scared of surgery! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scared of surgery! scared of surgery!

Unread 05-13-2003, 07:57 PM
scared of surgery!

hi;GEiTTING READY FOR CASTLE AND I JUST CAN'T RELAX!I am reading alot of information here and some of it really scares me. Does anyone have an easy time with this surgery?Does everyone experience this horrible gas? Does everyone feel bad for four to six weeks? I understand that some people need advice and so they likely post their problems,I wish someone out there would say everything was going better than they expected.Anyone having encouraging news would be appreciated. KARR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2003, 08:03 PM
scared of surgery!

Hi Karr, I actually had a fairly easy time with my surgery. But, I was very good the entire 6 weeks until my doctor released me. I had some gas, but walking easy helped relieve most of mine. I didn't have terrible pain nor was I terribly uncomfortable. I did have some discomfort, but as long as I behaved myself, I really did fairly well. Plan on being pampered for the entire first 6 weeks, then listen to your body after that. That's what I did, and I did well. Hopefully that will work for you too.
Take care!
Unread 05-13-2003, 08:11 PM
6 months post and doing great!!

Hi Karr: I saw your post and remember feeling the same way. I didn't find this site till after my surgery but it has been great. You are right, a lot of posts are of problems, but there are some that are great too. I am 6 months post op LAVH/BSO and Bladder Sling and doing great. It was the best decision that I ever made. I only wish I would have done it sooner. The gas was no fun but not unbearable for me. I never even had a pain pill at the castle, after I got off PCA pump. I only had one when I got home that first day and none since!!! I felt extremely tired for about the first 2 weeks then slowly got my strength back. I think I feel so good now cause I took my doctors advice (and the advice of the ladies here) and took care of myself. I never really felt "bad" after my surgery. Just sore for a few days then tired. Compared to the heavy periods I had the surgery was a walk in the park. Now I feel like I've been given a new start. My DH and I went to this huge, huge flea market that is twice a year on Thursday. We walked about 6 miles over a period of 6 hours looking and shopping and I never had to say that I had to find a bathroom, or that I needed to stop cause I was hurting. It was 90 degrees and I felt wonderful. My purse is so much smaller now that I don't have to carry tampons, pads, etc. lol. Hope this gives you some encouragement. I think attitude has a lot to do with the type of recovery you have and I hope your surgery and recovery is speedy like mine has been. God Bless You.

LaDonna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2003, 08:11 PM
Hello...

Hi there,

I'm 2 weeks post-op tomorrow and I feel FINE! I am actaully having to force myself to stay sitting and not get up and do things that are not approved yet by the doc. I went out all day Saturday and Monday and enjoed it!

I had some complications immediately after discharge (one was a colon problem and the other was an infection that they treated through IV antibiotics) but honestly, my recovery has been awesome! I'm thrilled with the results and haven't had the dreaded gas pains. I get twinges of pain...but nothing that hurts much.

I know what it's like to be afraid...I freaked out so much before surgery...but honestly, I'm totally happy now and would do it again if I had to! The hardest time for me was immediately after surgery (they didn't allow visitors in post-op and I didn't know that and I cried for my DH) and then the colon problem I had that required 3 more days inpatient, but that problem was most likely provoked from my history of laxative abuse from an eating disorder, so don't fret over that, okay?

Seriously...have your comfy PJ's ready for your recovery and have your tummy pillow nearby.

Don't fret over the things you read here that are scary. Remember that each thing is a seperate experience...it's not all happening to the SAME person, and most of us don't have these problems...that's why they are complications and not routine.

I know you're scared...but it's truly going to be okay. I'm VERY HAPPY I had this done...I feel like I've got a new chance to live my life without pain and bleeding...and I'm anxious to get out and do EVERYTHING!

Rita
Unread 05-13-2003, 08:26 PM
scared of surgery!

I can honestly say that my surgery was not what I expected. I expected worse and got really great. I kept expecting a lot of pain, but the pain from my periods was a lot worse than what I experienced from my surgery. I kind of cheated because I had endometriosis surgery last September so that was really a preview of this surgery. I thought this was a breeze - plus I had a great .

They also say that you have to remember that a lot of ladies who have great surgeries don't always post.

The most uncomfortable part of mine was the gas, but it was always managable with Gas-Ex and my body-length massage pad and it was gone in 4 or 5 days. (I forgot about my massage pad with my endo surgery!) If it is a problem for you, at least you have some ideas from this site to try.

I had no complications with the anesthesia (unusual for a redhead) and everyone was surprised at how alert I was. I was up and walking that evening and went home the next morning.

I had just a few days that weren't great (mostly because I tried to do something I shouldn't have), but you learn to just take it easy those days and "this too shall pass."

Good luck! This is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I would do it again in a minute. But those pre-surgery jitters are probably the worst part of the whole thing.

Barb
Unread 05-13-2003, 08:27 PM
scared of surgery!

I had a TAH and it was not as bad as I thought it would be. I was up and moving around in the castle with no problems 48 hours after surgery. Took a few pain meds in the castle and one at home. That's it. Never really had pain, except for the gas pain that hit me 11 days post. The worst of it was 3 days worth. I had my ups and downs, but basically it wasn't an unpleasant experience. So glad to be done with the bleeding, the never ending pads, the migraines, the infections. Never knew I would be feeling this good. I still have swelly 4 months post. Some days are good; some are bad. I know it will go away in time. It has been so worth it. It is a great blessing to me
Unread 05-13-2003, 08:30 PM
Here's an encouraging story

Now first I must say that everyone is different in their recovery. Now that I've said that, I'll let you know how mine was. I felt bad at the castle (Thursday until Saturday). Saturday night I came home and did a load of laundry, ate Sonic food, and walked up and down the street. I woke up and couldn't sleep again, so 4:00 am, I'm strolling my cul-de-sac.

Monday (4 days post-op) I started having some gas pains. It was not a constant pain, just more like a sharp pain that lasted anywhere from 30-45 seconds. Actually, I did some lamaze breathing and I felt better. By Wednesday, I had not had a bm and I knew that was the cause of the gas pains. I drank a bottle of Milk of Magnesia and took two Ducolox. The next day, I had my first bm. The first week, I had some trouble sleeping, so the dr. prescirbed some Ambien. I took them three nights and that really helped me to get the rest I needed.

I continued to feel better each day. By the 9th day, I went to my friends son's concert and walked about 1 mile from parking lot and back. By day 11, I felt good enough to drive my son to school and back each day.

By week three, I was feeling great. I did all the things I did before except lifting. I couldn't believe that I felt so good. I have had no bouts of exhaustion at all. In fact, I think I have more energy now than before the surgery. I too kept reading posts of how bad some of the sisters were feeling and I got scared, really scared. I almost cancelled the surgery.

I'm 6 weeks on Thursday and I was relased last Friday. I am so happy that I had it done and I feel so good now that it's hard to believe that it's only 6 weeks and I'm back to normal.

The hard part is knnowing how you are going to feel afterward. I would take it easy and just listen to your body. Don't do anything that would jeopardize your recovery. Your dr. will give you your restrictions and follow them.

Good luck and I hope this helped you to see that not everybody has a rough time of it. Just remember to walk and drink water and rest. It's your time to be a princess!

Pam
Unread 05-13-2003, 09:26 PM
scared of surgery!

I think the waiting sometimes it the worst part. I had a TVH and didn't have a bad time at all. Again, like Nanc said, I was a very good Princess the entire six weeks. In fact because of my past history, although my Dr released me at three weeks for sex and driving she didn't want me to vaccum, mop, or lift anything over ten lbs for eight weeks and I listened to her. I have had too many surgeries to remove adhesions, didn't want to go thru it again. I had very little gas pains, maybe for the first day and a bit of walking helped that. I had some minor pain, but the pain from the surgery was no more than IBU could take care of. The most pain I had was from the horrid hemmohroids I got after. Just remember to do everything just as your Dr tells you to do and take it very easy. Drink alot of fluids, get a bit of slow walking in and rest, rest, rest.
Unread 05-14-2003, 07:52 AM
scared of surgery!

I know everyone is different. I am 4 weeks post-op from a vaginal hyst and a second surgery where they did a vertical incision 3 days after. But, I feel awesome. I still have a little gas, I still feel a little sore at the end of the day but I am amazed at the difference between week 3 & 4! I am back at work and will hopefully be exercising again within two weeks. I still cant lift over 10 pounds and I am taking it easy at work as well.I have not used any pain meds since I left the hospital(prescription) and I quite needing advil around week two.
I guess I am saying it is still sore but nothing unbearable by a longshot.

I will say that after your surgery take little walks as soon as they will allow you and stand up straight as you can. I have always work on my abs and I naturally keep it all tucked in, I did that afterwards and it made a huge difference.

Also, at week 4 I have not gained a pound, I am 126 and went into surgery at 134. Even with my complications all of my pre-surgery concerns like unbearable pain and weight gain were not true.

The only weird thing that happened,(I kept my ovaries) is that I got hot flashes and insomnia for the first week home. The Dr. said it was from the anesthesia and pain meds in the hospital. I guess he was right because it cleared up in about a weeks time.

Good luck with your surgery and stay positive, it does go by rather quickly even though it does not seem like it in the beginning.
Unread 05-14-2003, 08:01 AM
a wonderful recovery story

I had a TAH on April 7 Im in my sixth week of recovery. Before my surgery I had the same feelings you are having, i read lots of scary posts here too. I thought about canceling my surgery even. (Glad I didnt) The only pain I really had was gas for 2 days after surgery. Ive been telling people even now I never really felt like i had major surgery. i had no pain after the gas. i never even experienced the fatigue everyone warned me about (I am 34 years old) I dont know If Its my age that helped with that But I have no regrets about the surgery. Everything I panicked about never happened. So please try to relax and dont worry I understand Its hard not to worry But alot of times what we worry about never happens. I hope hearing our positive stories helps you. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register