estradiol fuels endo? calling endo. sisters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

estradiol fuels endo?  calling endo. sisters estradiol fuels endo? calling endo. sisters

Unread 05-14-2003, 09:58 AM
estradiol fuels endo? calling endo. sisters

Hi ladies,
I wasnt sure whether to post this here or in the hormone jungle..
but I just was reading a webpage that i stumbled upon by accident and there was some info on endo. and hormones aaffects to it......

here is the part that really caught my attention!!!!..................

Estradiol produced during a normal menstrual cycle goes into the cell receptor and stimulates the cell receptor strongly stimulating endometriosis to grow. However, estrone and estriol go into the same receptor and stimulates it weakly blocking out estradiol (estradiol stimulates the endometriosis to grow).

Ok My question and concern......
even though I have had a total hyst. I am on the estradiol patch ... therefore will this make my endo. grow right back???
surely my doctor knew the might be affects before putting me on this patch ??!!!
what do you know about this????????

I found this @ www.endo101.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2003, 11:15 AM
Same boat

I have your concern as well. I also had an LAVH/BSO for endo and am using the Vivelle dot patch.

They did the hyst 4 weeks ago (I think we had the same date) and then yesterday I had my gallbladder taken out. They knew there was something wrong with it, but they couldn't figure out what was causing the painful episodes. Well when the doc took it out he said there was endo in behind the gallbladder and adhesions all around it.

Now that I know that this endo is affecting more than just my pelvic region, I am worried that it will soon be affecting other areas as well. I wonder if I should be on any kind of hormone replacement therapy at all.
Unread 05-14-2003, 11:21 AM

hi ladies,
I'm 22 days post op TVH/BSO lots of endo. My dr put me on the climera patch (estrogen) so I don't have the hot flashes and told me that estrogen feeds endo. so she put me on provera to counter act that...she said this is for short term, maybe a year.
xoxo,
lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2003, 12:20 AM

Hi there, fellow endo sufferers!

I've seen your link, and it's a pretty simplistic explanation of the whole estradiol thing (as well as, apparently, a "plug" for Dr. Lee).

Endo does interfere with the estradiol break-down, and it may be that those of us with endo should consider adding in some estriol to our hormonal mix to help out. I have also found that taking Prometrium (bio-identical, oral progesterone) seems to have helped keep symptoms at bay.

But there are far more variables than that. Some doctors remove all the endo that they can; many recommend going estrogen-free for a period of time (typically from 3-6 months) in order to make the endo "die off"; and for some of us, the BSO is enough. The estrogen replacement we take is far below what our bodies used to manufacture.

Meanie, endo implants have been discovered in lungs and other organs outside the pelvic cavity. There is some thought that the endo cells can travel through the lymph system (lots of lymph nodes in the pelvis). This may have been some of the mechanism in your gall bladder woes .

You'll find in reading here that some of us have gone without estrogen for varying periods of time, often using Provera (a non -bio-identical progestin ) or Prometrium. Others have gone onto estrogen replacement immediately with no apparent ill effects. Still others have tried estrogen, found a return of their endo pain, and gone off. We are all so different -- in what surgeries we had, in where the endo was found and its degree, and in our needs, it's very hard to predict who will and will not have problems.

I also try to do many of the same things that are recommended for patients with other auto-immune things, like arthritis, etc. Since so much of the problems with endo stem from the inflammation that the "foreign" implants cause, anything you can do in terms of diet or supplements to reduce inflammation can't hurt, and might even help. If you take a look over on the No-Hormone Desert Oasis , you'll find a number of fellow endo sufferers whose experience may help you chart your own path.

My own choice was to stay off estrogen for three months (I tried for longer, but osteoporosis is a huge risk factor for me, and my eyes dried out), and when I did go on, I went onto the lowest dose available (.025 Vivelle). I've gradually increased my dose, but I continue to take the Prometrium to balance it. So far, other than a few twinges which may also be adhesions, I've done OK with this regiment (I've also been using an Estring for vaginal health). I've not had that searing, knifelike pain that my endo used to cause! And, since adeno and endo go hand in hand for so many of us, getting rid of the adeno made a huge difference in my overall well-being.

Best of luck to you all. This is a decision which is still argued heatedly in the OB-GYN community, which is deeply divided on the issue. And so much depends upon the skill of your surgeons, and their ability to find and resect all implants that they find. I hope all of you find that your endo is gone for good .

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register