Bend It Like Beckham - cautious recommendation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bend It Like Beckham - cautious recommendation Bend It Like Beckham - cautious recommendation

Unread 05-14-2003, 03:27 AM
Bend It Like Beckham - cautious recommendation

This is a British film that has been described as a combination of Billy Elliot and East is East, about a British gal from an Indian family that wants to play soccer.

Differences: She's older than the boy in Billy Elliot (actually about to start university) and there's none of the violence that marred East is East.

I liked the idea and the characters, but it didn't click 100% -- I think the problem was it was a bit too long and had one ending too many, a common problems with films.

Not for little kids, I'd say for 13+ (ratings aren't used here). Some suggested sex (hot and heavy in the back seat) and rough language (including racist taunts on the pitch).

But if you like women's soccer and / or British films it's worth seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2003, 01:03 PM

Thanks Marian, for the review. I was thinking of taking my DD to see this (she is ten), but now that you've given me an idea of the content, maybe she is still a little young for it. They're playing commercials for it on Nickolodeon here all the time (hence DD asking to see it), but I guess I'll pass and wait for it to come to DVD (then I'll see it, lol).

s

Marta
Unread 05-23-2003, 10:44 AM

Well, that's why I try to be so detailed.

Oh, it has a lot of Monsoon Wedding in it also, when big sister gets married (great scene of our heroine fleeing the wedding to play in crucial game, soccar togs under her sari!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2003, 06:17 PM

I just wanted to add my about Billy Elliot. The story is an amazing story! The only thing I did not like was the language- it seemd that every other word was the F word.... I don't see how that enhances a movie at all (I realize this is based on a true story) but I feel like alot of people would be able to see it if it was a more PG type rating. IMHO.

Lamb and Lion
Unread 08-03-2003, 11:05 PM
Billy Elliot

You know, Billy Elliot was such a good movie, I barely noticed the f-word, and certainly didn't think it's use was out of place. Giving the education level and poverty and frustration of the characters I didn't find it gratuitous.

It wasn't like some of the American "youth movies" where it's every other word just for the sake of sticking it in.

On one hand I see your point about the PG rating, but given the sexuality issue (the jock who turns out to be gay), which was certainly important and integral) I don't think it would have made it anyway.

Didn't know it was based on a true story, though!
Unread 08-04-2003, 12:58 AM
Thumbs up - Bend It Like Beckham - cautious recommendation Bend It Like Beckham - cautious recommendation

Hi Marian,
I loved the movie !
Have you seen "My big fat greek wedding"?
That one is great too.
greetings
Chava
Unread 01-03-2004, 07:27 PM

I loved "Bend it like Beckham," but perhaps it's not quite appropriate for a 10 year-old...Maybe at 12 or 13?

Another movie I really liked (in fact, I think it may be by the same director) was "Bhaji on the Beach," about a group of Indian women who go on a day outing to the seaside at Blackpool together and end up really bonding across generations. One young girl has just found out she's pregnant by her Jamaican boyfriend, another has fled an abusive husband, and there's a wonderful older woman who has a very rich fantasy life straight out of Bollywood movies. Very funny and moving. No actual sex (although one scene takes place in a male strip club!), but still probably not for the under 12 set.

Best,

Leslie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register