's....

You sure have had a rough time sweetie, But just think...it's all behind you now!!!! And now you can focus on getting well and being a good princess!!

I know it's hard being away from the kidlets....But in the long run it really is a good thing. 3 yr olds can get pretty jumpy and want to be in mom's lap and with your tummy being sore it's just not good to have to worry about that. You can take this time to concentrate on YOU so that later on you can enjoy the kidlets that much more. These next few weeks you need to heal....and healing takes time from a surgery like this.

I have had several surgeries and can understand your frustration and grief very well. Again...you need to take this time for YOU!! YOU are the most important person right now. I know it's hard being dependent on others but try to remember it's only for a few weeks. With your kidlets at Mom's you don't have to worry about entertaining them...getting up and cooking...picking up after them...all the laundry that goes with it. These are ALL things you shouldn't be doing for the first few weeks....Try to think of it as a break well deserved. It's also good for them!!!! It teaches them so much when they get to stay with others for a time...it matures them...and makes them apprecitate mom just a little more when they do get home.....even at the age of 3!!!

I went on a hunt for some info for you and following is a few links to that info....sometimes knowing what we had and why can help so much in our mental frame of mind.

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic353.htm

http://www.emedicine.com/radio/bynam...an-torsion.htm

http://www.ohsu.edu/ps-DiagRadiol/kojima/ovtorsion.htm

In regard to your HRT....I started my HRT at 38 and have been on it for 2 years. It can take some adjusting and a little time for your body to adjust...Keep up with your doc about your flashes and nightsweats and other menopause symptoms so that adjustments can be made as nessasary. If you take a trip over to the forum "the hormone jungle" you will be able to find tons of info over there and find many ladies dealing with the same thing.

http://www.hormonejungle.com/

There are a lot of pull down menus that you can refer to also and pull what info you would like from there. Some depression is normal while you heal but if it gets bothersome and you don't feel like it's getting better please talk to your doc about...he/she can give something to help you over the hump.

It's going to take some time to get the energy back but come back it will....having more than one surgery seems to make this a tad worse but try to bear with it and rest when you need to without guilt....it's your body's way of healing sweetie.

I hope this helps a tad....We'er here for you when ever you need us!!! You have lots of sis's to hold your hand now!!!

lots of 's

Dawn
Unread 05-14-2003, 06:53 AM
Another surgery......

Oh my, what a lot you have on your plate right now! I sure hope everything will turn out just fine when you see your dr. It sounds like you have a lot of loving, supportive people surrounding you. I am not really a good one to give advice on depression as I am up & down myself. Some medications do help me. When I am at my worst I just try to dwell on all the things that I am grateful for & try to push the bad underneath. Easier said then done when your in pain!

God Bless,
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2003, 07:19 AM
Another surgery......

Thanks so much ladies! I knew I couldn't come here for support! I am getting to the frustrated stage, I can walk around a little better but still can't anything! When will it quit hurting so much. I called dr. for more pain med as I was out, Monday. She called in 15 darvocet. They will gone be today!?! Seems like they did that during my TVH too but I can't remember. I know I called every week for 4 weeks for refills then. I just wish she'd put a refill on them. Am I being whiny enough yet? I live in a small town and pharmacy is open M-F only, unless I really inconvience my mom to drive 30 miles 1 way to get meds. she'd do it too, it's just convience to go a mile or so up the road. Okay, I am going to take a pain pill and will check in later! ;<)
Unread 05-14-2003, 07:57 AM
I am sorry you are in so much pain.

I didn't quite catch what date you had your surgery, but it seems like it was fairly recently like within the last week or so? If this is the case it is no wonder you are still in so much pain. When do you go for a check up? I had my hyst last June and I remember when I was around 2 weeks post op I had such terrible pain that had actually increased from what it was before. The day I was to have my staples removed I woke up in a bed full of drainage. So I went to my appt and they found that I had a seroma which is a pocket of fluid. I ended up having to have my incision packed for the next 8 weeks, but my point is that if your pain is still that bad you might have something else going on inside that needs to be addressed. Maybe a trip to the doc's office is in order and you can ask then and there for pain meds with refills. You should not have to suffer.
As far as the kids go, I know how you feel about missing them like crazy. I would too. The only time I have EVER been away from mine is when I was in the hospital. But you do need this time to rest and recouperate. If you have someone to care for them by all means let them. My problem is I don't have anyone else who will care for my kids except my dh or my oldest kids who are sixteen and seventeen. (my others are thirteen and three year old twins).
Well I am glad you came here for some hugs and support, now get back to bed young lady!

's
Pamela
Unread 05-14-2003, 08:19 AM
Another surgery......

Hi

Everything you are feeling is absolutely normal. Sounds no different than many others (me included) who had a big incision for a hysterectomy.

As for when you can do things, it really depends on how you are and what your doctor tells you. Be a good and really do what your doctor and your body tell you. It's important for your healing.

I wanted to say that, as a mother of grown children, I think it's quite possible that your mother does not know of something other than what you know. She sounds to me like she's acting like I would feel like acting if one of my daughters had major surgery that just saved her life. I hope it's not too irritating to you. She almost lost a daughter she loves to pieces. She is obviously wanting to help you. Maybe she's overdoing it a bit in terms of what you want, but her concerns are probably not much different than what most mothers would have. Look how much you miss your kids and they aren't even at risk!!

As for lifting - I wasn't allowed to lift my then two-year-old granddaughter for close to three months.
Unread 05-14-2003, 08:45 AM
Another surgery......

Pamela my surgery date was Tues. 6th in the afternoon, I was wheeled to my room at 7:30 acccording to dh. I don't really feel like there is anything more than normal healing going on, I just don't remember still aching this much from my hysterectomy, which was vaginal, not an incision. I guess I should just quit comparing the surgeries because this is like no other I have had. They had my intestines out, had to untangle my bowels from the dead tissue. I guess it just seems so surreal to me. I watch a tv commercial, this one in particular about Excedrin Tension headache reliever, I think Gosh I thought I was really having a bad day when I was having a tension headache, at least I could cook, or do laundry. Am I just having a pity party or what?!?!

Joselle, you are so sweet. It helps to hear from someone that can speak from my mom's perspective. Bless her heart she has been through so much because of my health. I haven't said anything to hurt her feelings or offend her, even if she has crowded me a bit. I will just come tell you guys! LOL!

Thanks for all the encouraging words! It really does help!
Unread 05-14-2003, 11:12 AM
Well that explains it.

You are just over one week post op. No wonder you are still in pain. With an abdominal incision it does take longer for the pain to stop. Just take it one day at a time and in the mean time please ask your doctor to treat your pain. I just don't understand when doctors under prescribe pain medicine after surgery. I guess because most of them have never been through it so 30 pills taken every 4 hours seems like plenty. Which in actuality is only 5 days worth and I don't know many people who after 5 days feel good enough not to need pain control.
Your mom sounds like she really cares about you. Feel free to vent about her here. My mom gets on my nerves too, so I vent to my sister often. That way I get over my frustration and she doesn't get her feelings hurt. So we are your sisters, vent away.

's
Pamela

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register